Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Winkle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:28 am

Just stumbled across this thread after developing a mild interest in pet battles, currently i have 4 pets in the lvl 21-22 range with all my other pets level 18-1.

My lvl 21-22 pets are:
Giant Bone Spider (seemed good at lower levels by web doesn't seem to hit hard anymore)
Jade oozling
Son of Animus
Dark Phoneix hatchling

My current target is to get the pets to level 25 and complete the pet trainer quests from StormWind. Currently doing the outland ones.

Any suggestions for what i should after that?
Winkle

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:44 am

Your first aim to complete the quest from stormwind would be having 1 lvl 25 pet of each element (or a lvl 25 pet with attacks of each element)
From Northrend onwards, you will be facing Epic quality pets, meaning your only way to defeat them is using their counter element (either resistant to their attack, or strong against them, or both)

With those you should be able to clear everything up to spirits of pandaria and legendary beasts. At that point, you will need several pets of each element.

However, once you got 2 lvl 25 pets, training a pet to lvl 25 takes a couple hours at most.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

That's a pretty nice set of pets to start with! :)
(Note: For the Bone Spider, you'll want the two DoTs and Death Grip - put both DoTs on, then shove it to the back - that one will still be taking damage while you're laying more DoTs on the new front guy.)

For the moment, the thing you'll want to do is get at least 2 pets up to level 25 ASAP, and do as many of the trainer quests as you can handle. When you finish a "set" of them (i.e., all the Outland ones) those turn into dailies you can repeat.

You want 2 25s to quickly level other pets using those dailies - the 25s don't soak any XP at all and will destroy the trainers, so the "lowbie" only has to be in there for one turn and then can hide in the back - it'll get a ton of XP after each trainer daily.

After that, it's just a matter of going around and collecting rares of the "good" pets, then leveling them up. You'll want a variety of families and attacks to proceed through the later trainers (Northrend/Cata/Pandaria), and then on to Spirit Tamers and the tournament at the end. Pet PvP is also kind of fun. :)

I'd start with this list:
Anubsith Idol (AQ 40 - Twin Emps, or the AH)
Fel Flame (Shadowmoon Valley)
Any Snail (elemental killers)
Clockwork Gnome (Archeology, or the AH)
Moths (lots of choices - Moths are strong!)
Kun-Lai Runt (Kun-Lai)
Nether Faeire Dragon (near Dire Maul)
Crow (darkmoon faire, you'll have to fight a level 5+ fly as they only appear in the back. You'll probably need an upgrade stone to get a rare of this.)
Scourged Whelpling (haha yeah right, this is an impossible camp. I did the PvP-RP server bit to get one. Ridiculously good, though.)

Lots of other good pets too obviously, level up anything that you think is interesting. :)

You'll also want to get the BattlePetTeams addon.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:47 am

If you have a worgen you can buy a Gilnean Raven from the trainer and save time farming a crow.

My favorite Flying type is the Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling. They can counter nukes with Lift Off, or they can do a flying damage stampede, and are offensive power houses in their other slots.

My favorite aquatic type or water striders, basically regular elemental killers.

You'll also want to toss in a few extra mechanicals. Darkmoon Zeppelin and Pandaren Mechanical Dragonling are strong due to decoy.

My normal power leveling is quite tame since I have 100+ level 25s. I hit up Farmer Nishi, Grandmaster Aki and the Flowing Water Spirit. I can get a pet from level 1 to 22 from those three fights using Safari Hat and 25% sausage.

--

The move set for Rascal-Bot amuses me. Phaser, Lens Flare, Plot Twist (he attacks with a stampede of Polar Bears), Reboot.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby jere » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:21 pm

I definitely recommand the Anub Idol. With him, I am able to solo 2 of the pandaria tamers (aki,yon) as well as the fire elemental. He will be useful in levelling other pets and is a very useful pet in general.

A fast bunny is definitely suggested (S/S breed). The ability to dodge 2 attacks and also burrow away from another is useful in quite a few fights, even in those where you don't have an elemental advantage.

The Terrible Turnip is good for capturing other pets due to it's main attack (Weakened blows I think) not being able to kill enemies.

One that I have come upon recently: A S/S breed Death Adder. In this breed, it will be able to fully blind a target for two rounds + do some decent burst damage. This may not seem much different from dodge, but there are some abilities the tamers have that will still put up a debuff even if the attack is dodged or that do AoE damage even if the first pet dodges. Blind Poison actually prevents some debuffs from being applied (haven't tested against all, but whirlpool is one example) and nullifies AoE while up. I wish I had him while levelling so I could have some more concrete experience.
jere

Postby Zobel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Zobel

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:46 am

Best battle pet evah...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Jabari » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

jere wrote:Any suggestions for the second celestial to pick this week? I got Xu-fu last week. I'm more looking for function (as opposed to cuteness). I was thinking Chi-Chi would be a good choice for second, but still playing around with the idea.

Heh, I actually picked up Chi-Chi myself. Wild Magic is always a neat skill to mess with, and it works well with both quills and alpha strike.

Was tempted by Yu'la though - that AoE (in the 10-slot) looks really good, especially with Lightning Storm, and a shield to possibly protect yourself. *shrug*
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby jere » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:59 am

Yeah, I ended up going with Chi-Chi. I only tried once, but I think I can solo the Flowing Water Spirit team with just him if I tried hard enough. I'll have to play with him some more.
jere

Postby Andurin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Any tips for a first timer going to give the Celestial Tournament a shot? Or should I just try it and see how far I get? ^^
Andurin

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 am

Andurin wrote:Any tips for a first timer going to give the Celestial Tournament a shot? Or should I just try it and see how far I get? ^^

Build your teams for the celestial bosses first. Then work backwards to create teams to go against the Champion tamers and not use any members from your boss teams.

Taran Zhu has a humanoid that can feign death which can crimp your entire round so I like to hit him with a big undead nuke that one shots him, well I basically do that for all of his pets. I use a Curse of Doom Magic pet since his first pet does a critter attack then I use a Blighthawk to nuke out his second pet.

Most of the tamers are pretty easy to counter and if you run into issues wowhead basically has "plays the game for you" tips.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Ruldar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I really need to look into running the tournament. I have a pretty sizable stable of lvl 25 pets, somewhere over 75 so I imagine I should be able to come up with the combinations to do it.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 am

To add on to what Flex said: If you are just starting out, see if you can prepare 2 teams for each celestial boss, incase you flop once or have bad RNG (for teams that this matters).

Also, if you look up strategies on sites like warcraftpets but don't have all the pets listed, see if you can find a pet you do have that has a similar enough move set for the strat, don't be afraid to try it out (especially on the first 3 tramers).

Try to get a good leveling process for outside the tournament. Once you have identified the pets you need, see if you need to level any. Then go from tamer to tamer and try to level up your next pet. You should be able to level one pet per day without a huge time sink (an hour or less) if you have the safari hat and can do about 6 of the pandaria trainers with 2 or less pets. Shoot the Anubiseth Idol can solo 3 trainers, so you just need him plus a couple other 2 pet teams.
jere

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:44 am

The only Celestial I have an issue with is Zao. If I get a miss his Wish will go off and I'll lose. Luckily he doesn't have a one hit kill so a simple bomb team will take care of him.
Flex

Postby jere » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:38 pm

A lot of people have trouble with Xu Fu and Chi Chi. Some beginners might have trouble, so it is usually a good idea to have some backups incase you mess up or have bad RNG.

Each person has different battles that can be risky based on their teams. For me for example, Zao is pretty solid. I've never had issues and he could use wish all day long and my team will still take him down (not to say it is perfect, but I would have to miss a lot of abilities in a row). Xu-Fu does have a more random component for me (as does Yu-la), so I make sure to have a backup team just incase. As I level more pets, I can probably whittle out those riskier teams.
jere

PreviousNext

Return to General