Page 3 of 3

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:24 am
by Arnock
Lows over 100???

I was under the impression that it got rather chilly at night in AZ.

Luckily, the actual temperature usually doesn't break 100 here, but the humidity usually brings the heat index well north of 110.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 am
by Jabari
Arnock wrote:Lows over 100???

I was under the impression that it got rather chilly at night in AZ.


Not in Phoenix - it stays quite hot at night here in the dead of summer. Tucson isn't nearly as bad (lots more open ground) - it'll usually get lows of 80-85 or so that time of year.

It's really nice right now, though!

(I'm a bit lucky - I have a lot of family in Flagstaff, and can escape up there for weekends during summertime *chuckle*)

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 pm
by Fridmarr
Fivelives wrote:Living where I'm at, our first 100 degree day this year was in the first week of March. Our last 100 degree day was in the week before Halloween. We came close to 100 again a couple weeks ago, hitting 92 degrees.

We had 22 days of summer where the temperature topped 120 degrees, and 7 days where the temperature topped 130 degrees.

For 3 solid months, (June, July and August) our overnight LOWS were over 100 degrees, with 4 of those nights topping 110 degrees. This place is hell on earth.


While Arizona is definitely hot and undoubtedly uncomfortable, according to the National Climatic Data Center (on the NOAA website) Arizona only had a handful of days/locations over 120F and maxed out at 123F* this year.  All occurred in the last week of June through the first week of July.

Also no day had a low above 95.

According to wikipedia, the record high ever recorded in AZ is 128 and that was back in 94 (no idea how current that data is, it is wikipedia after all).
 
Maybe you are thinking of heat indexes or something.
 
*There was actually one recorded temperature that was slightly higher (125F) however, this seems to be an error because NCDC flagged it as an error (failed gap check) and it was in March with other temperatures from that location being significantly lower before and after, not to mention the low for that day was 44 (thus the failed check).  However, all the measurements are in the raw data, even the errors, so it's there.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm
by beornus
well, AZ, even Phoenix, is the north pole compared to Camp Buehring, Kuwait, a little slice of hell on earth

I imagine a few of us in the military have spent some time there, and wished we hadn't

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:38 pm
by Amirya
No doubt, but I will always maintain Phoenix AZ is its own special little hell.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm
by fuzzygeek
Amirya wrote:No doubt, but I will always maintain Phoenix AZ is its own special little hell.


Living in Phoenix earns you bragging rights. Also the need to wear sweatshirts in 77 degree weather, when your sibs from the Bay Area are wearing shorts.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:40 pm
by Aubade
fuzzygeek wrote:
Amirya wrote:No doubt, but I will always maintain Phoenix AZ is its own special little hell.


Living in Phoenix earns you bragging rights. Also the need to wear sweatshirts in 77 degree weather, when your sibs from the Bay Area are wearing shorts.



77? My washingtonian ass is in a tanktop and basketball shorts in that weather!

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:06 pm
by Amirya
It is not uncommon for at least light coats, sweaters, or long sleeve shirts to be donned for 77 degree weather.

Flannel and layers for anything below 68.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:14 pm
by bldavis
77 is t-shirt weather for me, but not quite shorts


long sleeves dont start til the low 60s and sweater/sweatshirt layers arent until the mid 50s

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:55 pm
by fuzzygeek
I survived the Blizzard of '77. Decades of Southern California and Phoenix have thinned my blood to the consistency of acetone.

Tomorrow night's low is 34 degrees. We may have to declare a national emergency.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:09 pm
by beornus
ah yes, the Blizzard of '77, grew up in the Buffalo area I assume, from Silver Creek in Chautauqua county

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:11 pm
by Fivelives
Fridmarr wrote:
Fivelives wrote:Living where I'm at, our first 100 degree day this year was in the first week of March. Our last 100 degree day was in the week before Halloween. We came close to 100 again a couple weeks ago, hitting 92 degrees.

