Remove Advertisements

Being late to the game

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Being late to the game

Postby Chard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:07 am

is rough.

I swapped from Ally to Horde recently to a server with a few friends where we knew nobody coming in.

Everybody wants 30-45 minute heroic runs and I've been invited as OT to Kara twice to only get kicked as soon as they get someone else.

You gotta get badges to get gear yet anymore you gotta have gear to get the badges.

Ok, QQ done. :)
Chard

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:13 am

Experiencing this on my warrior recently. It kinda sucks, but I can usually get a group together for the daily heroic, and there is almost enough BoE and cheap badge gear to get in full blues/ partial epics before getting into Karazhan.

I feel the pain, though. It does suck.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Arcand » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:24 am

How's your gear right now?

If you can stand to bang off hundreds of dailies...gold and rep aren't as good as badges for gearing up a tank but they'll get you started.

Some non-drop, non-badge gear which will make you good enough to do heroics or the front half of Karazhan:

Felsteel Helm (or Stalwart Defender isn't too bad) - both crafted
Strength of the Untamed - Cenarion rep
Vindicator's Hauberk ??? - Aldor rep
Bracers of the Green Fortress - crafted
Felsteel Gloves - crafted
Belt of the Guardian - crafted
Timewarden's Leggings - Keepers of Time rep
Boots of the Protector - crafted

Continuum Blade - Keepers of Time rep
Crest of the Sha'Tar - Sha'Tar rep OR
The Shattered Sun Shield That Looks Like a Winged Helm - SSO rep

This gear won't make you uber, but it will make you good enough to tank heroics. You can't do much about the divas who won't run anything without hugely-overgeared chaperones, but you don't want to run with them anyway. People with their heads properly bolted on will know you're good enough, and if you're capable, mark targets and have elementary social skills you'll start appearing on peoples' friend lists.

Also, watch for opportunities to form the group yourself. If you see a mage and warlock in LFG, that's the nucleus of a solid heroic Mech group, for instance. Talk about how you're not uber-geared but with their wonderful CC it should go fine (butter them up a bit) and start looking for a healer.
Arcand

Postby Aalryn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:27 am

don't worry.. it sucked being early to the game too. I'd say a majority of us 'old timers' got our first set of tank gear by being a healer. I know I did.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am

it sucked even more when you actually had to beg people to take you to tank something.

I remind i always said "don't worry, if i die i'll just take my prot warrior (full kara geared, was like being full t6 1 year ago)".
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Chard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:34 am

I didn't intend for this to be a gear thread, mostly a QQ thread ;) but gear is getting there.

I've got both SSO shields, S1 mace, Tankatronics, Timewardens, Fel Steel Gloves, Cloak of Eternity (I need to get Devilshark). I need to work on CE rep for neck, currently using Natasha's. Working on Aldor rep as well. I've got the Boots of the Protector recipe in my bank, need another day or two of farming motes to get my BS to 375 for that.

After I get the boots, only my belt is really crappy, and I'm on the step where I can get the belt reward you get with the Arc key, so just need to run that or get the mats for the crafted belt.

It's really about speed. So far I've tanked heroic SP and Sekketh for a druid for his epic flight form, though we couldn't kill the last boss. So it's doable, just people want it done in 30 minutes and I'm not to where I can do that just yet.
Chard

Postby guillex » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:37 am

Chard wrote:I didn't intend for this to be a gear thread, mostly a QQ thread ;) but gear is getting there.

Caught!

QQ thread = http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... highlight=

You do know I'm kidding ... right?

RIGHT?!
Last edited by guillex on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Chard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:38 am

Aalryn wrote:don't worry.. it sucked being early to the game too. I'd say a majority of us 'old timers' got our first set of tank gear by being a healer. I know I did.

I know on my old server (I was DPS) I rarely ran with Pally tanks. The server was so "Tanks must be Warriors" that they just weren't even given a real chance.

Of course, I was guilty of that for a while, having played since launch, it took me a bit to realize that they actually itemized for Pally tanks in TBC.
Chard

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:40 am

Don't forget that [item=30741]Kazzak's Gloves[/item] and [item=30731]Doomwalker's Helm[/item] (compare to [item=32473]Tankatronic Goggles[/item]) are BoE now. Definitely a good option if you've got the cash/guild.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 am

There's definitely a bias towards high-end gear now.

Part of the problem is there are so many people running around in full epics now that sometimes even a PUG will expect you to be likewise geared for Heroics or Kara. You CAN do it in lesser gear, but they are used to better gear (perhaps to make up for lack of skill) and if they wait a little longer they can find someone. Had a warrior sitting on 21k health during Magtheridon the other night. It doesn't exactly make the encounter challenging anymore, but people prefer loot over a challenge.

Another issue is that high-end epics are so easy to get now. Once you do manage to do a few Kara runs you can easily pick up T6-level gear, and if you're wise about your choices you can get huge upgrades out of PvP gear. This just contributes to the above.

What really bugs me is that you can't get by as a tank without great gear. A few bad DPS can make up for it with a little skill and a few choice upgrades (S2 weapons are huge for most DPS classes), but as a tank there's a point where our gear just isn't good enough for some encounters and that slows down the whole group.

Tanks have it rough. That's one reason I'm enjoying playing a healer these days. :)
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am

that'll teach you to have not been playing the same character since release, imo.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lypianus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Sabindeus wrote:that'll teach you to have not been playing the same character since release, imo.

Yeah, my pally has definitely come to grips with this theory, but luckily, I'm too freaking stubborn to give up.

The other thing that is fortunate for me is that character I did level from release (rogue) is great for farming cash, so pre-Kara/heroic gearing can be a whole lot less painful when the time comes.
Lypianus

Postby Dustin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:05 am

HAHA True story related to gear and skill level. My nephew who is 12 has been playing since January. He FINALLY dinged 70 2 weeks ago, and as a reward I took him into Kara, Gruls, Maggy, ZA with some of my friends. 2 weeks later he has 3/5 T4 pieces and everything else is kara epics with the exception of his PVP trinket and his level 60 dodge trinket o.O. He has been the bottom DPS in every Kara, Gruls, Mag, and ZA we have run and his DPS is usually like 350 sustained through an entire whole run after getting almost full epics lol.

Poor kid, he tries but he is so damn slow at pressing buttons lol.
By the light of the Moon!.....POOF!
Dustin

Similar Boat

Postby Aanar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 am

I'm late to the game too, having just gotten my first char to 70 (tankadin) a week ago. The gear lists and this site have been a great help on what to work on, but this thread and comments I see in the LFG channel makes it seem like people expect tanks to be overgeared these days.

It's to the point where I'm questioning if I really want to keep going down the tanking career path.

There was an excellent write up I saw awhile back where the key to get people to keep playing is to keep people progressing. I.E people tend to quit when there is nothing left to pursue or when the roadblocks to progress become too severe. That's the summary. But the whole you need badge gear to get badges perdiciment reminded me of it.

At this point in the expansion cycle, is it even worth trying to break into the 5-man circuit as a tank? I'm seriously thinking of just switching to a dps char as a main. At least then dailys and BGs would be more fun and the BG S2 Gear is always there as a progression path if the reg 5 man scene continues to dry up.

Thoughts?

-Aanar
Aanar

Postby Hankthetank » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 am

Sabindeus wrote:that'll teach you to have not been playing the same character since release, imo.

On that note, it's amazing the number of people I know who are actively leveling up a new class with the intent of switching to that character during the gear reset of WotLK. It's more than just people wanting to switch to Death Knights.
Hankthetank

Next

Return to General