Remove Advertisements

having 2 prot pallies in the guild

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:07 am

Magnusharkov wrote:
Amirya wrote:1 prot warrior is new to 70, and is still crushable

How the hell can a prot warrior be crushable? I havent done the maths in a while but pretty much as long as you have a shield in your hand and can click shield block you are more or less uncrushable while naked.

Well, wish I could give a definite answer, but as I am a paladin and not a warrior, I reaaaaaalllllyyyy don't know.

As far as I know, she's been checked out by a couple of other prot warriors and told she needs more avoidance to reach uncrushable.

And naked gnomes is just a disturbing thought.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:08 am

My previous guild had 3 prot pally tanks.

2 of us were often in raid together.

Here's how to look at it and how to work with it.

#1 Have one prot pally act like a standard MainTank. Pick up big heavy hitters and not so much with the aoe on the smaller stuff.
(*Ex In hyjal, picking up 1-3 Abombs instead of all the ghols / crypt fiends)

#2 Don't taunt off each other unless you absolutely have to. Instead have the two tanks work together to not threat heavily on each others mob. It also helps to hold back on full aoe threat mode until the mobs are split up.

#3 SHARE DUTIES, it really helps to share roles with each other and not let one hog all the fun.
DeadMilliken

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:15 am

Amirya wrote:
Magnusharkov wrote:

How the hell can a prot warrior be crushable? I havent done the maths in a while but pretty much as long as you have a shield in your hand and can click shield block you are more or less uncrushable while naked.

Well, wish I could give a definite answer, but as I am a paladin and not a warrior, I reaaaaaalllllyyyy don't know.

As far as I know, she's been checked out by a couple of other prot warriors and told she needs more avoidance to reach uncrushable.

And naked gnomes is just a disturbing thought.

It is absolutely impossible to be crushable as a warrior as long as you are:
lv70
a shield equiped
Shield block up
490+ defense

Default avoidance from the defense absolutely makes you uncrushable.
(*Just "Try" to have less than 10% dodge, 10%parry, and 10%miss with a tanking build and 490 defense.)

The problem is the warrior hasn't learned to keep shield block refreshed in their rotation. (*Note even good warriors will take an occasional crushing due to parry haste or a fast attack boss, its one thing to take 1-2 crushings on a fight by chance and another to take 4+ on a slow hitting boss)

Edit:
I double checked the base values of a Lv70 warrior.
To be uncrushable here is the minimum.l

A grey shield equiped.
5 points in prot for 5/5 anticipation
5 points in arms for 5/5 parry.
(*you could put 5 more points in prot for shield spec and accomplish the same thing)
Shield block activated.

They can be naked for everything else...the above gives them over 103% uncrushability / uncritability as long as shield block is active.

Maths: dodge 5.85 + parry 10.8 + shield block 5.8 + miss 5.8 + 75 shielc block = 103.25% avoidance against crushing blows.
DeadMilliken

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 am

That's entirely possible, she's still new to raid tanking (and hell, just tanking for more than just herself and her husband).

Thanks for the info, I'll talk to her...soonish.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Aalryn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am

I had a warrior tank in this Kara pug I was on my shaman for yesterday, who when his health would get low he did an amazing move where he would turn around and run away. Such skill, such finesse.... That run went well >.<
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Oneironaut » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Magnusharkov wrote:

lol thats what i was thinking
Oneironaut

Postby Levantine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Aalryn wrote:I had a warrior tank in this Kara pug I was on my shaman for yesterday, who when his health would get low he did an amazing move where he would turn around and run away. Such skill, such finesse.... That run went well >.<

.....LAWL
Levantine

Postby jahve » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

In our guild we had 4 protpallies. One specced retri and one went to army so right now we have 2. Last 2 of us are T6 geared from BT/Hyjal. I see it as good that you can get the other guy to do the Raid and me having day off.

Hoops wrote:We have 3 tankadins in our guild. I remember when we took 2 to Hyjal. That wasnt a pretty sight and it made things a lot more confusing.

We have run Hyjal few times with 2 prot palas and warrior as MT. When you have 2 prot palas there that work well together the whole Raid instance becomes trivial. Only though part is Archi because of prot palas lowered utility when not tanking. However since Archi is more about coordination than healing or dps it can be managed.
jahve

Postby Elsie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:15 am

Seperating mobs isnt really a problem if you pull at the same time with a judgment instead of avenger's shield. At least, if you both have a decent sum of spell dmg. Whoever consecrates first will get the 'third' mob or you do a swing-by.

I recruited a second prot paladin for my guild and it seems to work fine. At t6+ you're pretty much just another tank.
Elsie

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 am

Elsie wrote:I recruited a second prot paladin for my guild and it seems to work fine. At t6+ you're pretty much just another tank.

What a nubtastic idea.

Oh, wait
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Ajax » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:25 am

My guild runs with 2 prot pallys all the time seams to work fine :)
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Postby Saphier » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 am

Worked fine for us as well, though I often ended up spec'ing ret or holy to fill in gaps in DPS or Heals. Our standard tanks were 2 prot pallys, 1 prot warrior, 1 arms warrior in case the prot warrior couldn't be there for stuff like RoS/Archi, 1 feral druid who often tanked, 1 feral druid who usually dps'd / backup for the first.

We were also raid leader / co-leader. So one would be on AoE tanking and the other on any harder targets (aboms, ashtongue battleguards, etc) and then would run up to mark up the next group when finished.

Not being able to taunt off eachother easily was a problem, and a large reason why we need a 2nd, single target taunt (also as a backup if the first one fails.) Thats one thing I'd push for on the beta forums if I had access =( The other thing being a change for Blessing of Sanctuary.
Saphier

Previous

Return to General