We had 22 days of summer where the temperature topped 120 degrees, and 7 days where the temperature topped 130 degrees.

For 3 solid months, (June, July and August) our overnight LOWS were over 100 degrees, with 4 of those nights topping 110 degrees. This place is hell on earth.


While Arizona is definitely hot and undoubtedly uncomfortable, according to the National Climatic Data Center (on the NOAA website) Arizona only had a handful of days/locations over 120F and maxed out at 123F* this year.  All occurred in the last week of June through the first week of July.

Also no day had a low above 95.

According to wikipedia, the record high ever recorded in AZ is 128 and that was back in 94 (no idea how current that data is, it is wikipedia after all).
 
Maybe you are thinking of heat indexes or something.
 
*There was actually one recorded temperature that was slightly higher (125F) however, this seems to be an error because NCDC flagged it as an error (failed gap check) and it was in March with other temperatures from that location being significantly lower before and after, not to mention the low for that day was 44 (thus the failed check).  However, all the measurements are in the raw data, even the errors, so it's there.


Fridmarr, please don't assume you know more about the weather in my town than I do. I've lived here for the better part of 27 years and I highly doubt you've even flown over us in a plane. The casinos here own both of the local weather stations (the airport is owned by one casino, and the other recording station is at the community college - who relies on their dealer school and truck driving school to stay open) and they underreport the heat. For references sake, in August of 1993, it hit 132 degrees in the shade, measured at our downtown fire department.

For reference's sake:
Image

That was the reported temperature according to weather.com, and my own weather station that I had on my front porch said 107 degrees. At 12:36 AM (in other words, around midnight) this June. No, I wasn't mis-reading the heat index as the actual temperature.

My town's "official" record is 132 degrees (for reference, Death Valley's highest recorded temperature was only 134 degrees, source: http://tinyurl.com/kg8ohy2 ), recorded in the shade across the street from the Colorado River, on August 11, 1983 (Reference: http://tinyurl.com/l68mj62 ). Needless to say they don't take the outside temperature anymore, at least not for public consumption. This year has been one of the hottest on record and my own personal weather station is where I, like most of the locals, got my weather information. As a general rule of thumb, take the "official" temperature reported and add 4-6 degrees.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 pm
by Fridmarr
You're kidding right? I mean that's kind of a strange thing to say. A person doesn't have to know shit about any town, to be able to read weather station data and determine whether (no pun intended) or not someone's claim is accurate. I didn't make up the data, go query NOAA and argue with them if you think their data is not accurate or is "casino rigged".

You do realize that screen shot proves you are wrong and NOAA is right (big surprise) though don't you? That screenshot was from 6/29, and I already noted that the last week of June and the first week of July of this year had AZ's highest temperatures. Two days in that screen shot were predicted to be 120, none over 130. Further, the low listed there for every single day is below 100, in fact the highest low in that screenshot is 91.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:47 am
by Fivelives
Fridmarr wrote:You're kidding right? I mean that's kind of a strange thing to say. A person doesn't have to know shit about any town, to be able to read weather station data and determine whether (no pun intended) or not someone's claim is accurate. I didn't make up the data, go query NOAA and argue with them if you think their data is not accurate or is "casino rigged".

You do realize that screen shot proves you are wrong and NOAA is right (big surprise) though don't you? That screenshot was from 6/29, and I already noted that the last week of June and the first week of July of this year had AZ's highest temperatures. Two days in that screen shot were predicted to be 120, none over 130. Further, the low listed there for every single day is below 100, in fact the highest low in that screenshot is 91.


I live here, you don't. I know what the damn weather is like. You can check NOAA all you want, but remember that their data relies on input from weather reporting stations, and if that is under/over reported then that's what the "official" weather says.

Incoming PM.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:04 am
by KysenMurrin
Ah, anecdata, the most reliable source.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 am
by Fivelives
KysenMurrin wrote:Ah, anecdata, the most reliable source.


