Dual boting - Wich healer would be best?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Wich healer to go with Pally for dualboting?

Shammy
40%
Druid
30%
Priest
20%
Paladin
10%

Total votes : 10

Dual boting - Wich healer would be best?

Postby Haganomir » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:56 am

Currently I am usualy multiboxing Pally/Mage. For most of my moneymaking desires thats exelent, it speeds the whole thing up and I have some tools against pesky casters or can Frostnova backup and heal if things get close (wich they usualy dont).

The problem is that I want to try instances above BF/SP but it doesnt work with mage togehter as I would need to generate threat and cant use SoW/SoL as I would like to use. So I decided I need to twink a healer.

Now I dont know wich class is best for that. I want more than just healing, best would be some aoe-damage to help with killing trash. I did a short write up of what I think and my conclusion. If someone spots something I missed out or has suggestions, ideas - they would be more then welcome:

Druids have the worst (aoe)damage capacities and I would have to go restokin for being capable of damaging. Tree-form and insta HoT-spam would on the other hand be quite easy to dual box. More buffs and thorns are great too.

Priest could come with Holy Nova and Silence. Would be an odd specc but it could work. Dots in addition to that for bossfights would be nice too. Pbaoe-Fear if things go bad is gud, awsome buffs are also awsome(stamina/anti fear)

Paly seems to be the weakest choice. Just one instant, no HoT's, this makes using /follow quite hard. Expensive, weak but steady AoE-damage, better than Treeform Druid at least. I could go Sancity-Aura with him and make a little shockadin to boost the prot-pally damage too.

Shamy seems to me as the best option. Chain lightning, pbaoe fire totem, anti fear totems, spelldamage totems. The only thing lacking again are HoT's but I think he makes up for that with earthshield.

Eidt: Made a poll :>
Last edited by Haganomir on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haganomir

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 am

I vote Druid.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby $hOTty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:17 am

same
$hOTty

Postby Arcand » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:19 am

I see your point about shaman and if I could have a human brain driving that shaman they'd be a great partner. But for a macro-driven healbot, I vote tree.
Arcand

Postby Haganomir » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:40 pm

The amount of keys needed is propably going to be the same for both Shaman and Druid if you use macros wisley. The only difference is that while druids are more a less a fire and forget healing class you have to cast more often AND make sure that the spells you wanted are on the target.

Stacking hot's, even with a cast-sequence macro, needs imho more attention payed to what you actualy do with the shaman then just casting one healingspell all the time, switching to a bigger version if health gets low.

Totems could be spammed by a castsequence macro.
2 Versions, 1 with antifear, the other basic one without.

Basicaly it comes down to:
+ two sources of Aoe Damage
+ Totem-utility
+ Interrupt (earthshock)
+ Purge
+ increases Paladins own damage through totems

- no insta heals/hots -> no healing while following and moving
- no curse remove
- no cc in Wotlk

Guess I am going to try shaman and see how I do on lower levels, then decide again
Haganomir

Postby Stav » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:41 pm

For several months now I've 2-boxed a Paladin and priest for all of the 5-man non-heroic content with 3 friends filling in the DPS roles.

Recently I leveled up a druid to 70 for one of our arena teams and during the leveling process would use her as a healer with my paladin to clear out the 5-man instance quests.

For non heroic content (we're still gearing up for heroics) either works fine, depending on what your set up is going to be you may have trouble keeping a full HoT rotation going on your tank. Though for non-heroics that's not really an issue anyways.

The biggest thing I miss 2-boxing a druid heal is the lack of group healing, It was always so nice and easy to tab over to the priest and pop a group heal or two to patch everyone (and pet's) up. The druid does ok, rotating HoT's around, but it can get a bit frantic in some instances where mobs have agro dropping / reducing abilities and they happen to b-line for a squishie at a bad time.

DPS from either one has always been a backseat goal for me, since I'm with 3 DPS classes, so my experience has been limited to tossing the occasional DoT or DD when the pull is low risk.

Hope it helps sort out of the pro's and con's between a druid and priest.

-Stav
Stav

Postby Arcand » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Haganomir wrote:...druids are more a less a fire and forget healing class you have to cast more often AND make sure that the spells you wanted are on the target.

But if you're playing the target - you should be able to monitor your HoT stacks pretty easily, no?
Arcand

Postby Stav » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 pm

Arcand wrote:But if you're playing the target - you should be able to monitor your HoT stacks pretty easily, no?

It depends on a couple of things.

First if there's anyone else in the group who is in need of healing trying to maintain a full HoT rotation without sacrificing a rolling Lifebloom stack can be tricky, either you end up restacking to early or the bloom finishes and you get to reapply the 3 blooms. If mana's not an issue than it's not horrible to apply early but if you're 2-boxing the old school way of either 2 pc's or alt-tabbing then the delay of switching adds another second or two to the timing which can make stacking early a huge mana drain over the course of a fight, particularly if you have to also pop and occasional HoT on another player.

The other bit is what kind of setup is being used, 2 keyboards or alt-tabbing / KVM-switched more or less adds that extra second or three to any action. However if a key multicasting device / application is used it's much easier to maintain that full HoT rotation by a cast sequence macro.

-Stav
Stav

Return to General