Remove Advertisements

Gear Reset Makes Me Angry...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Dane » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Hankthetank wrote:
Dane wrote:
Tycho wrote:I just wish they would retune all the old-world stuff to be relevant in today's game.

/sign.

Man, I miss some of the old raids.

I don't know HOW you'd make it viable, since it's fun to see new stuff too...and I certainly don't want it to be a situation where ONE piece of tier gear drops off of the end boss in each raid, but it'd be great to find a way to re-implement MC, BWL, ZG, etc...

AQ40...now THERE'S a raid that just didn't get enough attention.

/veto. The only way to make it relevant would be through putting in valuable loot. By having valuable loot, those of us who have already run those instances in excess of 100 times (yes I have done Molten Core the equivalent of every single week in excess of two years straight) would have to go back to those same instances AGAIN and run them AGAIN even though the guts of the fights are the same. (and if the guts of the fight are not the same, why redo the zone? Just to use the same models over?)

The old raids are there. If you want to run them, run them. If you cannot find people who want to run them, then find people who are less focused on loot and more focused on content. There is no in-game mechanism blocking people from running old content, there is just no reward.

I probably didn't phrase it well, but I agree with you.

I don't think there's a way to make them desireable beyond "gee whiz" except to add relevant loot. If you do THAT, then there would be WAY too many different instances to run to get geared.

I would love to see them again, and have them be end game content, but I don't think there's a feasible method.
Dane

Postby Ignus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I ran some of the old world content, and I got the feeling of adrenaline and excitement when I fought vashj and kael'thas I'd never before felt in my life. "HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP I CAN'T BELEIVE WE"RE ACTUALLY FIGHTING VASHJ!!" and when we downed kael thas I had a giant grin stuck on my face for a full 24 hours. back when BT had an attunement still, killing kael felt like "Congratulations, you made it. Welcome to the big leagues." I still get that heart pumping excitement any time I'm on a progression boss, be it gruul, lurker, leotheras, vashj, RoS, or illidan.

so I really don't understand how you could feel killing the old world bosses felt awesome and epic while killing BC bosses felt lame. I feel the opposite.
If you invest all of your talents, all of your gear, all of your knowledge and skill into tanking, you should be the best tank.
Ignus
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I think part of it was that we spent weeks before killing Rag.

Kael took two nights. Vash took two nights. Illidan took two nights. Archi took a bit longer, but nowhere near the scale the old world stuff took.

Also, 25 people raids vs 40 people raids just feel different. TBC stuff is like glorified AQ20.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Vanilla wasn't hard, it just required absurd abuse of consumables to get down the hardest bosses.

99% of boss mechanics were ridicolously easy (that included, paladins spamming Cleanse for the whole fight). The only decent encounters were probably Ragnaros, Nefarian, Twin Emperors, C'thun, and a major part of Naxx, even if Raggy and Neffy were quite easy and free loots, but still rather fun to do. Raggy was also the first boss with the "no ranged threat" mechanic.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Grokii » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:53 am

I think there should be a non-instanced boss that is required for the first 25-man raid. Each raid member would have to be key'd to get to the room for this boss, that quest chain should take ~30-40 /played hours for each raid member to complete.

This boss will only drop a limited number of keys so the whole raid can't get key'd for the next zone on one kill. This boss would be on a 7 day respawn, and again, not instanced, so the whole server has to get in line... both allies and horde.

I think this would be 'fun'. Oh, and yeah, once you guild has killed the boss you can go back and continue to kill him to stop other guilds from progressing into the 25-man raid content.

Lets call the encounter 'Shadows of Luclin'.

Long live 'The Vision'(tm)!
Grokii

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:17 am

Twin emps.. Ugh.

RUN THE OTHER GODAMNED WAY.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:22 am

Y'know, part of me wishes all the late-adopters could run MC now. Or grind Strat/Scholo/BRS constantly for Dungeon Set gear (even if Beaststalker was poo for Hunters before the agility/AP switch in 2.0). Or hell, even take part in a quest group to BRD at the appropriate level...

...So the moaning bastards can understand how good they have it now!

Even BWL, which had an incredibly fun last boss had the utterly painful, guild-breaking cockblock that was Vael. I think we spent a month and a half trying to learn that bastard!
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Norrath » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 am

Ulushnar wrote:Y'know, part of me wishes all the late-adopters could run MC now. Or grind Strat/Scholo/BRS constantly for Dungeon Set gear (even if Beaststalker was poo for Hunters before the agility/AP switch in 2.0). Or hell, even take part in a quest group to BRD at the appropriate level...

Even BWL, which had an incredibly fun last boss had the utterly painful, guild-breaking cockblock that was Vael. I think we spent a month and a half trying to learn that bastard!

I think I love you.

(In a totally manly and platonic way)
Norrath

Postby Mortehl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:38 am

Emovale!

Seriously though, linking the content at this level is stupid. Wishywashy hopes and dreams aside. Forcing someone through 2 years of content before they can play with new-found friends is a very special kind of dumb.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:48 am

Mortehl wrote:Emovale!

Seriously though, linking the content at this level is stupid. Wishywashy hopes and dreams aside. Forcing someone through 2 years of content before they can play with new-found friends is a very special kind of dumb.

Yep. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 am

Oh, I just remembered another "beautiful" moment from pre-TBC:

Dealing with aggro from crappy rogues and warriors whenever I /rolled on Dal'Rend's Arms as a Hunter. I never did get them though. :-/

God, I do not miss those days one iota.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 am

Ulushnar wrote:Oh, I just remembered another "beautiful" moment from pre-TBC:

Dealing with aggro from crappy rogues and warriors whenever I /rolled on Dal'Rend's Arms as a Hunter. I never did get them though. :-/

You should have been there when I rolled on a Draconian Deflector. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=12602
honorshammer

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:41 am

Honorshammer wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:Oh, I just remembered another "beautiful" moment from pre-TBC:

You should have been there when I rolled on a Draconian Deflector. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=12602

I daren't mention that. One of my mates was our MT pre-TBC and he never got that sheild. Pug DPS warriors kept out-rolling him.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:44 am

Ulushnar wrote:...So the moaning bastards {should} understand how good they have it now!

Hell, Vaelastrasz was a walk in the park, compared to the coordination clusterfuck that was Razorgore. I hate to admit, as a hunter I had a really hard time holding more than a few dragonkin ... but at the same time, solidly holding the few I had was worthless when mages weren't getting killed, etc. We'd wipe several times on that some weeks even when we were "farming" everything else.

I wonder if a paladin tank can now just tankify all the orc adds instead of kiting them, LOL...

I liked Vaelastrasz, honestly. I didn't like that hunter DPS didn't scale well with infinite mana, at the time, compared to rogues/warriors/mages... but man, doing that before threat meters was some fun times. Omen and its precursors Changed The Game fundamentally. Overall, for good, I believe, though.

As for running old content ... no kidding. I was glad, when leveling alts, to be able to skip stuff ("Well, i'll level out of SFK gear in 5 more levels..."), and even more so to the l60 dungeons. I ran Stratholme and UBRS enough on my hunter, I'm glad not togo back there. ;)

... though, I imagine that taking a small group through UBRS would be pretty damned funny, these days. (: Shit, I'll have to go try that (and learn to farm stratholme on my paladin).

edit:
It's interesting, though, running older content (e.g., SM, Uldaman, etc) with people of Appropriate Level. You get a weird mix of people who are absolute noobs to the game, and people who are alts-of-raiders who pull off crazy feats of awesomeness. (I recall having a druid healer that was 3 levels below the recommended minimum who not only kept me healed through Uldaman on my warrior, but had time to DPS too! They didn't appear twinked, either.) Familiarity with the zones is such a HUGE asset -- you already know which things to skip, how to do things like LOS pull casters, etc. It's really not fair to something like BFD. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Veneretio » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:48 am

Ulushnar wrote:Y'know, part of me wishes all the late-adopters could run MC now. Or grind Strat/Scholo/BRS constantly for Dungeon Set gear (even if Beaststalker was poo for Hunters before the agility/AP switch in 2.0). Or hell, even take part in a quest group to BRD at the appropriate level...

I think Kael and Vashj are pretty tough. (that being everyone just skips them now)
www.tankingtips.com - for warriors (yup, I have no idea why I'm here either)
Veneretio

PreviousNext

Return to General