Thoughts and feels about "The Superpower"

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Thesupreme » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 pm

That's the standard answer of anyone denying global warming. So yeah, there has been ice-ages and warm periods before our time. Sure. But that doesn't mean we are not the cause of this one. Alot of scientists do belive the opposite of your theory.

Taking both theories into account, and saying no one is more true then the other, don't you think it'd be better, for future generations, to do something to try and prevent it? Maybe global warming is just complete bullocks. Fine. Then our coming generations will hopefully have learned from our misstakes. That's good right? But if it's not, then it's all for the good.

But hell, maybe it's just me that think we owe it to our next coming.

@Umeå's temperature. There is a whole lot of difference in 7+ degrees and 5 minus. Snow perhapsie? Not that you actually ski around Umeå, but still.

@The fish, we don't have those in Sweden. Atleast I've never seen 'em. There is however a candy shaped like fish, but I don't think it's exclusively Swedish, and it's usually found amongst pick-a-mix-candy.
Superman tanks all!

Thesupreme - 70 - Al'Akir - I aint no superman
Thesupreme
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:23 am

Postby Ohmslaw » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 pm

The way I see it is we are only 1 cataclysmic event from not having to worry about global warming. Big ole meteor or a nice huge eruption of a volcano could do it.

As to Al Gore.... lol

The dude has a monstrous house that wastes huge amounts of energy each year to heat/cool. He flies around on a jet plane, rides in a huge bus, limos, etc. The guy really cracks me up. It's like having Colonel Sanders petitioning for Peta.
Image
Image
Ohmslaw
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Postby YoYoMa » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Thesupreme wrote:@Umeå's temperature. There is a whole lot of difference in 7+ degrees and 5 minus. Snow perhapsie? Not that you actually ski around Umeå, but still.
Oh yes, I realize that is quite a big temperature swing. You said in 40 years the temperature of northern Sweden will be that of southern France at our current rate of warming. Which is roughly a 13 degree swing using today's averages. I'm asking you (for clarificaiton) if that is what you feel is going to happen in 40 years?

Col. Sanders petitioning for PETA.. that cracked me up :lol: It reminds me of those tests we used to take

Col. Sanders is to PETA, as Al Gore is to ??

*edit booo, the formatting didn't hold.
YoYoMa
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:51 am

Postby Oramac » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Thesupreme wrote:That's the standard answer of anyone denying global warming. So yeah, there has been ice-ages and warm periods before our time. Sure. But that doesn't mean we are not the cause of this one. Alot of scientists do belive the opposite of your theory.

Taking both theories into account, and saying no one is more true then the other, don't you think it'd be better, for future generations, to do something to try and prevent it? Maybe global warming is just complete bullocks. Fine. Then our coming generations will hopefully have learned from our misstakes. That's good right? But if it's not, then it's all for the good.

But hell, maybe it's just me that think we owe it to our next coming


i never said we shouldnt do anything about it. nor did i say its not at least in part our fault. just that saying its definitely our fault isnt true either.
Aplus wrote:Yeah every time I get a big head, I go and try to solo a warlock.brings me back down to earth pretty fast
Oramac
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:16 am

Postby fiorina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Ye, global warming jihad. It's a blue planet, not green.

Earth is warming, either because of cow farts, sun activity or some extra CO2. In year, let say 2100, temperature will be 5 degrees higher.

Now what can we do with it?

We can invest trillions and trillions of dollars to change it. By regulations indeed, so so smart guy chosen by green political party will tell you which car you should use, what should you eat and how big house you should have. Then... in year 2100, temperature will be 4,5 degrees higher. Or maybe lower, noone knows.
But what those guys knows for sure, is that they can help... they need only obscene amounts of money for pursuit "green" policy.

NOT MY MONEY GREEN F*CKERS!
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Aalryn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Thesupreme wrote:Taking both theories into account, and saying no one is more true then the other,



Am I the only person who is bothered by the blatant and constant misuse of the word Theory?

.. maybe that's just because I'm a physicist.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
User avatar
Aalryn
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Postby Thesupreme » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:39 pm

YoYoMa wrote:
Thesupreme wrote:@Umeå's temperature. There is a whole lot of difference in 7+ degrees and 5 minus. Snow perhapsie? Not that you actually ski around Umeå, but still.
Oh yes, I realize that is quite a big temperature swing. You said in 40 years the temperature of northern Sweden will be that of southern France at our current rate of warming. Which is roughly a 13 degree swing using today's averages. I'm asking you (for clarificaiton) if that is what you feel is going to happen in 40 years?

Col. Sanders petitioning for PETA.. that cracked me up :lol: It reminds me of those tests we used to take

Col. Sanders is to PETA, as Al Gore is to ??

*edit booo, the formatting didn't hold.


Well, I just winged that one tbh. Would suck if it happened though. I just thought southern france is a warm place.

Edit: I like this, no angry tone in the last couple of posts :)
Superman tanks all!

Thesupreme - 70 - Al'Akir - I aint no superman
Thesupreme
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:23 am

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Or we could just, you know, live greener, since it's pretty much just a good thing to do. /shrug

I dunno about you, but I can't breathe CO2, so the less of it I put out, the better, imo. I'm more than happy to use 'green' lightbulbs, and drive a hybrid. I don't see why y'all are so against it, I mean, they're easy things to do.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Postby fiorina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Levantine wrote:Or we could just, you know, live greener, since it's pretty much just a good thing to do. /shrug

I dunno about you, but I can't breathe CO2, so the less of it I put out, the better, imo. I'm more than happy to use 'green' lightbulbs, and drive a hybrid. I don't see why y'all are so against it, I mean, they're easy things to do.


Green is good. -But dad, why is green good. -Because it's good thing to do, son.

Easy things for me to do to achieve what? Where is the "threat" we should fight with hybrids. What is it?
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Tornadoes are hitting the southern shore of my country for the first time in 500 years of history.

Blame? Global Warming. The changing temperatures allowed the formation of those winds closer to our shore over the last 5 years.
Water usage is another issue. We *know* we can't, at the current pace, keep a supply of it in a few decades.Just like Oil. Find a new resource after it's over? SUre, but why make it that way if it can be made easier?

It's pretty much just it. Just because you don't see the threat doesn't mean the threat isn't there. Check the guys who discovered Radiation. ALl dead from cancer. Not knowing it was a threat didn't save them.

Maybe you won't see it happening, maybe your sons won't, but your grandsons may.
If you follow that line of thought or not, it's your personal preference. But it doesn't mean yours is right. Any actually.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15548
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby fiorina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Tornadoes are hitting the southern shore of my country for the first time in 500 years of history.

Blame? Global Warming. The changing temperatures allowed the formation of those winds closer to our shore over the last 5 years.


There was deep forests in regions of current Greenland(close to north pole for geography disabled) . There was glaciers down to current Sahara desert. Both many times in the history. There are rich oil reserves below Antarctica, how the heck did it get there. Blame? Global warming.

Now again, what changing my SUV for hybrid have to do with it.
Last edited by fiorina on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:08 pm

You are talking about events that took hundreds of thousands of years to happen. These are happening over a single century.


Yeah, Trading your SUV for a hybrid has quite a bit to do with it. Cars are the biggest "villains" on the CO2 emissions.

No one will force you to trade one, yet, but what's the point of not doing it if you can do it with no loss on your current usage for the car?
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15548
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Aalryn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Yeah, Trading your SUV for a hybrid has quite a bit to do with it. Cars are the biggest "villains" on the CO2 emissions.



actually livestock is. all of the cars in the world dont account for even 2% of the total worlds emissions.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
User avatar
Aalryn
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Postby fiorina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:You are talking about events that took hundreds of thousands of years to happen. These are happening over a single century.


There have been events much more severe compared with current global warming in the history, like Ice age coming.

So if we stop producing CO2 overnight or all world will use hybrids from next week. What is going to happen? Temperature will decrease and there will be no tornadoes in south Brazil, right?
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

Postby fiorina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Aalryn wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Yeah, Trading your SUV for a hybrid has quite a bit to do with it. Cars are the biggest "villains" on the CO2 emissions.



actually livestock is. all of the cars in the world dont account for even 2% of the total worlds emissions.


of course... and not counting some severe volcano explosion which usually happens once per 25 years, it will shit out more CO2 than all cars altogether for last 20 years...

But no, turn off the lights, give money to green goverment.. because bad things are going to happen!!


I am not saying go ahead with pollution or deforestation, but I am strongly against any "green politics". It stinks. There is a big flashing light above their heads saying "give me your money and I will regulate your life and protect you from some future threat even scientist can't find consensus why is happening".

If you kill half of Australian sheeps(or it's new zealand famous for you know what?) it will have much bigger effect on CO2 production. But it's politically unviable. They better keep bothering me if I am trying to drive my SUV to the center of many Europe towns. I have to move my ass to hybrid if I'd like to get there. They don't care it took more energy to produce battery-cells for that hybrid compared with amount of energy it will save during lifespan... But who cares.

Ending discussion here... having only headache from politics
Last edited by fiorina on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
fiorina
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest