Remove Advertisements

Gear Reset Makes Me Angry...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Gear Reset Makes Me Angry...

Postby Dragonzbane » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:23 am

Ulushnar wrote:
Frickit wrote: Now its just lame. If it wasnt lame I wouldnt be playing but I still say give it back to them.

Why would they? For every "Lore-freak" they lost they gained 100 other players.

But they would have gained those other players regardless.
Why not gain those 100 and keep the 1 at the same time?
Dragonzbane

Postby Frickit » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:24 am

lol true that. but there is something to say about a hobby that isnt accesible by everyone and their grandma literally. faster and fairer it surely is.
Frickit

Postby Stings » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:26 am

fuzzygeek wrote:As derisive as we are about old world content, I don't think anyone was as excited to kill Illidan as we were the first time Ony or Rag or Nef went down.

This. Raiding in tbc hasnt brought anything near the adrenaline kicks vanilla raids did. When you've been preparing for so much longer the joy is just fantastic.
Raiding now is pretty much all about just showing up on time and log off when its over. Of course you have to play well but the investment you've done in the raid is almost not existing.
I remember farming for 20 hours to be fully buffed for our first neffie kill :) And spending 6 hours each day to prepare for the raid the same evening during aq/naxx. Mana pots and demonic runes sure wasnt easy to get as a holy priest with 0 spelldmg.
Last edited by Stings on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stings

Postby Frickit » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 am

Stings wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:As derisive as we are about old world content, I don't think anyone was as excited to kill Illidan as we were the first time Ony or Rag or Nef went down.

This. Raiding in tbc hasnt brought anything near the adrenaline kicks vanilla raids did. When you've been preparing for so much longer the joy is just fantastic.
Raiding now is pretty much all about just showing up on time and log off when its over. Of course you have to play well but the investment you've done in the raid is almost not existing.

you're all chasing the dragon lol. meanwhile im simply playing a video game. *bought wow just after TBC*
Frickit

Postby Hankthetank » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 am

Dane wrote:
Tycho wrote:I just wish they would retune all the old-world stuff to be relevant in today's game.

/sign.

Man, I miss some of the old raids.

I don't know HOW you'd make it viable, since it's fun to see new stuff too...and I certainly don't want it to be a situation where ONE piece of tier gear drops off of the end boss in each raid, but it'd be great to find a way to re-implement MC, BWL, ZG, etc...

AQ40...now THERE'S a raid that just didn't get enough attention.

/veto. The only way to make it relevant would be through putting in valuable loot. By having valuable loot, those of us who have already run those instances in excess of 100 times (yes I have done Molten Core the equivalent of every single week in excess of two years straight) would have to go back to those same instances AGAIN and run them AGAIN even though the guts of the fights are the same. (and if the guts of the fight are not the same, why redo the zone? Just to use the same models over?)

The old raids are there. If you want to run them, run them. If you cannot find people who want to run them, then find people who are less focused on loot and more focused on content. There is no in-game mechanism blocking people from running old content, there is just no reward.
Hankthetank

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:58 am

I ran MC non-stop for eight months waiting for my last part of Gianstalker to drop. We were killing Nefarian before that happened. I never got my Tier 2 pants either despite the fact we farmed Ragnaros for over six months.

The changes to the loot system since those days is amazing.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Dawnseeker » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 am

Did a MC fun-run not long ago with the guild (we were bored) and it was great, only got up to 5th boss pre-BC and it was nice to finally see Raggy himself. With the old content being so comparatively easy nowadays, and especially so in Wrath, I definately wouldn't object if they added a weekly (or monthly) quest to kill a certain boss of a random one of the classic raids, like they've done with the heroic quests. I don't know what the reward would be, some money of course, and maybe a badge of whatever the new token system is at 80, but something that provides a nice incentive for raid groups (or even small raid pugs) to occasionally run the old stuff rather than letting it go completely to waste.
Dawnseeker

Postby Macha » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 am

As derisive as we are about old world content, I don't think anyone was as excited to kill Illidan as we were the first time Ony or Rag or Nef went down.

Downing Vashj was far more of an adrenaline kick than Ragnaros ever was.
5 Minute buffs. Need I say more?

