Question about healers..

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Question about healers..

Postby Bunnyfer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Ok recently, I have been noticing an odd thing with healers I run with in PuGs. They all seem to have this uber need to be seen on Damage Meters, and they are doing damage in fights, where they should be worrying about mana conservation and healing...

2 Examples...

#1 - I was in a Kara PuG. Ok, already setup for a disaster there, but I digress. The healers were pallies, so you can see where this is going...I was set as off tank, and I had 2 of the healers in my group. While clearing trash toward Attunman, in a very nasty 5-pull, I find myself dead almost right away. Seems our uber pallies thought it was better to throw out an exorcism spell right away on the mobs, instead of heals on the off tank. When questioned about it, it was quoted that when no needs heals, they use it...UMMM Yeah but not at the beginning of a 5-pull!!!

#2 - Pugging again, this time I was on my feral kitty druid, in Ramps. We had a pally tank, who was still getting used to tanking, a shaman, a priest and a 70 mage. Everyone else was level appropriate. The priest was 2nd on the DPS charts...and we never even made it to the first boss...<sigh>

So thats just 2 examples I have of healers lately...Has anyone else come across this recently? I understand attacking if no one needs healing, because you are overgeared or whatever, but the 2 examples above do not warrent that. I always thought healers just kinda stood back, cleared de-buffs, and healed.

Am I wrong?
Bunnyfer

Postby BigBlueCheese » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Don't pug. Or leave as soon as you find trouble. Hopefully it's before you're saved.
Last edited by BigBlueCheese on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlueCheese

Postby Kathane » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Was your priest healer in Ramps a shadow priest who agreed to put on healing gear? :lol:
"What's the kill order?"
"This room, the next room, the hallway, and then the boss."
*throws shield*

Kathane

Postby Bunnyfer » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:32 pm

Kathane wrote:Was your priest healer in Ramps a shadow priest who agreed to put on healing gear? :lol:

No, he was "holy"..but his talent spec was all wrong..

As for not PuGing...sometimes you have to. I am an a low pop server, and my guild is not always on. I only pugged 2 outta of the 5 though...the healer and tank..LOL
Bunnyfer

Postby Phlik » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:25 am

Sometimes you have to PUG - but you don't have to PUG with idiots - well that is a little harsh. You don't have to PUG with people who don't know how to play their class/job.

Keep a list of these "uneducated" people and don't group with them anymore. I have a list I keep - and even put a few of them on my ignore list. If I join a group and they are in it - I briefly explain I don't feel like having a high repair bill due to X being in the group and leave. I do wish them the best of luck though.

Playing a healer is torture to me at times - I don't need the job compounded by people that do stupid things.
Phlik - 70 Paladin - Goblin Engineer/Armorer
Rhuk - 70 Druid - Elixir Master
Mannoroth
Go HORDE!
Phlik

Postby Bunnyfer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:48 am

LOL...hubbys ignore list is full...he has so many people he has had to ignore...Mine was just recently cleaned.

As for not running with bad PuG's, I am getting better at picking them out. A lot of the time I just bail before it gets to bad...When I am playing the MT though, I usually bail MUCH quicker, especially if the asshats are not listening..I do NOT need a 10g repair bill because the healer needs to show off his epeen.
Bunnyfer

Postby Kyrael » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:14 am

I try very hard not to pug at all these days. Usually it's not a problem.

Every once in a while, though, I'll tank a pug heroic or two, usually when a friend has a group and needs a tank.

So now I have a general rule of thumb. I'll only pug with people in guilds more progressed than mine, or alts of those players. Considering we're 5/5 Hyjal and working our way through BT, this works wonders at weeding out the stupid ones.
Kyrael

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:12 am

Well, sort of.

Healers usually end up dropping fire totems, wanding, holy novaing etc etc while they wait for me to need a heal -.-
Had a pally healer friend of mine zone out on a 2 pull meleeing X and let me die:(
Bastard then heal tanked the 2 mobs as dps finished them off and rezzed me:(

Friend up comming pally tank is finding the same thing.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Othniel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:18 am

It can depend... I did a ~40 min H bot run the other day - the shammy healer noticed earthshield was sufficent to heal me on most pulls, swapped to spell dmg gear, and joined in. strangely enough, no wipes :twisted:
Othniel

Postby Trilynne » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:14 am

Wow... I've never come across that. The only time I've seen it is a) when the healer is out of mana on a long fight, I tell them to hit the boss, because I have JoWis on it, and b) in H Bot, the second boss, when he goes into tree form, to take down the adds faster. But both of those cases make sense... Tell them, if they like competing, get into a raid with more than one healer, and compete for top healing :P
Trilynne

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:16 am

Thank god I've not experienced this. I would've punted the healer for being such a tard. If you want to be dps, don't bill yourself as a healer.

That being said... I did a normal BF for a friend and in the end the healer just gave up healing me since it was unnecessary and ended up just attacking whatever the marked target was. Gave me a good laugh.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 am

I was in a heroic underbog one time.

The tank was overgeared, the dps was insane.

The tank took absolutely hardly any dmg.

I jumped up and down on the pulls waiting to heal, said in party, you guys don't need me.

They replied yes we do.

I put on my two-handed weapon and judged light and dps'd.

We had a couple of fears and pulled extra groups, I would back off and heal.

A PUG, no wipes :), and it was a blast.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 am

Othniel wrote:It can depend... I did a ~40 min H bot run the other day - the shammy healer noticed earthshield was sufficent to heal me on most pulls, swapped to spell dmg gear, and joined in. strangely enough, no wipes :twisted:

Earth shield + Healing Stream totem are hax in light damage aoe tanking situations.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Warbal » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:12 am

I only heal for paladins specced into sanctity aura so I can put out some sexy smites and holy fires.
Warbal

Re: Question about healers..

Postby asuka » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:41 am

Bunnyfer wrote:I always thought healers just kinda stood back, cleared de-buffs, and healed.

Am I wrong?
My main is a holy priest, that's pretty much what I do most of the time. The only time I would dps is if the tank is overgeared for the instance and even then I would just throw in a SW:P and maybe a few holy fires for the animation. Most times if the tank is overgeared, I try to see if the tank can outheal me. I run two damage meters and one of them do not count Prayer of Mending as my heals. >.>
asuka

Next

Return to General