LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-republicans-endorse-reparative-therapy-for-gays/

ugh

And the Republicans wonder why they keep losing the so-called "fringe" groups. What's worse is that they basically shut down a part of their own electorate to pass a platform that basically denies them as a group.

I can get our NVA passing messages that shoot down the french-speaking in Belgium, because no freaking french-speaker is ever going to vote for them, but that is dumb beyond words.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:55 am

I said it before, Log Cabin Republicans are the poster child of "Stop Hitting Yourself".

The party hates them and wishes they would just shut up. They even blocked them from having a booth at the Texas GOP Convention -- and of course, now that same convention, the party comes out as endorsing gay-conversion therapy...

Log Cabin Republicans are pretty much a text-case of battered wife syndrome. Why they stick with the GOP? I honestly have no idea.

If my party was trying to dehumanize me, I'd abandon it, regardless if the party and I had common ground on things like economic policy.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 am

See, that reminds me of my own situation. I'm fairly right-winged economically and left-winged socially, and I'm a french speaker in Flemish land (P.S. Read that, NVA? I'm in your Flanders, sitting on your land! And you'll NEVER FIND MEEEEEEEAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!). So technically, I could vote for the NVA. Practically, it also holds an economical and social agenda I could consider supporting on quite a few points.

Except. I'm clearly persona non grata - yeah I speak Dutch (part of why YOU'LL NEVER FIND ME, SUCKERS!), I'm also working since I graduated (expect for a single month), and try my freaking level best to be a law-abiding citizen, not raising a fuss that I cannot get official documents in French, because I understand the logistics of it are incredibly annoying and costly. But that doesn't matter. I was born in the wrong neighbourhood, and should thus not taint the glory of Flanders with my existence.

So NVA? I voted blue. And I'll keep voting blue. If you got a beef with me, have fun trying to find me.

Sagara

Postby Nooska » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:13 am

Bu thats the thing (the one thing where I'll tout europe as "better") - We europeans have choice. ACTUAL choice in politics.
US has "choice", you can choose between 2 things, but if you don't agree with one in general, an dthe other just has stupid, you have to choose between endorsing stupid or policy you don't agree with.
Sag, if you could choose between the NVA and the "opposite" (Leftish economical policy and rightwing social policy, neutral on frenchspeaking) - what would you choose? policy you don't agree with, or the one that doesn't like you personally?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Ironshield » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 am

But this is ALWAYS the problem in a democracy, you will never find a party you agree with 100% even if there were 100 viable options, unless you start it yourself, maybe. Now it appears a LOT more dramatic a difference when it comes to things like gay rights in the US (especially) because there is a pretty emphatic line drawn there. But most things are on a sliding scale of grays. So on the surface you would think the Republicans would be much better off just STFUing about these kinds of things, but the flip side of the coin is that they probably think there are more voters who might like Democrat policies but just hate the darn gays so darn much they'll put up with Republican policies to cling onto their bigotry.
Ironshield

Postby Passionario » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:42 am

Nooska wrote:Bu thats the thing (the one thing where I'll tout europe as "better") - We europeans have choice. ACTUAL choice in politics.
US has "choice", you can choose between 2 things, but if you don't agree with one in general, an dthe other just has stupid, you have to choose between endorsing stupid or policy you don't agree with.

And then you have the Russian system, where no matter what you choose, Putin wins.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Nooska » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 am

Passionario wrote:
Nooska wrote:Bu thats the thing (the one thing where I'll tout europe as "better") - We europeans have choice. ACTUAL choice in politics.

And then you have the Russian system, where no matter what you choose, Putin wins.

On the upside Putin turns 62 this year - death will win over putin at some point ;)
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Sagara » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:41 am

Nooska wrote:On the upside Putin turns 62 this year - death will win over putin at some point ;)

Guys, this is the LGBT discussions, let's push politics somewhere else (I'll answer to you there Noos')

But just for the hell of it, are you SO sure?

Sagara

Postby Passionario » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Sagara wrote:
Nooska wrote:On the upside Putin turns 62 this year - death will win over putin at some point ;)

Guys, this is the LGBT discussions, let's push politics somewhere else (I'll answer to you there Noos')

Putin is a threat to LGBT rights:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -turn.html
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sagara » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Never gonna deny that - it's more that we were steadily going off-track and it was sensible to not mix things up (again) with Politics.

At this rate, I'm really wondering if there are any place safe enough for non-hetero sexualities. Even the vaunted "progressive" Western World seems mired in bigotry and prejudice, even when the law itself tries to oppose it. And well, I've got experience enough to realize that something as innocuous as asexuality isn't easily taken seriously even here.

I guess the best we can hope is to raise the next generations to accept and respect better than we ever could.

Sagara

Postby Nooska » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:41 am

Well there are a few countries I would consider safe (apart from the 'random' extremist) for non heterosexuals (but still sexuals).

I agree asexuality isn't something that gets taken seriously (yet - hopefully), even here in the nordic countries, but I suppose thats because its easier to say "okay, you are sexually attracted to something else than me" than to accept "okay you are NOT sexually attracted to anyone" - it is so fundamentally different from the majority, that the majority of the majority just don't understand it. That being said, I think asexuals will have an easier time everuwhere, once it is undertsood what asexuality is, than those of a differing "persuasion" than heterosexuals.
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Amirya » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 am

My experience with others dealing with asexuality seems to fall into 3 categories:

1 - Assuming that asexual is the same as no gender. "You're not asexual, you're a (wo)man!"
2 - "You just haven't met the right person yet. Once you do, you'll understand it." Same category as parents vs child-free ("It's different once you have your own children.")
3 - Understanding what exactly it entails. This is a huge minority, typically understood only by other asexuals.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:35 am

I'm of a mind that's a learned concept, but actually a harder one to grasp than homosexuality. It's easily conceivable to be attracted to something unusual (another gender, another species, even non-sapient things). But the absence of attraction just feels odd. And we're not helped that most representation of people not interested in sexuality are either people dangerously laser-focused on something (looking at you, Kira), or broken bird-types that refuse sexuality (and romance) into their lives. Both assumptions being dangerously false.

And Nooska, I'm honestly more worried about latent discrimination against asexuals, if only because asexuality doesn't imply a lack of romantic desire (and GOOD LUCK getting that through someone's head AND getting in a serious romance). Add to that it's ten times easier to believe an asexual is lying and trying not to hurt your feelings, and add to THAT it's a completely different paradigm of life, even more so than for an "alternate" sexual, it's nigh impossible to conceptualize.

So while I'm deadly worried of the violence that the LGBT community can suffer by being looked at as the "opposite number" in aversion, I'm also worried that in the middle, the "impossible third option" gets ignored as an utter impossibility and gets trampled in ignorance.

Sagara

Postby Nooska » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:14 am

Just thinking aloud here.. should we start putting an A in there? LGBTA networks for instance?
Main Characters:

Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum