Remove Advertisements

So, I just saw the Hobbit 2...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

So, I just saw the Hobbit 2...

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:33 pm

...what was that?

I mean, I liked it. But what was that?
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Re: So, I just saw the Hobbit 2...

Postby Darielle » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:56 am

It was the promise of Evangeline Lily being roped into a threesome with another Elf and a Dwarf.
Darielle

Postby Arnock » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:58 am

Snake-Aes wrote:...what was that?

I mean, I liked it. But what was that?

Yeah...

I'm still not quite sure what to make of them, myself.

I did enjoy the movies (or at least I'm telling myself that I did) but it's all just so different from either the LOTR films, or the Hobbit book..

I'm starting to think, now, that Peter Jackson just has a ridiculous and over-the-top filmmaking style, but because of the sheer size of LotR, he wasn't able to really fit a lot of that in. But with the hobbit, he's stretching a single book into three films and can play with it a lot more.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 am

Arnock wrote:I'm starting to think, now, that Peter Jackson just has a ridiculous and over-the-top filmmaking style, but because of the sheer size of LotR, he wasn't able to really fit a lot of that in. But with the hobbit, he's stretching a single book into three films and can play with it a lot more.

Braindead kinda gave it away. Good thing he hasn't lost it.

I think the movie was awesome for Smaug alone. Also for the dwarves fighting. (The dwarves fighting Smaug was maybe a leeeeetle bit too much.)
Paxen

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 am

Dwarves vs Smaug made me cringe as a gamer. I was about to go up and say "Oh hell no, you don't attack a red dragon with fire damage!" :p

I think I discovered why I was so bothered. The Hobbit movies only make sense if they're detached from the rest of the setting, movies and books. As a standalone piece it's overall good.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:56 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Dwarves vs Smaug made me cringe as a gamer. I was about to go up and say "Oh hell no, you don't attack a red dragon with fire damage!" :p

I'm giving Thorin the benefit of the doubt and assume that his plan was that the massive weight of rapidly cooling gold was what was going to capture Smaug.

I mean, he even used Smaug to light the forges!
Paxen

Postby Brekkie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Gold doesn't cool rapidly enough for that to make sense. It was just a stupid, nonsensical addition because the suits wanted "MOAR 3D CGI BATTLEZ, BECAUSE $$$$!!1!1"
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:54 pm

It's still damn heavy.
Paxen

Postby Era » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 am

Disliked the battle, but loved the scene with Bilbo and Smaug. I was most worried that they'd mess up the portrayal of Smaug, but I feel like they did a great job with that at least.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 am

Era wrote:Disliked the battle, but loved the scene with Bilbo and Smaug. I was most worried that they'd mess up the portrayal of Smaug, but I feel like they did a great job with that at least.

"Sleeping nonstop for 60 years" probably does justify a bout of ADHD :p
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:35 pm

I'm starting to think, now, that Peter Jackson just has a ridiculous and over-the-top filmmaking style, but because of the sheer size of LotR, he wasn't able to really fit a lot of that in. But with the hobbit, he's stretching a single book into three films and can play with it a lot more.

It's a different Peter Jackson to the one that made the LotR series.

Consider that the entire intro - Dwarves running from Orcs, the Bear guy, horses, abandoning horses makes no damn sense and adds absolutely nothing. The movie could be like 30 minutes shorter and be exactly the same.
Darielle

Postby samsara » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 am

havn't seen the 2nd part as cinemas flooded with people , tbh. i hate people , they are loud, whispering, standing up , eating popcorn when mine is empty , you know , peoples stuff :) but i'm looking forward to see it in the shiny new 48frames imax 3d format (was it correct?)

I have no problem with movie covering a book, when i can recall thilling moments from the book in the movies, if jackson thinks some sidestories makes the movie better, why not, i like those epic movies, even if they are a bit nonrealistic, but speaking of realism in a storry where dwarfes trying to beat up a big bad angry dragon isn't.. well... that good.

At least i like a bloated move with pretty pictures , where the storrytelling is good much more then cut down, castrated movies like eragon for example, where the book have a huge potential but the movie was plain crap.. humans looked like humans, elves looked like humans, dwarfs looked like humans (ok, they were not mentioned as dwarfs in the movie) , urgals where looking like dirty humans (oh, they probably lost the horns somewhere on the set).

Sure the movie could maybe 30 mins shorter but to be honest :) i like dwarfs running away from orcs (even on battlegrounds in wow) , and horses (mlp <3), and for sure bears are great

so now that i know there are bears and horses and dwars running from orcs i may can handle "people(tm)" and will go to the cinema next week XD
samsara

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:47 am

I liked the movie...but you'll find that not only are there side stories, but some significant events were minimized (Beorn) and others heavily changed. The movie was entertaining, but it didn't improve on the book with these additions.

The love triangle was forced and awkward, legolas dancing on the heads of dwarves was pretty cheesy, and the dragon chasing the dwarves was almost comical. Some other additions were handled quite a bit better, but it's hard to argue that those particular major elements made the movie better than not having them.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Arnock » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Darielle wrote:

It's a different Peter Jackson to the one that made the LotR series.

Consider that the entire intro - Dwarves running from Orcs, the Bear guy, horses, abandoning horses makes no damn sense and adds absolutely nothing. The movie could be like 30 minutes shorter and be exactly the same.

Wait... what?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Amirya » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 am

I believe that was wishful thinking.

My understanding is that the LotR movies were pretty faithful to the books, while the Hobbit 2 was a parody.

However, as always, I must emphasize I've never read any of Tolkien's works, so I can't confirm or deny.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum