Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Successes!

Postby benebarba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:59 am

Grats Treckie!
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 am

Partial success: Last day of my rotation, and we're going out for Greek :D

partial because this was a really good rotation, in a good team, where I learned a ton and got interested in an area I never even knew about. And let's face it, getting to test a million dollar prototype vehicle is fun that's tough to beat.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:42 am

what vehicle is this?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 am

Klaudandus wrote:what vehicle is this?

It's a Ford hybrid program, but I can't actually say more (nothing cool like a spacecraft :P). And admittedly, that number is high- it includes other costs as well.
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 am

Ah, NDAs -- fun.

Don't know if I'll ever switch back to Ford though... would consider them again if they went for the 5yr warranty/10yr powertrain like the korean car companies

Not to mention they killed my favorite vehicle in their lineup (Sport Tracs)
---
Klaudandus

Postby benebarba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:14 am

Klaudandus wrote:Ah, NDAs -- fun.

Don't know if I'll ever switch back to Ford though... would consider them again if they went for the 5yr warranty/10yr powertrain like the korean car companies

Not to mention they killed my favorite vehicle in their lineup (Sport Tracs)

I actually find some of the model directions interesting (and sometimes puzzling). What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall of some of the really high level strategy meetings... but those are *way* above my paygrade :P

Though I have to say, after having gotten the chance to take a couple hybrid models home for a night (a fun perk from being in the department I was in)... I think I know what my next car purchase is going to be. Of course that would mean the tradeoff between a shiny new (and more fuel efficient) car (and its car payment) or the one we are about to pay off :P
benebarba

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:00 am

well, the ford focus was my 3rd option when I was trying to buy a car earlier this year, behind the kia soul and the kia forte/hyundai elantra -- like i said, the 3yr warranty knocked it down, otherwise I prolly would have gone with it instead of the soul

extra success -- being told i'm awesome for killing a couple of bosses, (on two different dungeons) without a healer because the healer died cuz he was distracted (eaten by the blades of light, died to flames in the lilian voss fight) with the boss having about more than 50% of health in each case -- on my shitty alt =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:17 am

Exalted with August Celestials finishing off every daily rep so far in the expansion. Just a few more achievements to finish up and dailies can go to hell till 5.1
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

Or until you decide to get an alt =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 am

Klaudandus wrote:Or until you decide to get an alt =P

I've been doing Golden Lotus on my warrior. Everything else can rot in hell till they make grinding rep on alts not retarded in 5.1.

Just think Blizzard could have had the tabards still grant rep, kept them at exalted to get around the "we want you experiencing the content" crap and made them Bind to BNet account but they'd rather come up with some "elaborate" system that will take another two months to be implemented.

Good call.

Also fuck these stupid Cloudflare errors that made me have to submit this post five times before it actually posted.
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Oh, I agree

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/10/25/the-w ... es-in-mop/

These guys talked a lot about that same issue and why blizz' "optional" dailies are not really optional.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Well yeah of course they're optional*

*If you're one of those people who doesn't care about gear or raiding or progressing your character in any meaningful way
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:26 pm

That was one of the points.

Another of their points is that they cannot be called optional because there is no alternate path to gain reputation.
---
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:51 pm

They're optional in the same way that leveling to 90 or paying for your account are optional. You're not required to do any of that - in fact, you're not required to play the game at all. That doesn't make it any less of a giant grindy PITA for anyone who gives a shit about optimizing their character for raiding, though.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby benebarba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 pm

theckhd wrote:They're optional in the same way that leveling to 90 or paying for your account are optional. You're not required to do any of that - in fact, you're not required to play the game at all. That doesn't make it any less of a giant grindy PITA for anyone who gives a shit about optimizing their character for raiding, though.

But it's far more than raiding, IMO.

It's actually playing once you hit 90 (and don't want to just annihilate low-level quests). It's having something to do with VP. You know, the carrot they dangle in front of most of the content these days.

Consider the extreme case of someone who does 'just want to see the content' - they'll do dailies once (well, except shado-pan and august celestials - they'll probably not get seen), maybe run some heroics and then what? More realistic is someone wants to get into LFR to see that, so they grind out Heroics because they don't want to do the dailies. Why? Because after you've done them once, the quests are mind-numbingly boring (if not sooner). But even they may as well toss the VP away since they can't use it for anything (ok, maybe they can trade it for conquest - but that kind of illustrates the issue as well).

This last case is the case some of my raid team is in: They want to raid, they just don't want to do innane dailies just to be able to buy gear with points they were able to obtain a number of ways that didn't include dailies.

"But normal raids are tuned for 463 gear!" you say. Yes, true. But what about the people who know they are probably going to need better than that? Or the ones who want to actually spend that VP they got slamming heroics and scenarios into the wall, but who didn't want to do the same 30 quests over and over?

So yes, I get they wanted us to see the content. Fine. Once I do all the dailies once, give me a tabard. Then let me go back to that thing they once spoke of: "having options".

/rant
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General