First level 70 5 man tanked. Fears averted (for now).

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby antishadow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 am

Thank you all for your comments, words of encouragement and criticism. My main reason for posting was an intro that hey another tankadin is up and coming and that we're able to hold our own even when the mobs out number us (mostly).

I've tanked thus far ramps, BF, UB, SP and a single Mana Tombs. Nothing beyond that (but I'll admit those were all cake walks) so yes - I'm inexperienced with tanking but not with the game. Although experience with other classes still doesn't help you learn each and every little pull, what to burn down first, what fears, etc, etc, etc. I've always just blindly targeted the skull and went to town.

I know that they're out there but I've NEVER been in an instance with a paladin tank before with my two other 70's and most of my guild mates also haven't - to all of us a paladin tank was something completely new.

In all honestly I was just shocked to get a /tell "Hey want to give tanking SH a shot?" when there were other viable options online and ecstatic that it went as well as it did and just had to say something.
antishadow

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 am

I am not as cynical and I understand everyone wants a pat on the back it was more an observation then anything else, once you start tanking and people recognize it, you will get tells to come tank.

Other then that well done.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 am

re: tank anxiety.

Tanking is high profile. If you're not used to being the focus of the group, stepping into it can be intimidating. If you've soloed or done dps up to now, being suddenly thrust into the spotlight can be intimidating.

It takes a certain amount of maturity to want to tank -- to want to be responsible for the group's success or failure. Responsibility is scary.

This is why such a overwhelming percentage of WoW plays DPS classes. Who really knows if the hunter's shot cycle is off? Who can tell if the rogue's SnD rotation isn't optimal? Who expects rogues to respec combat to DPS in instances, instead of running with their lolsub pvp builds?

Unless you're really experienced and have run with really, really good players, it's not always obvious that your dps is lousy at their classes.

Whereas anyone can tell if the tank is holding aggro or not. Sometimes it's not the tank's fault -- e.g., mages who throw out 4k fireballs in the first two seconds of the pull. But when that happens, everyone still blames the tank.

(Unless the tank dies, in which case you blame the healer. Healer is the second most stressful position.)

So on the one hand: yes, tank anxiety is understandable.

On the other hand: if you're that timid, you might not belong out in front of everyone. Doesn't mean you can't learn to like it. But if you're not having fun, why are you playing this game?

And well done Antishadow. I highly recommend learning every pull in every instance, and know how to mark kill orders. Having the tank lead the run will help make it smoother; doing it exceedingly well will reflect well on you.

Tankadins absolutely trivialize 5 man content and everything in Kara up to Netherspite. It's great fun helping people completely destory things they struggled with with regular tanks in the past.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Tybalt » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 am

Quit kvetching and just do it. Its not about whether or not your paladin can tank (it can), its whether or not the player behind the keyboard can handle it. The only way to know it to just go DO IT!

All the substance of this board is being buried under posts like "Can I tank KARA?!?!" and "Gear check plz!" to the point that its almost painful to come here some days.

Just go do it, and once you have, we have a great thread called Weekend Successes where you can post your success and get all the attention you could ever want.

With that off my chest, good luck!

-Ty
Tybalt

Postby zor » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:19 am

Sabindeus wrote:I guess I'm just a cynic then.

No, that would be me (see Tankadin name) :lol:
zor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:48 am

Wow, I didn’t mean to start anything honestly my intention was to just point out something that I found interesting. I understand the anxiety as one poster put it, and that brings up some interesting thoughts on the subject.

But at the same time for those that are just making the jump yes it can be intimidating, although for those of us that have been doing this all along it may seem odd to look at it that way. I don’t think I was ever scared to run an instance, I may have been reluctant to go back because I felt that either after I had completed it I was lacking somewhere or I felt that maybe the instance just was not that fun, but any chance I had to tank something I took it.

I guess that is my point, many of the fears go away quickly, you should jump at every chance to tank if you are protection because we are so damn good at it, especially in five mans where we just as many have said trivialize content.

On the flip side I see where some look at these kinds of posts and just question why this is important, but I guess we all have different milestones. My only point is sure will you be nervous? If you are doing something completely new, then yes, but chances are if you understand the basic fundamentals of paladin tanking; i.e. holy damage equals threat, don’t let your healer die, and paying attention, success will come.