When you've got unreliable data reporting from the "experts", it is indeed.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am
by KysenMurrin
We have only your anecdotal account for the fact that the data reporting is unreliable.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 am
by Fivelives
You know what? Never mind. You all obviously know more about the weather in the place I've lived for 27 years than I do. My weather station is obviously wrong, every single car in town that has an external temperature display is wrong. The casino owner who laughs and jokes about this is also obviously wrong.

I am humbled and awed by your knowledge of a place you've never been to. Please, enlighten me with your vast wisdom, oh great sages of All Things That Are Known.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:31 am
by KysenMurrin
I have claimed no knowledge whatsoever. If I had, I would need to back it up with evidence. Which is what you haven't been doing.

Look, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying that "the official data is wrong" is a big claim and needs something more than your word behind it. I didn't mean to get into an argument about this, I was just highlighting that repeatedly asserting something doesn't make a valid argument.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 am
by Fivelives
You got caught up in something that's been brewing for awhile, KysenMurrin. No harm, no foul.

And my challenge stands: come out here in the middle of summer - hell, anywhere from around the end of March to mid-September - and bring a weather station. Of course the guy who's responsible for the majority of this (hint: they named a town after him) isn't going to come out and say he's doing it on purpose. That would defeat the entire point of underreporting the temperature data. This isn't even the shadiest thing that casinos have ever done.

Fact is, this area relies entirely, 100% on tourism. In the summer, we have people who come out to boat on the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. In the winter, we have people flocking here to escape the northern climes. If people think "gee, it's hotter there than the middle-east" then they aren't as likely to come here. And I wouldn't see half as many heat stroke cases as I do every day. Oh, also, the entire place would dry up and blow away.

That lie about the weather keeps thousands of people employed in the casinos alone, not to mention the support infrastructure around it - the WalMart, apartments, RV parks and the likes. We have to contend with Las Vegas being an hour and a half away in one direction and Sedona being 3 hours away in the other direction. For boating purposes, we have to contend with Lake Havasu, about an hour away. So no, you're never going to get concrete proof from any "official" source. But ask a resident, or as I invited you to do: bring your own weather station.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:21 pm
by Aubade
Fivelives wrote:You got caught up in something that's been brewing for awhile, KysenMurrin. No harm, no foul.

And my challenge stands: come out here in the middle of summer - hell, anywhere from around the end of March to mid-September - and bring a weather station. Of course the guy who's responsible for the majority of this (hint: they named a town after him) isn't going to come out and say he's doing it on purpose. That would defeat the entire point of underreporting the temperature data. This isn't even the shadiest thing that casinos have ever done.

Fact is, this area relies entirely, 100% on tourism. In the summer, we have people who come out to boat on the Colorado River and Lake Mohave. In the winter, we have people flocking here to escape the northern climes. If people think "gee, it's hotter there than the middle-east" then they aren't as likely to come here. And I wouldn't see half as many heat stroke cases as I do every day. Oh, also, the entire place would dry up and blow away.

That lie about the weather keeps thousands of people employed in the casinos alone, not to mention the support infrastructure around it - the WalMart, apartments, RV parks and the likes. We have to contend with Las Vegas being an hour and a half away in one direction and Sedona being 3 hours away in the other direction. For boating purposes, we have to contend with Lake Havasu, about an hour away. So no, you're never going to get concrete proof from any "official" source. But ask a resident, or as I invited you to do: bring your own weather station.


That explanation makes more sense; however you cannot fault people for not accepting your word as evidence. The fact simply stands that if someone else were to make a statement, that when you went to look at evidence turned out to be different than the evidence says then you would not believe them either.

With that being said, lets quit talking about the weather in Arizona and keep talking about the weather in turkey.

Re: If you could meet an MT'er IRL, who would it be and why?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:53 pm
by fuzzygeek
Nobody gives a damn about the weather in Turkey!