Remove Advertisements

What Do you Have Riding on Super Bowl

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Postby Levantine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:42 am

Daine wrote:Being English I'm still going to say proper football and rugby are much better in general. That was one hell of a 4th quarter, however.

Other than the fact I'm Australian, and the entire thing was boring to me, that quote is entirely true.
Levantine

Postby ryan4nayr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:43 am

Fridmarr wrote:... set play format ... dynamic ...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that 1. In general, I don't see much mingling in terms of game roles... quarterback calls plays & passes the ball, running backs run (duh?), various tackles tackle the opposing team (triple duh, these guys have taken a few too many knocks on the head). I do agree that the various strategies involved are very diverse & interestingly complex.

It's a little too close to WoW raiding really :( You don't generally don't see the healers tackling the opposing mobs. Meanwhile, every player in "proper football" can score, including the goalie.

However, I understand that some people are just plain crazy about one specific team. My g/f is an Ohio State University football nut :roll:

On-topic, my Pats fanatic relatives now have to behave meek & humble for the rest of the year :P
ryan4nayr

Postby lusisia » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:24 am

ryan4nayr wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:... set play format ... dynamic ...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that 1. In general, I don't see much mingling in terms of game roles... quarterback calls plays & passes the ball, running backs run (duh?), various tackles tackle the opposing team (triple duh, these guys have taken a few too many knocks on the head). I do agree that the various strategies involved are very diverse & interestingly complex.

It's a little too close to WoW raiding really :( You don't generally don't see the healers tackling the opposing mobs. Meanwhile, every player in "proper football" can score, including the goalie.

However, I understand that some people are just plain crazy about one specific team. My g/f is an Ohio State University football nut :roll:

On-topic, my Pats fanatic relatives now have to behave meek & humble for the rest of the year :P

Oh how I hate..Ohio State.

I married into a family of UMich graduates. I cheer for Ohio State and will be blacklisted from any future family events. Luckily my team is SEC (Go Dawgs!) so it wasn't a big deal for me to go Wolverines in the Big 10.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Mortehl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:24 am

$985 won in office pool. Life is good.

American football has its strengths and weaknesses. It truly is a team sport (just like Soccer and Rugby). In my opinion it is a matter of passion and familiarity. I'm sure if I grew up in a country where Soccer and/or Rugby were the premier sport(s), I'd feel more strongly about that then American Football.

What the hell, I'm really a baseball fan and last night was a (good) excuse to drink, eat ribs and be obnoxious for 4 hours.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Levantine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:50 am

American footballers are pussies. WTF body armour?!?!?

L@rugby
Levantine

Postby Lore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:01 am

moved to the garbage bin

I mean the asylum
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Ahms » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:10 am

Thesupreme wrote:Why is it that I don't understand why people like this sport so much..? It just seems so repatative ( Trying spelling that with a hang-over)

Anyone feel like explaining?

wow isn't repetitive? :)

most sports may look like that if you aren't into it. if you play you know how dynamic they can be though- the time just goes by too fast when you are in the rush

football is the only sport i don't play too much since none of my friends play it but i like watching it. i am a little more into soccer/tennis since the flow is a little more continuous
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Levantine » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:21 am

HOLY SHIT LORE STILL POSTS HERE?!?!?!?!?!?

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!?!?!?!?
Levantine

Postby Barathorn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 am

Lore wrote:moved to the garbage bin

I mean the asylum

We still love you Lore, its just we can let our hair down in Invis's house.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:54 am

fuck y'all

GO GIANTS WOO
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Baelor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 am

Barathorn wrote:

I mean the asylum

We still love you Lore, its just we can let our hair down in Invis's house.

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby thegreatheed » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:08 am

Ahms wrote:
Thesupreme wrote:Why is it that I don't understand why people like this sport so much..? It just seems so repatative ( Trying spelling that with a hang-over)

Anyone feel like explaining?

wow isn't repetitive? :)

most sports may look like that if you aren't into it. if you play you know how dynamic they can be though- the time just goes by too fast when you are in the rush

football is the only sport i don't play too much since none of my friends play it but i like watching it. i am a little more into soccer/tennis since the flow is a little more continuous

For starters, the depth of the game does become evident if you've previously played or been around the sport. Even the offensive lineman (the big guys in the middle for the team with the ball) have a lot of strategy involved in their blocking schemes. For any single play, which a good offense will have hundreds scripted, the players must know how to execute that play against many many defensive scenarios. The quarterback ( the player throwing the ball or handing it off) has probably the most complex job in the entire game. Last night we saw a new young quarterback (eli manning of the giants) perform very very well against a strong, veteran defense.

I absolutely loved playing football, though I didn't play past high school (but did make 1st team all-state my senior year). I passed on any athletic scholarship opportunities to take an academic scholarship. For me, professional football is fun to watch, but less dynamic than college or high school level. The variance is skill level in the NFL is much smaller, so their is just less excitement and possibility.
thegreatheed

Postby Mortehl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 am

Ribs: 24.98
Chili: 5.00
Chips: 2.00
Beer: 52.00

Seeing Tom Brady used as a prison yard bitch by the Giants defense: Priceless.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Invisusira » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:36 am

I mean the asylum

HAY
Invisusira

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 am

Levantine wrote:American footballers are pussies. WTF body armour?!?!?

L@rugby

HAHA, of all the reasons people complain about American football, this one is probably the most ludicrous. Look, the pads are needed if you want to see the hits on the field the way these guys are capable off. I mean on your average kickoff, you'll have 3-4 guys who weigh over 300 pounds and can run a sub 5.0 40yrd dash, run full speed into blockers. Without pads, these players would likely be dead or maimed, even now it still happens (Kevin Everett).

Calling NFL players pussies because they wear pads, is like calling boxers pussies because they wear gloves. Sure rugby is a rough and at times a brutal sport, but they don't hit in the way American football players hit not because they aren't capable of it, but because they don't have pads and it's a different game.

By the way, if you are interested, some universities have started doing research on the forces involved on these hits. They are using censors in the helmets to determine how much force makes it to the players head. There have been a few articles written about it, so I'm sure you can look it up, and when you read about the forces involved, maybe you'll realize how far off you are.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum