Soul Calibur 4... can it be saved??

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Allaren » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Heaven or Hell?
Walking the fine line between genius and insanity. Now with sprinkles!
Allaren

Postby fafhrd » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
fafhrd wrote:talim > all

i never played sc3 so can't compare. liked sc2 a lot more than sc1 though :(

it never became a counterfest for me unless we were playing link vs link, since that's the only character i was decent at guarding/guard impacting with. everyone else i was just sidestepping/ducking/jumping attacks since I couldn't ever guard properly.

... You realize guarding/parrying is not specific to the character you are playing, but the character you are playing against, right?

notice that I specified both the character played with and the character played against in that sentence. link v link it was worth it for me to guard because a) i could read my opponent, and b) link doesn't side step + attack well (or at least if he does the moves aren't in the set generated by my hands when I need them). talim/xianghua/cassandra i'd much rather just keep changing positions/heights to avoid stuff, nightmare/mitsurugi/seungmina/linkVsNonLink i'd rather stay at range and watch for an opening for a strike and starting off a grab or knockdown followed by ground hits.

and fwiw, no it's not specific solely to your opponent, it can depend on the weapon your own character is using too (the most extreme example being damascus sword which won't let you guard at all - which is quite delicious for a non-blocking style that waits to chain through an opening, until you meet someone really good at guardimpacting).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:47 pm

fafhrd wrote:nightmare/mitsurugi/seungmina/linkVsNonLink i'd rather stay at range and watch for an opening for a strike

Sounds like what I do with Ivy. <3 her weapon ranges and aerial to ground combos. Once I got them in the air, I had won the battle.

The guard and guard impacting was more of a Sophitia thing for me. Her quick counter attacks and combos were super easy to chain after a guard impact...so I did.
Levantine

Postby Exodius » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:44 am

I found the way the characters played through the series really changed quite dramatically. Seong Mina is my personal favourite. She was great in SC1 and 2, but in 3 they made her mechanics all wrong. :(

For SC3, Maxi and Siegfried were probably my strongest characters. I could smack people around with Seigfried all day in SC3, but playing Nightmare I just could not control him well. Compared to SC1 the two were nearly identical in that game (surprisingly enough).

I found Maxi in SC3 to be great as well. He just moved really fluidly and could change his combos so easily on the fly... Maxi I think has just gotten better and better as the series progressed. From a hesitant small combo out of range chump to an awesome hit any height any range too quick to follow massive combo sort of fellow. :D

I never really got Soul Edge. It just seemed too.. non-fluid for my tastes. They made the game a whole lot smoother, and not just graphically, with Soul Calibur. :?

As for a favourite game... well, I think all the Soul Caliburs were good. Different in their own unique ways, but all great games. :D

Mmmmm... all this talk makes me want to load up a copy of the game again. :D
Exodius

Postby Exodius » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:45 am

Levantine wrote:
fafhrd wrote:any word on who the special for the wii will be?

....pikachu

Pikachu...

With a Lightsaber! :D

Seriously though, I have heard no official lines that it will be coming to a Wii. :(
Exodius

Postby Levantine » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:45 am

Exodius wrote:Mmmmm... all this talk makes me want to load up a copy of the game again. :D

Iknowright

I was looking at my gamecube, going, 'FUCK where'd I put the disc'.
Levantine

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:45 am

fafhrd wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
fafhrd wrote:talim > all

i never played sc3 so can't compare. liked sc2 a lot more than sc1 though :(

it never became a counterfest for me unless we were playing link vs link, since that's the only character i was decent at guarding/guard impacting with. everyone else i was just sidestepping/ducking/jumping attacks since I couldn't ever guard properly.

... You realize guarding/parrying is not specific to the character you are playing, but the character you are playing against, right?

notice that I specified both the character played with and the character played against in that sentence. link v link it was worth it for me to guard because a) i could read my opponent, and b) link doesn't side step + attack well (or at least if he does the moves aren't in the set generated by my hands when I need them). talim/xianghua/cassandra i'd much rather just keep changing positions/heights to avoid stuff, nightmare/mitsurugi/seungmina/linkVsNonLink i'd rather stay at range and watch for an opening for a strike and starting off a grab or knockdown followed by ground hits.

and fwiw, no it's not specific solely to your opponent, it can depend on the weapon your own character is using too (the most extreme example being damascus sword which won't let you guard at all - which is quite delicious for a non-blocking style that waits to chain through an opening, until you meet someone really good at guardimpacting).

oops, reading failure
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum