Remove Advertisements

Relationships

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Relationships

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 am

Barathorn wrote:
Lieris wrote:Thank you for mansplaining to me why bitch and cunt are not sexist words.

There aren't enough roll eyes smilies in the world. :roll: :roll:

Yeah I am with you here Lieris, I never use either of those words. they fall into the same 'do not use ever box' as Rape and 'any slang term' for any race for me.

I swear a lot. But I tend to swear using terms such as F***bunnies and P***flaps.

You are good people Bara.

The oblivious irony of men justifying those words by linking them to supposed behaviour when they have are used so often to silence, humiliate and put women in their place just for displaying traits that would be considered positive in a man (assertiveness, confidence etc.) shouldn't be lost on anyone.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:49 am

I think Adam Hills summed it up perfectly when he said,

Don't be a dick.

It would appear most people think being a dick is clever and posting to make a point is cool. They miss the fact that it isn't what you post, it is how you post.

How has this once mighty place fallen to this.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Certain characteristics, and their gender. You can't just ignore the gendered basis of the c-word any more than you can ignore the racial slur background of the n-word.

This comment held the most weight for me.

As a woman, I find myself far more inclined to use the negative words for male appendages than I do the female ones. That being said I don't believe the word asshole has the same impact as the c-word, so it really does come down to how you were raised and what your biases are. I take MAJOR issue with the words fag or gay though. God I hate those.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

Nikachelle wrote:I take MAJOR issue with the words fag or gay though. God I hate those.

same here

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nooska » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am

as for "gay" it is my impression that, at least around here, that is an embraced word.

However, while I agree that cunt and bitch (I apologize if it is offensive that I write them out, but I am not persoanlly afraid of words) are on the sexist scale (since they rely on somone being female most of the time, though I have heard them used about men too), it is not misogynistic, by definition.

They do not denote a general attitude of being less.

The same as calling a man a prick or an arsehole (the closest anatomical equivalent) will usually be based on gender (though arsehole is probably the genderneutral on, since both genders have the anatomcial reference), they are, again not misandrist by definition.

Please, remember that showing disrespect in a specific case is not the same as being someone "who hates, dislikes, mistrusts, or mistreats (wo)men" (paranthesis added to make it useable for both misogyni and misandrony.

Just like someone calling someone of a different race a slur, does not automatically make the person a racist.

Using derogatory terms for individuals are for the clear majority not a representation of a general thought pattern, but more an expression of (negative) passion, and an attempt to hurt the person (or the representation of the person) to get rid of the negative passion.

What words you use in sucha situation is also based on your upbringing and the biases you have been exposed to, as you will be going for the worst and crudest and most hurtful expressions you can use. In other words, if you use these words in a heated expulsion, you are more likely to NOT be, in this case, a misogynist (or racist or whatever).

It is the use of these words in everyday reference that you would point toward the person using them being [whatever]*ist.

Also, I really want to suggest that anyone reacting to what others have written, should take a deep breath and ask themselves why they are reacting - oftentimes its because we, ourselves, are imperfect and have had one or another experience that causes the reaction - whoever we are reacting to on here is NOT the person responsible for what we have experienced, so take a deep breath, say some things out loud and tone down the reaction while writing it, please*.

* One of the things I admire most about the maintankadin community is that we can discuss (and argue) about almost anything, without it actually getting personal. Especially in this thread, it is important to remember, that there will be comments made in the heat of passion (both directions), and that this thread is especially made for those remarks too.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nooska » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 am

bldavis wrote:Image

Damn he looks ironic while clapping.
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am

it wasnt meant to be ironic...it just happens to be the first clapping gif i found :P

bldavis

Postby Nooska » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

bldavis wrote:it wasnt meant to be ironic...it just happens to be the first clapping gif i found :P

Yeah, I figured :mrgreen:
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:15 am

Lieris wrote:The oblivious irony of men justifying those words by linking them to supposed behaviour when they have are used so often to silence, humiliate and put women in their place just for displaying traits that would be considered positive in a man (assertiveness, confidence etc.) shouldn't be lost on anyone.

That's just it though, that's you bringing that baggage not men. To be honest, most men find assertiveness and confidence in a woman, to be very desirable traits. Who wants to hang out with anyone that has a poor opinion of themselves? That is not even the typical behavior that brings out the bitch word anyhow.

Sure there can be a fine line there, but contrary to your assertion that exists for men way more so than for woman. In that regard women can get away with WAY more of that sort of behavior than men, simply because it's socially unacceptable kick your ass. Do you have any idea how shitty the world would be if men didn't have to care about getting their ass kicked for being a dick all the time? Whatever you are thinking...multiply it by ten.

It's likely more of a sexist thing to call a man a bitch than to call a woman a bitch, as that actually is using the gender as part of the insult. Sure bitch is a gender based term, but so is "she" and "her", it's just usually the feminine version of telling someone that they are being an asshat.

I'm not really much of a name caller (well except to my close friends, but that's a different thing entirely), but the word cunt for some reason to me just sounds really terrible. That tends to cross the line a bit for me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am

I disagree with the "most men" part of your statement. That's not a male quality, that's a Western male quality. Big difference.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:13 am

Fair enough, that was really an assumed context on my part.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm

"There's no cure for being a cunt."

- Bronn, speaking about King Joffrey
Paxen

Postby Era » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Paxen wrote:"There's no cure for being a cunt."

- Bronn, speaking about King Joffrey

"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 pm

going with this min tangent - i have to give mad props to the kid playing Joffery...i have never hated someone so much as i do him..hell of an actor to play that role so well

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum