Remove Advertisements

WTB Ghost Mount

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Grokii » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 am

Baelor wrote:Never played EQ - what does it mean to "break fear"? It seems to have a different meaning in WoW.

The other thing about PoFear and EQ at the time... if you died, your corpse would rot after 7 days and your gear was on your corpse.

So if your guild went into PoFear and failed to break it, you would all be dead with no gear. You would then have to zone in naked and try to train the NPCs away from the zone-in so you can get your corpses and gear back.

Usually you can't do this naked. Often if a guild wiped, they would ask another guild to come help them. Sometimes, that guild would then wipe because the mobs don't reset and it is harder to break fear from a failed break in.

There were stories of 3-4 of the server's top guilds wiping. All their gear is on their corpses in PoFear and they couldn't get it back. There was no one left on the server that was able to help them get their corpses back. The GMs had to decide if it was 'right' to nuke PoFear so the players didn't loose all their gear, or if they were effectively going to reset raiding progression on their server by doing nothing.

Then a few years passed and a shaman and shadownkight could duo all of PoFear minus the death-touch mobs that were avoidable.

Fun times.
Grokii

Postby lusisia » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am

Elsie wrote:*shudders from memories walking to Fafnir from Jueno in FFXI*

(if you think WoW spoils you, try Ultima Online)

No. Fucking. Shit.

Nothing like losing ALL your gear because you died and couldn't get back in time to loot it.

Let me repeat, EVERYTHING ON YOUR CORPSE disappeared if you didn't get back to your corpse in time before it despawned.

Spend 200G on X weapon? If you die and don't get back to your corpse, it's GONE.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Vesper » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:13 am

There are many things that WoW did right to fix the unfun aspects of older games, but some of those fixes effectively killed any need for server camaraderie/competition.

For many years, EQ did not have instance-specific content. Everyone was forced to fight for the same spawns (raiding, grouping, and soloing). Camping Ragefire in SolB for the cleric epic was once an insane camp that took most of the guild (especially if no one was killing Naggy, so you had to resort to your sub-52 alts). People would call in sick, stay up through the night, take shifts guarding the spawn point, etc., just to make sure that the spawn was not missed.

Camping spawns in general was horrendous, but oddly, memorable. I bet most EQ players could tell you stories about their experiences with the Ancient Cyclops, Stormfeather, Quillmane, Yael, etc.

Racing another guild for a spawn was also a rush. It caused a lot of unnecessary drama, trash talk, and angst, but it was diabolically enjoyable.

The same thing has happened to WoW over the years also, of course. Are the changes to AV for the better overall? Sure. Is it mildly disappointing that you can't go to sleep, wake up, and still join the same AV? Sometimes. :p You generally aren't stuck with anyone long enough in the same bg to force a relationship (good, bad, or otherwise). They may annoy you to death for 20 to 40 minutes, but you can totally forget about them once it's over.
Vesper

Postby VikrumthePally » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:58 am

Vesper wrote:There are many things that WoW did right to fix the unfun aspects of older games, but some of those fixes effectively killed any need for server camaraderie/competition.

For many years, EQ did not have instance-specific content. Everyone was forced to fight for the same spawns (raiding, grouping, and soloing). Camping Ragefire in SolB for the cleric epic was once an insane camp that took most of the guild (especially if no one was killing Naggy, so you had to resort to your sub-52 alts). People would call in sick, stay up through the night, take shifts guarding the spawn point, etc., just to make sure that the spawn was not missed.

Camping spawns in general was horrendous, but oddly, memorable. I bet most EQ players could tell you stories about their experiences with the Ancient Cyclops, Stormfeather, Quillmane, Yael, etc.

Racing another guild for a spawn was also a rush. It caused a lot of unnecessary drama, trash talk, and angst, but it was diabolically enjoyable.

The same thing has happened to WoW over the years also, of course. Are the changes to AV for the better overall? Sure. Is it mildly disappointing that you can't go to sleep, wake up, and still join the same AV? Sometimes. :p You generally aren't stuck with anyone long enough in the same bg to force a relationship (good, bad, or otherwise). They may annoy you to death for 20 to 40 minutes, but you can totally forget about them once it's over.

In regard to EQ stuff. This so much! +1

My first "camp" was the cyclops. Wasn't harsh at all though. Only 11 hours. But boy I remember the fear of when someone higher level than me came by. It was oh crap this entire 11 hours is about to be wasted. (no mob taggin)

But 99% of the time people were very respectful and cared about their name in EQ.

Lets see EC Tunnel (ah), the "pot" room. Corpse runs. Etc.

I know this is a wow board and most people don't care. However I could talk for hours on this subject. But I would also bet quite of few people here had their first love with EQ or UA.
VikrumthePally

Previous

Return to General