So Trade chat made fun of my Mongoose placement...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Postby Candiru » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:27 am

I have Mongoose on my king's defender for when I don't need threat (RoS P1, MotherSharaz, opening tanking on Bloodboil (don't want to get too far ahead!) tanking trash when my target is last to kill etc.)

Mongoose is amazing when it procs, its 5% dodge and 240 armour.
Candiru

Postby Passionario » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 am

Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking, including "Always enchant your weapon with +spelldamage".

Great tankadins know when to break these rules.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sarima » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 am

Passionario wrote:Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking, including "Always enchant your weapon with +spelldamage".

Sigged! (Not a one word post)
Worldie wrote:[...]omg, WotLK will seriously hurt my bran.
Sarima

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:05 am

Dianora wrote:
Targonis wrote:The more spell damage the better... why mongoose? Short on dodge?

I use mongoose on [item=34611]Cudgel of Consecration[/item]. I use that as part of my Hyjal Trashmob set as well as the weapon used in Mother Shahraz. For all other fights, I have the [item=34009]Hammer of Judgement[/item], which does have spell damage.

Fun, that's exactly that i did.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:27 am

Worldie wrote:I wonder what would happen if i enchant +int on my Bulwark.

I will buy an EU account and become your fanboi.
Levantine

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 am

Here's a thread where it's discussed:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=9338

Here's my post from it:

I wrote:Wouldn't 20 Agility be a better enchantment anyway? It grants a steady ~0.88% dodge with Kings, and Mongoose grants around ~5.28% dodge over what (assuming 1.4% PPM and 15 second duration) appears to be around 35% of the time.

0.35 x 5.28 = 1.848% average dodge
0.35 x 264 = 92.4 average armor

Alright, maybe Mongoose would be better, but I don't know. I'd probably just go with spell damage anyway, and consider a different option if I truly wanted to sacrifice some threat for avoidance.

EDIT: Another thought, from a purely itemlevel standpoint, it would take just barely under 46.2 agility in order to get the average amount of dodge and armor offered by Mongoose. Since one point of agility is worth 1 ilevel of stats and one point of spell damage is worth 0.855:

Mongoose is (on average) worth 46.2 ilevel of stats (with Kings), while Major Spellpower is worth only 34.2, and 20 Agility is 22 (Kings included).

So Mongoose is over double the dodge of +20 Agility on average. Twenty agility would only be better if you really want the static dodge over the proc. It's worth mentioning that whether or not its proc rate is 1.4PPM was discussed, as that's generally reported by classes that use special attacks. Reckoning may or may not even this out, if it exists at all.

My guild has (for the most part) dropped Hyjal, but hopefully on a semi-PuG run I can get another Lollipop to put Mongoose on, in case Deathfrost doesn't work out. /crossfingers
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I wonder what would happen if i enchant +int on my Bulwark.

funny you say this....

prior to me joining <premo>, they had had the paladin who ended up eventually going proffessional ret spec prot so they could do some experimenting.
When I came into the guild, they enthusiastically showed me Trajer (the paladin) in his "prot set".

[Guild][Brekke]: ......[Kaz Rogal's Hardened Heart]?
[Guild][Trajer]: what about it?
[Guild][Brekke]: ...enchanted with intellect?

[Whisper from Warlock Class Leader]: Is that bad?
Brekke sighs.
[Whisper to Warlock Class Leader]: ya
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Arnock » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Passionario wrote:Good tankadins know all the fundamental rules of tanking, including "Always enchant your weapon with +spelldamage".

Quoted for Truth
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Maihes » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Worldie wrote:
Dianora wrote:
Targonis wrote:The more spell damage the better... why mongoose? Short on dodge?

I use mongoose on [item=34611]Cudgel of Consecration[/item]. I use that as part of my Hyjal Trashmob set as well as the weapon used in Mother Shahraz. For all other fights, I have the [item=34009]Hammer of Judgement[/item], which does have spell damage.

Fun, that's exactly that i did.

I was lucky enough my spinning pink dildo of death is a common drop, have two, one with Mongoose, one with SD. I want a third for Deathfrost because I can >.>

Sadly my guild forces me to raid as Ret instead of Prot....
Maihes

Postby Lieris » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:15 pm

I have Mongoose on my Fang of the Leviathan. I think it's quite nice especially as with the T6 set bonus and Sanctity Aura I am doing a crazy amount of threat anyway.

If you have multiple spell damage weapons cluttering up your bag space it's worth playing around with.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Re: So Trade chat made fun of my Mongoose placement...

Postby Norrath » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Rhetto wrote:but why could people be so blind as to pick on a pally tank for using mongoose, when warriors use executioner? I mean...executioner? I'd pick mongoose, since melee crit can affect threat, as a side bonus..

You're ranting about people being blind then you say something like this?

Mongoose is a mitigation enchant. The increase to melee crit is a threat increase, yes, but Executioner brings a lot more to the table.

Any warrior who wants threat enchants Executioner, not Mongoose.
Norrath

Re: So Trade chat made fun of my Mongoose placement...

Postby Tzuma » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Norrath wrote:
Rhetto wrote:but why could people be so blind as to pick on a pally tank for using mongoose, when warriors use executioner? I mean...executioner? I'd pick mongoose, since melee crit can affect threat, as a side bonus..

You're ranting about people being blind then you say something like this?

Mongoose is a mitigation enchant. The increase to melee crit is a threat increase, yes, but Executioner brings a lot more to the table.

Any warrior who wants threat enchants Executioner, not Mongoose.
This is the only downside I see too. It almost sounds like you enchanted, and argued, for mongoose based on the melee threat it gives you. Thus, people laughing in chat would be somewhat right.

From a mitigation standpoint, it can make perfect sense, but its quite silly in terms of threat vs. alternatives.

If this didnt happen, ignore me. But the original post gave me the impression.
Tzuma

Previous

Return to General