Remove Advertisements

New tank seeking info

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

New tank seeking info

Postby FTYG » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:40 pm

Hello everyone

As this is my 1st post, I'm glade to be with you. ( no more to avoid kids who going to say : post it at welcome forum ) :)

I leveled up as retri pally and it was fun. At lv70, I switch to tanking not cuz I like it, cuz I want more invite to gear up. I end up liking to be tank. but am still seeking alot of info/experience. I read often and got confused from reading guides all over the net. (>.<)

I have a few question and seeking answer

1) Must I balance between block/parry/dodge ... etc?
I mean here, if I got like 60%block, 40%dodge and only 2%parry. Does that matter? or I MUST balance them? hope you got my point.

2) Since am new tank ( start tanking @ lv70 ), I'm doing only normal instances and I do avoid heroic till I learn more how to do my job right. I meet alot of ppl that mess up my tanking ( especially mages & rogues ) who want to DPS as much as they can without caring about Hate ( or what you can it aggro/threat ). Wondering if it is my fault cuz I can't hold agro or it is their fault to attack very soon before I get enough agro!!

3) When I was leveling as retri, I joined a few instances and I was unluck cuz most of the members I joined with are SUPER KIDS. I didn't do any more instance after that ( just getting my rl friend who got 2 char lvl70 to farm instance for me ) so I lack experience on pulling. I start doing it as a tank, Wondering here if there is some rule I should follow while pulling? Marking?

4) The block on the shield added to the total block and does that value helps on Uncrushability? I'm using merciless one right now.

Thank you and pardon my weak english :)
FTYG

Postby Jeslena » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 am

1. Most people just lump parry and dodge together as avoidance along with miss % from defense. The balance is usually going to be between avoidance, armor and health. As for block, the general rule of thumb is enough block rating to get you to uncrushable with holy shield up if you are tanking raid bosses (uncrushable is miss %, block, parry and dodge adding up to 102.4%). If you are only donig 5 man instances you don't need to worry about uncrushable.

2. Their fault. Only exception that I can think of is lose add attacking a healer. Then it might be your fault for not picking it up or the mages fault for not resheeping.

3. Unless you outgear the instance, don't pull more then one group and try not to let the patrol get the jump on you while you are fighting one of the stationary groups. As for marking, if the group is bad at assisting marking helps and generally skull is the mark for the first target to be killed. You will have to define the other marks (second to be killed, CC, third etc). Also if you are going to pull back or LoS range mobs it is generally a good idea to let the group know first.

4. Block rating increases your chance to block. Block value increases the amount of damage you can block for. So no, block value does not get you uncrushable, but it will reduce the amount of damage you will take. You only mentioned doing normal instances so uncrushable isn't that important until you get into raids.
Jeslena

Postby FTYG » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:39 am

You rocks, Jeslena.

Thnx alot :)

My defense right now @ 470 and am wearing full Merciless. Many peeps /t me : OMG, you noob full merciless for tanking >.<

I was like d'oh ;_; /cry

Isn't better than my retri gear?

All in all, I got 470 defense so far, hp:10.5k, uncrushable w/o holy shield 50%

and am still working on it. I got chest with defense +/-25 ish. I can't remember its exact name, but I didn't used it cuz: 1) am going to lose like 250+ HP. 2) I'll lose +55 resilience 3) I'll lose 600 armor. 4) I'll lose 25+/- spell damage. But I'll get like +/-25 defense and some block value. If my memory help, I got it from Bota.
Any suggestion here? plz

thank you again
FTYG

Postby Barathorn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 am

You will struggle to tank any instance other than MGT in PvP gear FTYG. I would suggest you read the stickies concerning pre raid gearing and tanking as a start.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

Balance is always better as a tank than favouring one thing.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:05 am

I would like to comment a bit on your 2nd question: what is your spell damage? Which seal do you use?

It is because I once read a post in the official forum that a new tank complained about people pulling aggro. It turned out that he only had ~70 spell dmg. I commented him that he should blacklist any DPS who couldn't pull aggro from him instead, because they were probably doing very low damage output!

Similarly, if your are using Seal of Command or Seal of Blood when tanking, your threat would be much lower.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Re: New tank seeking info

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:17 am

FTYG wrote:1) Must I balance between block/parry/dodge ... etc?
I mean here, if I got like 60%block, 40%dodge and only 2%parry. Does that matter? or I MUST balance them? hope you got my point.

Not exactly. Parry and Dodge, % by %, do the same in terms of avoidance, and can(and are) accounted together when calculating avoidance(miss is included too). As long as you are uncrushable and mix well your health with your avoidance, it doesn't matter if you have 5% dodge and 32% parry, or 32% dodge and 5% parry(though it's probably the latter because dodge rating is cheaper than parry rating for the same benefit)
FTYG wrote:2) Since am new tank ( start tanking @ lv70 ), I'm doing only normal instances and I do avoid heroic till I learn more how to do my job right. I meet alot of ppl that mess up my tanking ( especially mages & rogues ) who want to DPS as much as they can without caring about Hate ( or what you can it aggro/threat ). Wondering if it is my fault cuz I can't hold agro or it is their fault to attack very soon before I get enough agro!!

1: Blessing of salvation. Best thing since sliced bread.
2: Spell damage. You really want a spell damage weapon enchanted with +40 spell damage.
3: Any dpser worth it's salt can and will pull aggro off you if they intend in doing so. Pay attention to these asses.
4: How do you generate threat? =) Read the stickies about it!
FTYG wrote:3) When I was leveling as retri, I joined a few instances and I was unluck cuz most of the members I joined with are SUPER KIDS. I didn't do any more instance after that ( just getting my rl friend who got 2 char lvl70 to farm instance for me ) so I lack experience on pulling. I start doing it as a tank, Wondering here if there is some rule I should follow while pulling? Marking?

Mark whatever mobs are important to be marked(die first, must be sheeped,sapped,whatever), pulling is a tank job, so everything goes for you first. Once you get Avenger's Shield it gets easy. Just whack it on the first mob that has to die. There are many ways of pulling to make mobs go your way. Line of Sight is a common detail we use in our favor.
FTYG wrote:4) The block on the shield added to the total block and does that value helps on Uncrushability? I'm using merciless one right now.

The block value in the shield(called block value.. lol) is a damage reduction that happens when you block an attack. Uncrushability comes from a different stat: Block Rating. Once your block% + holy shield's block% + your avoidance go past 102,4%, you're uncrushable.
FTYG wrote:
Thank you and pardon my weak english :)
You're forgiven.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby FTYG » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am

Thank you everyone for replying. It really help me learning and having fun while playing.

Wakeman wrote:I would like to comment a bit on your 2nd question: what is your spell damage? Which seal do you use?

It is because I once read a post in the official forum that a new tank complained about people pulling aggro. It turned out that he only had ~70 spell dmg. I commented him that he should blacklist any DPS who couldn't pull aggro from him instead, because they were probably doing very low damage output!

Similarly, if your are using Seal of Command or Seal of Blood when tanking, your threat would be much lower.

I got Merciless set to start with. Since all my pre-70 gear was retri set. So spell dmg really high :) and I got to merciless weapon which gives 225+ . My total spell dmg so far 300+ without Weapon Ench.

I may need to read more tho about how to generate hate.

Really thats help alot ^^
FTYG

Return to General