Remove Advertisements

I want a single target taunt! (caps lock ftw)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

I want a single target taunt! (caps lock ftw)

Postby Jtree » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:46 pm

I hadn't ever considered our lack of a direct mob taunt a problem before. The long-ranged, multi-mob, save your buddy taunt had always seemed fine, even if it took some help to make it work right on occasion.

But today, my paradigm was blown. I was out in Tanaris, found a Scourge crystal that was empty, and spent a while soloing it. A group of three or four hordies showed up when it was at about 300 hp. No big deal, I thought, they'll grab some Shadows, I'll get one or two, we'll all be happy. It's a PvE server so we're all one big family, right?

I got two Shadows, they got two. I pull mine back a ways, and settle down to do my thing. They take theirs the other way, and do their thing. Of course, theirs die first.

Then the troll hunter comes over and opens up on one of mine, pulling it off of me leading it away until it breaks combat and rushes back to the crystal where the horde warrior is waiting to tag it.

The the troll does the same thing to the other!

Then I get to another crystal, and they take two more shadows from me. I spent 32 freaking crystals and got nothing from it!

But if I had a direct, single target taunt, I could have taken that thing back and kept the troll from kiting it too far away. So sign me up, I'm aboard this train now.

GIVE ME A SINGLE TARGET TAUNT, OR GIVE ME DEATH (as long as it's near the GY so I can respawn quickly)!!!
Jtree

Postby Lore » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:49 pm

If you're putting "caps lock ftw" in your post title, that should probably indicate how much caps lock you should be using in your post title ;)
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Constantine » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:58 pm

You let a hunter pull aggro from you? Tsk, tsk...
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:03 pm

The developers have determined that having an interrupt (even if on a one minute cooldown) and a taunt with a range of at least 20 yards are both more important than a single target taunt that doesn't bug with latency.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jtree » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Lore wrote:If you're putting "caps lock ftw" in your post title, that should probably indicate how much caps lock you should be using in your post title ;)

Well, that's embarrassing. I can't do anything right tonight.
Jtree

Postby Jtree » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 pm

radioactivejack wrote:You let a hunter pull aggro from you? Tsk, tsk...

I was in solo marathon survival mode, not high threat mode.
Jtree

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 pm

So you only want a single-target taunt to be able to pull off Horde? That seems sort of situational.

However, I understand your frustration. There have been a few times people have kited their Shadows of Doom near me and I've ended up tanking 3-4 of which only one is for my group.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Spectrum wrote:So you only want a single-target taunt to be able to pull off Horde? That seems sort of situational.

It's a similar situation when you kite a Fel Reaver to Shatt and want everyone to know you did it, but some douchebag Alliance taunts off of you. Now everyone thinks he just spent half an hour kiting it. >.<
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jtree » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Spectrum wrote:So you only want a single-target taunt to be able to pull off Horde? That seems sort of situational.

Yes.

Spectrum wrote:However, I understand your frustration. There have been a few times people have kited their Shadows of Doom near me and I've ended up tanking 3-4 of which only one is for my group.

I did this on my spriest a little while ago. I'd tagged a mob and was trying to shackle it while the ret pally I had just grouped with got over to me, but some other pally's consecration got it and held on while I went full bore, so I let him.
Jtree

Postby semp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:48 am

Jtree wrote:
radioactivejack wrote:You let a hunter pull aggro from you? Tsk, tsk...

I was in solo marathon survival mode, not high threat mode.

Hunter distraction shot is now an actual "taunt"
semp

Postby Feyray » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:36 am

Yes it is...pretty damn funny how FUCKING HUNTERS get a taunt...yet prot pallies are S.O.L. GRrrrrr
Feyray

Postby Kelaan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 am

IIRC, Distracting Shot is more like Mocking Blow. Still, it IS a bit like insult-to-injury when they can leash things on you. LAME. (though, i've noticed SoV ticks lead to re-aggro on things that got leashed when I was trying to solo.)
Kelaan

Postby Quacky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Honestly, I think the claim that a single target taunt would be a bad thing because it is a copy skill of the other classes is so myopic. A simple experiment can prove it. If a dev would be so kind as to take away the other tanks single target taunts and give them 1 multi-target taunt. At the same time, give us the single target taunt, and aoe mocking blow and remove our multi-target taunt. There will be 3 classes crying for homogeneity instead of one right now regarding this issue.
Quacky

Postby Harlequina » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 pm

If that sh!t happened to me, I'd be f*cking pissed. I got so f*cking annoyed just reading what happened to you.

If it was possible, and if I were in your situation, I would corpse camp them for about an hour. Yes really.

... SO, single target taunt huh!...
Harlequina

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:26 pm

moduspwnens wrote:The developers have determined that having an interrupt (even if on a one minute cooldown) and a taunt with a range of at least 20 yards are both more important than a single target taunt that doesn't bug with latency.

Heh, I never really looked at it like that, kind of makes the logic of not giving us one seem rather stupid.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Next

Return to General