We have to recruit.... never done it

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

We have to recruit.... never done it

Postby ARogers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:58 am

Some friends and I just made a guild. Most people on my server, Runetotem, either run T6 and get help from higher guilds or run Kara and herioc for badges. There aren't a lot of T5 guilds out there. We have a core of about 10-12 people who are all geared from kara to the point of needing maybe 1-2 drops for a slight upgrade.

I really need someo help on how to attract people. We are wanting to move into ZA soon. We have an attractive raiding time for older people which ou guild is made up of. I think once we break into learning it, we can easily down the animal bosses. The last 2 would be iffy.

We are going to post a full description on our realm forum once we get loot, days, etc nailed down, which we are close to.

Can anyone give us any tips? Anything will help.
ARogers

Postby Ciandin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 am

Make sure you stress that the guild is for mature players with jobs, families, etc. That way most of the drama queens won't even bother to apply. I'd also suggest maybe talking to some of those T6 guilds and see if anyone would be interested in joining on their alts. I'm sure there would be some interest there if the times worked out.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am

Various things that will help a lot:

-- Get a website with forums. It seems silly, but a website sends a message that your guild isn't going to disappear overnight, allows current members to communicate much more effectively, and gives ptentials recruits something to look at to start to get a feel for the guild

-- Get your guild organized. A lot of things that may have been unwritten understandings should be put in writing so that there's no confusion about them. This means things like a statement of purpose for the guild (are you casual? PvP-oriented? family-oriented/GLBT/whatever special interest? are you looking to to move to 25 man raids eventually? etc), expectations of members, loot rules, recruitment process, and so forth. Having this stuff written down and posted also helps recruits see what you're about and either be even more interested or take themselves out of the running and save you the trouble of recruiting someone who's not a good fit.

-- PuG lots of heroics. For a guild at your stage, heroic PuGs are a great start for recruiting. If you see a player you like, invite them to run with you again, preferably with a different group of your guildies...at some point on the run talk about whether they're raiding already or are interesting in raiding and depending on the response to get progress from there.

-- Starting a recruitment thread on your realm forum is a good idea too, though it may be less effective than the heroic PuG approach at this point. The main advantage is that you reach a much wider audience much faster, but on the other hand the quality of interest you'll get from responses to it will probably be a little lower on the whole.

-- I wouldn't worry about recruitment posts outside of your realm forum...the vast majority of readers from the official recruitment forum or specialty sites like maintankadin are going to be from other realms, and it's unlikely the someone will pay to transfer just to join a ZA guild unless they already know someone in your guild.

I hope that helps, and good lluck with your recruiting

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby ARogers » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks a lot Dorvan. Those are good ideas. The first one is already done. We are actually known as Eagles. It's a group of mature adults game players from Diablo 2. If Any of you actually played on ESCL and visited the Blizz Forums for it, you'd probably even recognize a lot of the names. We have been around for years and years, but we have lost a lot of activity due to D2 getting old and a lack of recruiting from most member. We are trying to get our numbers up again with GOOD people. Not a bunch of emo kids.

I've heard the idea of pugging stuff to find people. As soon as I get my shammy to 70, I'm goign to do that. I don't pug a lot on my pally unfortunately as I've gotten most of the badge gear that is useful.

I've also had the idea that if we can only get 20 to show up for a gruul or something, we pug out the rest. I've been in and out of a lot of guilds because they can't deliver when it's raid time. I'm thinking that would help a lot. A bad run is better than no run at all!
ARogers

Postby Naeldon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm

Dorvan wrote:Various things that will help a lot:

-- Get a website with forums. It seems silly, but a website sends a message that your guild isn't going to disappear overnight, allows current members to communicate much more effectively, and gives ptentials recruits something to look at to start to get a feel for the guild

That's huge imo and doesn't sound silly at all. My guild at the moment doesn't have this and it's pretty restrictive. I need to have a kind word to our leader about that.
Naeldon

Return to General