Cynicism or not, I think there is a place to cheer each other on, but also recognize that at the end of the day this isn’t something special anymore, we can tank. We know we can tank, and now that this is a given for us, let’s see how we can do what we do better, what we need to be fully viable, and basically get out there and make the community at large go, “we need a tank, look there is a paladin lets ask him if he can tank for us?”

But overall I am not trying to diminish anyone’s efforts, but at some point this just needs to become expected.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:01 am

I think both Tybalt and Vanifae have said what I think about these threads. Vanifae makes an especially good point. Eventually, this has to become standard. At some point we have to stop congratulating each other for doing our jobs. It needs to become par for the course, much like Warriors do not congratulate each other for tanking raids.

And in my opinion, that should have happened months ago when the first people in BC release hit 70.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:25 am

Sabindeus wrote:I think both Tybalt and Vanifae have said what I think about these threads. Vanifae makes an especially good point. Eventually, this has to become standard. At some point we have to stop congratulating each other for doing our jobs. It needs to become par for the course, much like Warriors do not congratulate each other for tanking raids.

And in my opinion, that should have happened months ago when the first people in BC release hit 70.

To a degree. There's still a personal accomplishment to be recognized, though. There's a healthy amount of blood and sweat that goes into being a good, solid tank regardless of class. I don't think anyone should be congratulating someone simply for proving it's possible at this point - hell, there's only a handful of encounters that Paladins haven't tanked at this point anyway. We all know it's possible. But there's still that personal accomplishment. Is it so wrong to congratulate a comrade-in-arms for being successful?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Tybalt » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:30 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for peer approval, or to share an experience you are particularly proud of. What I do think, however, is that stuff like this either needs to be moderated ("Hey, I just tanked Van Cleef!") or given its own special place on the board so that it doesn't weigh down the rest of the content this site was established to provide.

Maybe add two new forums?

"ACCOMPLISHMENTS"

and

"ASK A TANKADIN"

-Ty
Tybalt

Postby John Ra » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:40 am

Vanifae wrote:Why are so many paladins afraid to tank, just go do it?
I'd say the best way for a level 70 tank (that respecced from a level 70 healer) to practice tanking would be to do some younger instances like Crypts and Mana Tombs. From there, work into Sethekk Halls and Durnholde. From there, Black Morass and the six 5-mans in Outlands.
John Ra

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 am

Tybalt wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for peer approval, or to share an experience you are particularly proud of. What I do think, however, is that stuff like this either needs to be moderated ("Hey, I just tanked Van Cleef!") or given its own special place on the board so that it doesn't weigh down the rest of the content this site was established to provide.

I'll agree with this. Most everyone seems to post their stuff in the Weekend Successes thread, maybe it's time for a more official method. I don't think an entire forum is necessary (I kinda like how the weekend successes thread has been working), maybe I'll whip up a sticky here in a minute. Thoughts?
Last edited by Lore on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:43 am

John Ra wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Why are so many paladins afraid to tank, just go do it?
I'd say the best way for a level 70 tank (that respecced from a level 70 healer) to practice tanking would be to do some younger instances like Crypts and Mana Tombs. From there, work into Sethekk Halls and Durnholde. From there, Black Morass and the six 5-mans in Outlands.

I support this message and if you didn't bother picking up tanking gear, you can get a few tanking upgrades... maybe.
Vanifae

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 am

Lore wrote:
Tybalt wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for peer approval, or to share an experience you are particularly proud of. What I do think, however, is that stuff like this either needs to be moderated ("Hey, I just tanked Van Cleef!") or given its own special place on the board so that it doesn't weigh down the rest of the content this site was established to provide.

I'll agree with this. Most everyone seems to post their stuff in the Weekend Successes thread, maybe it's time for a more official method. I don't think an entire forum is necessary (I kinda like how the weekend successes thread has been working), maybe I'll whip up a sticky here in a minute. Thoughts?

I don't think a whole forum for this is needed the Successes thread does this already as you stated.
Vanifae

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

Lore wrote:

This sounds good to me as long as it's actually moderated (i.e. regularly moving new topics to the existing successes thread).
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 am

Sabindeus wrote:This sounds good to me as long as it's actually moderated (i.e. regularly moving new topics to the existing successes thread).

Well, as long as there is actually a place for something, I've got no problem locking/moving extra threads that are in the wrong place. I'll set this up in a minute.
Lore
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General