Don't let the rose tinted glasses fool you. Ragnaros was a bore, and needed hardly any investment other than fire res, which was far less investment than the consumable farming in early TBC.
Macha

Postby Splug » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:54 am

The only logical thing they could use to entice people to go there but not force them to do so would be equivalent items to currently-available gems like Dragonspine Trophy, Skull of Gul'dan, or Shadowmoon Insignia. Perhaps stick Nefarian with a 100% chance to drop one of four powerhouse trinkets if you kill him with a debuff forcing you to clear the instance as a lv 60. Thus there would be no need to go back - you could do Gruul instead, and if you already have a DST then you can skip it entirely - but there would be a logical reason to do so for those interested.

Maybe the BT trinkets are too "advanced" to include specifically, but they're sufficient for an example: there are always one or two drops that stand out as being miles ahead of the rest of the loot in a dungeon, and they're usually trinkets. Running the whole thing for a 1 in 8 chance to see one trinket is annoying. I'd rather have a sure shot that someone's going home happy, even if it means sacrificing almost all the rest of the loot.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Zeels » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Splug wrote:Maybe the BT trinkets are too "advanced" to include specifically, but they're sufficient for an example: there are always one or two drops that stand out as being miles ahead of the rest of the loot in a dungeon, and they're usually trinkets. Running the whole thing for a 1 in 8 chance to see one trinket is annoying. I'd rather have a sure shot that someone's going home happy, even if it means sacrificing almost all the rest of the loot.

-Splug

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19379

How long did that trinket last? Forever :D
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Ulushnar wrote:I ran MC non-stop for eight months waiting for my last part of Gianstalker to drop. We were killing Nefarian before that happened. I never got my Tier 2 pants either despite the fact we farmed Ragnaros for over six months.

The changes to the loot system since those days is amazing.

Scorned is still soloing Garr looking for his binding.

We killed Ragnaros in 5/05.

Also I don't understand the need for a 3-token system. 38% of our drops have been Vanq, which makes up 28% of our raid attendance. Most of our Vanq classes have multiple sets of T6, while we still have Conq looking for their 4 piece.

Random Loot is Random, yes, and not getting drops keeps people doing the same damn content over and over and over again, which is good for business.

I just wish there was a transmutation from one token type to another that required, hell, Sunmotes or Illidan's head or something.

As far as doing old world content -- just add badges. Heck, BWL is worth doing with a group of 10 for the gold alone. Aq40? Not as such. Bosses drop like 5 silver. Because bugs don't have pockets, you see.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Norrath » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 pm

You didn't even need fire res to kill Ragnaros. As soon as your MT was geared and the raid could clear the required DPS, he went down.

Yes, defeating the end boss in a raid instance is a kick. But when you've done it couple dozen times, it can start losing its appeal.
Norrath

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:02 pm

Norrath wrote:You didn't even need fire res to kill Ragnaros. As soon as your MT was geared and the raid could clear the required DPS, he went down.

Yes, defeating the end boss in a raid instance is a kick. But when you've done it couple dozen times, it can start losing its appeal.

I agree, defeating him's fun, farming him's dull.

I'm kinda glad my group imploded after our first half-dozen neffy kills. It never got old that way. fucking hunter classcall!
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 pm

I unno. UBRS is pretty hax. More people should run it in my opinion.

No hidden motives here. Nope, none at all.
Levantine

Re: Gear Reset Makes Me Angry...

Postby Dane » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Ulushnar wrote:
Frickit wrote:itll never happen theres waaaaay too many people putting money into it now. but thats only because of how awesome it was for the people who were serious. I say give the hardcore raiders a 60 cap and old world content again. But seriously from what I hear about the old days this game sucks now.

From someone who played the old game, it totally rocks now.

Check out the "Blizzard Hates Paladins" videos for insight into how much we were screwed back then. I didn't notice too much back then since I was playing my Hunter and dealing with the unweildly 10-sec aimed-multi rotations.

Everything Blizz has done to the game since then has made it leaner, faster, fairer and more accessible. Don't let the "it was good when..." crowd go piss on your chips.

This.

I raided 40-mans. I miss them in some ways, but in others, I love the 10/25 man raids.
Dane

PreviousNext

Return to General