Remove Advertisements

the achievement system SUCKS

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

the achievement system SUCKS

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 am

So, I have 3 70's now. (Mage hit it this weekend). My rogue was my first toon, and I did EVERYTHING on him. I did all the quests in

RFC, WC, SFK, BFD, RFC, RFD, Ulda, SM, Scholo, Strath, BRD, LBRS, UBRS.

I downed all the bosses at level, and since then, I have towed people through there recording hundreds of boss kills in all of those places.

Guess what? I don't have credit for any of it.

I blew through leveling on my Paladin, but I knew that I had done certain things on her. As an ENG, I made the obligatory trek to Gnomer (as a hordie) so that I could get the patterns out of there. I trounced through that place towing guildies as well, and guess what? NO CREDIT.

I thought, OK. I know that they said you might need to have gear from there to register the credit. So I checked my twink hunter who has gear from SFK AND the ring for the kill quest on Arugal. Guess what? NO CREDIT.

I hate that I have to go back to all these places so that I can get the achievements for them.

Now, I know what you are saying... Don't do it! Well, with Achievements as a viewable thing (if not now, they said they will be doing it in the future) It's become the resume of your character. I find it ridiculous that a Rogue, who has LW, who has the pattern from WC for the belt, has to go back and trash that place.
Shoju

Postby dmok » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:48 am

Frankly, I couldn't care a less about other people's achievements. The only thing I would probably ever care about, is to check if someone has done the instance on regular before they come on a heroic with me.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:52 am

I fail to see how previous expansions' experience helps building up your "skill" or at least situational awareness. I started playing this game roughly when patch 2.2 launched, and I'm a few dozen times better and more badass at what I do than many old C'thun raiders.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Karock » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 am

It's a physical limitation on their end. They had no reason until now to keep track of the fact that you had killed X boss.

And so, whining about it won't change it.

P.S. no one cares if you have the gnomer achievement but you. The same goes for everything else in the old world.
Last edited by Karock on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karock

Postby degre » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:00 am

Useless rant.

It is a new system introduced in a 4 year old game.
They have said that this new system will have some problem to integrate with the game, as the game at the time was not designed to keep track of all these info.

Point is, you care or not?
You don't, leave it.
You do, then go through those instances again.

People are not going to say "Ohm my god! Noob! He hasn't done Stratholme!", people don't even know know what strat is...
Just yesterday I had people in chat asking what all this Leroy business was about.
I've seen lots of comments about these achiements, lots are negative, about something that does NOT change your game experience, is pure flavour.

This system for sure have made happy all the kids like me and many others who like to see all the shiny thingies, I'll have to run again to all those stuff, and you know what? I'd be glad to do it. I was farming anyway strat, so change nothing. I do scholo once in a while just for the sake of it, to help someone, for fun...
I was doing old school stuff even before the achievements just for the sake of going through again once in a while, again, for fun.

Please, really, all of you, stop whining, lay back and enjoy the game.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 am

I have already heard grumblings from friends whose guilds are going to be rolling achievements into their application process. They feel that it will help them find experienced and smarter raiders.

I don't worry about that part because I'm in my guild till I quit the game. But the fact that they

1.) can't get all the freaking dungeon stuff right.
2.) are going to let people use it as the new E-peen of WoW
3.) introduced it because warhammer had it

make me want to scream.
Shoju

Postby Cadarn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:04 am

I hope someone, somewhere gets turned down from a raid because they don't have the WC achievement completed. Seriously, though, nobody is going to give a damn about your achievements but you. I do wish they were retroactive, but it's not something to get all bent out of shape about.
Cadarn

Postby Origon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:06 am

Personally i'm not bothering with most of the pre-BC and the BC ones, just the ones that i'm interested in like exploring the entire world for the title and such. Not really interested in going back to clear Deadmines / stocks / SM when i've powered people through them. Do however plan to get as many of the wrath ones as i can
Origon

Postby Karock » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:06 am

And if someone wants to require the inclusion of a pic of your highest damage done in their app process...? are you going to go on a rant about imageshack? or the screen shot feature in WoW?

Who cares if X guild does X, there is more than one guild and they won't all do something you consider stupid, BUT SOME OF THEM WILL NO MATTER HOW THE GAME IS MADE.

As far as epeen goes, are you going to be more upset that someone says "LOLCTHUN!" on the forums rather than "LOL1500"?
Karock

Postby Ariosto » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 am

Shoju wrote:I have already heard grumblings from friends whose guilds are going to be rolling achievements into their application process. They feel that it will help them find experienced and smarter raiders.

That's asinine to say the least.
Your boots made be made for walking . . .
but mine are in case I need to kick your ass.
Ariosto

Postby Origon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am

I can just imagine the cries in trade

"Trade> Gfsresaf: Buy your BWL achievement from www.wowachievements.com, $100, $300 for AQ40"

/sigh
Origon

Postby dmok » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 am

Shoju wrote:I have already heard grumblings from friends whose guilds are going to be rolling achievements into their application process. They feel that it will help them find experienced and smarter raiders.

This sounds like a terrible way to fill your guild with raiders who are in-fact likely not experienced.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Origon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 am

Besides, since when is being able to clear old raid content a good way of determining how well someone does? being able to clear AQ40 / naxx doesn't mean you're the best of the best, could simply mean you weren't completely retarded and could follow instruction. Or weren't retarded enough to get booted out and were carried through part / all of it.

They'd also be losing out on a lot of potentially amazing players who will join when wrath hits stores. I'm sure most people remember the flow of new players we got when BC hit
Origon

Re: the achievement system SUCKS

Postby mazater » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:16 am

Shoju wrote:
I hate that I have to...

I stopped reading there and died a bit inside.

Nobody's forcing you to do anything, dear, just leave it be and take a chillpill.
mazater

Postby Aldonza » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:20 am

The only way you could really tally good players by old world achievements is if they actually recorded the dates of when people truly killed "X" boss - and you could link it back to pre-nerf versions and/or pre-release of major expansion.

I've been on a pre-Naxx release C'thun kill, which was done shortly after they fixed the encounter so that anyone could actually down the boss. That was the kind of a fight that you couldn't carry a person. After the Naxx release and getting just some marginal gear ups from there, almost any guild could slaughter him if they were able to get past the Emps. Hell, my guild went from pushing three weaknesses to getting him with two and time to spare. You could also spare a few spots to carry people at that point.

Once 2.0 was released to live servers, most bosses became trivial. Now with 3.0, all bosses are even more trivial. You can go through just about any old world content and destroy it with little difficulty. There is no positive way to use achievements to guage skill currently, which would be the only viable reason to consider adding them to a guild application.

---

Personally, I enjoy the achievements. It's a time sink and another form of a grind, sure, but it gives me something to do. It has encouraged many members of my guild to work with and help other members, and it offers a bunch of incentives to try and see all facets of the game. That's a win-win, in my book.

And, yes, I didn't get credit for a lot of bosses that I did kill, especially old world stuff. Only one that makes me grumble any is the AQ20 boss b/c I truly loathed that instance.
Aldonza
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General