Page 979 of 1015

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:46 am
by Nikachelle
KysenMurrin wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Nooska wrote:@Nikachelle, I see IKEA Billy shelves in the background?

Indeed they are - and not something I would continue to purchase when we eventually get a house. While handy, they're not particularly sturdy.

Arg. I just bought a set of those for my place. I resisted at first but couldn't seem to find anything that looked right and was reasonably priced. Hope they're stable enough, they'll be almost totally filled with books...

Okay well here's some context then. I've had those bookcases for about 8 years. So clearly they're still standing (and there's three other bookcases the same in that room - all filled with books/movies). But I've moved apartments about 5 times in that span of time so they've gone through a lot of moving vans, etc. and as a result they're starting to look a bit tattered around the edges (it IS just particle board after all). You've just moved into a house and are unlikely to be going anywhere for a very long time so I wouldn't worry about it.

Real wood bookcases, while fabulous to look at, are frigging PRICEY. So don't worry too much about the IKEA ones you've picked up in the meantime. Over time you may want to consider hiring a carpenter to just actually put up floor to ceiling bookcases as a permanent structure - but I doubt that'd be at the top of your list of priorities for the moment!

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 pm
by Nooska
Good to Know.
I just finished assembling a total of 8 of them last sunday for our library (6 full size, 2 half size, and an additional 2 Benno for DVDs etc). The Kilby ones we have around the apartmentdidn't do very well when we moved (once), but the Billy seem more sturdy.

And yeah, real wood is pricey.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:13 pm
by Paxen
I've got three Billy shelves in my living room, and I think they're something like 20 years old. Not really sure, though, I got them from my mother (I think they came from our old house where I grew up).

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:56 am
by JoeBravo
Nikachelle wrote:[...]
Okay well here's some context then. I've had those bookcases for about 8 years. So clearly they're still standing (and there's three other bookcases the same in that room - all filled with books/movies). But I've moved apartments about 5 times in that span of time so they've gone through a lot of moving vans, etc. and as a result they're starting to look a bit tattered around the edges (it IS just particle board after all). You've just moved into a house and are unlikely to be going anywhere for a very long time so I wouldn't worry about it.

Real wood bookcases, while fabulous to look at, are frigging PRICEY. So don't worry too much about the IKEA ones you've picked up in the meantime. Over time you may want to consider hiring a carpenter to just actually put up floor to ceiling bookcases as a permanent structure - but I doubt that'd be at the top of your list of priorities for the moment!


true that.
I know what my parents paid for theirs (2 bookcases, a desk and 2 low 5 meter long kabinets): you can buy a small car for that amount of money. :shock:

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm
by bldavis
listening to the radio and a song came on that was one of my ex-gf's and my song..
i didnt think anything of it til half way through i realize i am singing along with it and there is wetness on my cheeks...

ffs, we dated for just a few months over a decade ago
this song should NOT affect me still! :evil:

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:28 am
by Barathorn
bldavis wrote:listening to the radio and a song came on that was one of my ex-gf's and my song..
i didnt think anything of it til half way through i realize i am singing along with it and there is wetness on my cheeks...

ffs, we dated for just a few months over a decade ago
this song should NOT affect me still! :evil:


You better shape up.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 am
by Nikachelle
Songs that I had with exs really piss me off now. Not because the relationship was bad, but because the song was damn good and now I can't listen to the song without being like "oh this is the song that my ex and I loved!" Damn songs are forever tainted by past relationships, not nice!

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:43 am
by JoeBravo
Nikachelle wrote:Songs that I had with exs really piss me off now. Not because the relationship was bad, but because the song was damn good and now I can't listen to the song without being like "oh this is the song that my ex and I loved!" Damn songs are forever tainted by past relationships, not nice!


funerals can ruin a song too. :(

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 pm
by bldavis
yeah, i cant listen to Daddy's hands or If Tomorrow Never Comes without thinking about my grandfather's funeral

honestly i think it is just recent stress, esp in the relationship department, that made me extra sensitive to that song...i guess/hope

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 pm
by fuzzygeek
Nooska wrote:Good to Know.
I just finished assembling a total of 8 of them last sunday for our library (6 full size, 2 half size, and an additional 2 Benno for DVDs etc). The Kilby ones we have around the apartmentdidn't do very well when we moved (once), but the Billy seem more sturdy.

And yeah, real wood is pricey.


I actually like Ikea furniture, but that's because it tends to be simple and linear, which we like, vs. the ornate crufty and ornate wood of stuff you find in "real" furniture stores. All the furniture in the house except the pool table, couch, and a couple things I built is from Ikea, come to think (hooray Malm). I used a Lack coffee table to build a kotatsu for the family room, even.

For the bookshelves in the "theater room" (converted extra bedroom) I actually got 10 foot planks from the local hardware shop and hung them on elfa racks. The elfa bits were pricy when I bought them twenty years ago, but they've lasted me through three apartments and two houses. I'm sure there's a cheaper verson of them out there.

Image

Considerably cheaper than full shelving systems. I like open bookshelves and flexibility of the rack system, but this wouldn't work in every room.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:39 am
by Barathorn
Nikachelle wrote:Songs that I had with exs really piss me off now. Not because the relationship was bad, but because the song was damn good and now I can't listen to the song without being like "oh this is the song that my ex and I loved!" Damn songs are forever tainted by past relationships, not nice!


See I am the exact opposite. Even with relationships that have ended poorly I don't force that negativity on to the song if I like it. I think I just always look forward and refuse to let good things be ruined by shite things. Some songs do make me think, but I don't let the process be negative, we learn from our mistakes I guess and that is always a positive thing for me personally.

In other news.

Sacha Baron Cohen is a fecking god for his performance at the comedy awards last night. He completely deserves the Lifetime Achievement Award even though he hasn't been around that long.

The gold tracksuit is truly genius. 'What is this brand, I never heard of it'....

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 pm
by Fivelives
So I lost a filling and asked my friend if she could recommend a dentist. Thing is, I'm kind of a HUGE dentophobe, so I require nitrous gas - which for some odd reason, not every dentist uses. This conversation ensued when I went to my appointment a couple hours ago and found out that this dentist doesn't use nitrous:

Her: Well I told you they didn't use nitrous!
Me: You what? I didn't get a text, email, facebook, or phone call about it.
Her: I facebooked Jennifer. I'm talking to her about it now.
Me: So in order to tell me something, you sent my couch-surfer a facebook message? That's kind of ass-backwards. That's like me knowing that your mom lives with you, so if I desperately need to get ahold of you I call your mom and ask her to pass the message to you.

So I guess it's time to find a dentist. Ugh.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 am
by Barathorn
Yeah in the UK its rare for a dentist to use gas. In fact my wife is also a huge dentophobe and we had a hell of a job getting her into a practise that uses gas.

It just isn't common because of the extra risk and hassle involved I guess.

Hope you get it sorted out, dentistry can be a real PITA.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 am
by Boyfriend
While generally Nitrous oxide is harmless there's just been a general trend in medicine to not reduce the patients state of consciousness unless necessary. Generally they're worried that if something goes wrong while the patient is under reduced mental capacity the patient will be unable to inform them, so having the patient as lucid as possible is preferred.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:12 pm
by Fivelives
It's more likely because it's more expensive for the dentist to use. It makes procedures take longer, so they can't see as many patients in a day, and costs more in both supplies and malpractice insurance premiums.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:44 pm
by Arnock
Have a holly jolly Apocalypse, it's the worst time of the year.
Say goodbye to friends and cry, and take a swig of beer.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:10 pm
by Nikachelle
Fivelives wrote:It's more likely because it's more expensive for the dentist to use. It makes procedures take longer, so they can't see as many patients in a day, and costs more in both supplies and malpractice insurance premiums.

So why are you scared of the dentist?

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 am
by Fivelives
Probably because they can never get me numb, so every time I go to the dentist, I feel every single thing they're doing in my mouth. That's been the case as long as I can remember, going back to my twice-yearly cleanings when I was a kid.

Of course, phobias don't have to be all that rational, that's just my best guess.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:48 am
by Snake-Aes
I has a relationship nao!
With this little bundle of awesome <3
Image
(She's 5'2" and I'm a bit past 5'10")

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:34 am
by Levantine
God damn you.

Jks happy for you. Ps I miss you come to Australia okay? Okay.

Also I'm officially un-dateable. Had the only guy who's ever rejected me say that the only reason he did was because it would have been a rebound and that he regrets it. I laughed and said yup, I bet you wish you dated me before I figured out I was really good at sex without emotional baggage. Would definitely sleep with him on NYE if he started it still, I just hope he doesn't because he's actually a good guy in spite of what he claims though.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:11 pm
by bldavis
grats snake, she is beautiful!

and i am in the same boat with most of my past gfs, i am 5' 11" and they were between 5' 2" and 5' 6"

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:26 pm
by Snake-Aes
Us
Image

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am
by Brekkie
Fivelives wrote:Probably because they can never get me numb, so every time I go to the dentist, I feel every single thing they're doing in my mouth. That's been the case as long as I can remember, going back to my twice-yearly cleanings when I was a kid.

Of course, phobias don't have to be all that rational, that's just my best guess.


Have you told them that? Some people are naturally resistant to the common anesthetic they use (which tends to be the cheapest variety available locally). They can easily switch to a different one that you don't have resistance to, but they have no way of knowing to do that unless you express to them that the initial anesthetic doesn't work for you.

I have to use non-standard anesthetics myself, though that's because I've had a lot of dental work over the years and have built up a tolerance. Numbweed is a drug, like any other, so some people are less or more affected by it and you naturally have a certain level of tolerance

It's also possible that the nerve is in a different location in your jaw than is standard among most people, which is not unheard of due to normal anatomical variation. If this is the case, they can inject you all day but it won't do anything if they are injecting into the wrong spot. But again, they have no way of knowing this unless you communicate to the dentist that the drug is not working and you can still feel stuff.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:41 am
by Fivelives
I do tell them that, every time, but they assume it's just my dentophobia talking and proceed anyway. I'm almost to the point where I'll go and find an oral surgeon to do all of my dentistry under conscious sedation with propofol.

Re: Relationships

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 am
by Nikachelle
So... who else is working today? We were under the impression that we'd be let out at noon, but now it's looking more like 2:30 p.m.. Not impressed!