LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/c ... iberal-lie
"There has never been a state in this country that has ever banned gay marriage," Medved said during a panel titled "Can Libertarians and Social Conservatives Ever Get Along?" after another panelist referenced historical discrimination against LGBT couples. "That is a liberal lie."
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:47 pm

A bit of interesting info with regards to Russian gay laws. Neither Putin or his party where the ones to propose the current propaganda law, rather it was his opposition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelena_Mizulina

She's the one that wrote the law...read her wiki page and weep.
Io.Draco

Postby Amirya » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm ok with her idea of free abortion for rape or medical reasons, and billed to the woman for other reasons. I'm not ok with the fining of a woman who refuses the waiting period, since I've never known a woman who had an abortion get up in the morning, take a shower, drink her coffee, "man, today is a fine day for an abortion! Let's totally make it a day trip and have lunch afterwards."

I'm not clear on her minimum sum of child support thing - is this where the parent has to pony up, regardless of job or not? Or where the government is paying the stipend (y'know, to help encourage more Russians to be born), regardless of job status of the parents?

I'm also not overly bothered by the idea of multigenerational homes, but then, I also believe the Western idea of kids moving away and not helping out parents as they get older is somewhat selfish.

Rest of it? Wow.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:38 am

Io.Draco wrote:A bit of interesting info with regards to Russian gay laws. Neither Putin or his party where the ones to propose the current propaganda law, rather it was his opposition.

Just Russia is not Putin's opposition. They've dabbled with that stance at some point, but all anti-Kremlin elements have been purged from the party by 2013 and they've been voting in lockstep with United Russia ever since.
Amirya wrote:I'm also not overly bothered by the idea of multigenerational homes, but then, I also believe the Western idea of kids moving away and not helping out parents as they get older is somewhat selfish.

That's because you're a reasonable sane person and not a member of the current Duma. The idea of multigenerational homes becomes much less pleasant once you make them mandatory.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 am

Just Russia is not Putin's opposition. They've dabbled with that stance at some point, but all anti-Kremlin elements have been purged from the party by 2013 and they've been voting in lockstep with United Russia ever since.

Oh ok. Still it seems to me that Putin's keeping the crazies contained from the Duma, or at least trying to.
Io.Draco

Postby Passionario » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 am

Io.Draco wrote:Oh ok. Still it seems to me that Putin's keeping the crazies contained from the Duma, or at least trying to.

That's the intended effect, yes. The idea that "the Tsar is benevolent, but his boyars (nobles) are evil" has been around in Russia for centuries, and Putin's savvy enough to cultivate it.

The deputies are all too happy to play their part. For instance, the infamous Zhirinovsky built his entire political career around being the designated crazy extremist clown that makes the president (be it Yeltsin, Putin or Medvedev) seem like a sane and moderate individual in comparison.
Passionario

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 am

So it's just a role and nothing more then that?
Io.Draco

Postby Passionario » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:16 am

Pretty much. Not matter how extravagant their rhetorics are, when it comes to serious business and matters of actual policy, all members of Duma and the Federation of Council will vote exactly as Putin wants them to. (Case in point: Crimean annexation).

As for those who are not content with playing the part and are really opposed to Putin's regime (such as Alexei Navalny) - they simply don't make it to the halls of power.
Passionario

Postby Io.Draco » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:01 pm

I should have specified. Is Putin's moderation just a role he plays while he is in fact just as crazy and extremist as they appear to be?
Io.Draco

Postby Passionario » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 am

I'm no psychiatrist, but I'd say that he is just as crazy, but in a different way. It appears that he bought into his own personality cult.
Passionario

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:12 am

something about fighting bears and riding horses while shirtless

(which is totally not gay, and instead is pretty manly *wink wink*)
---
Klaudandus

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:25 am

Passionario wrote:I'm no psychiatrist, but I'd say that he is just as crazy, but in a different way. It appears that he bought into his own personality cult.

If one is going to have a personality cult as he has then he better buy into it, at least appear that he does. Also if he is surrounded by yes men that do his every bidding, well one can easily imagine how that would go.

I'd say a bit of narcissism is required for any great leader.
Io.Draco

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 pm

We seem to have strayed from LGBT rights to politics... a fine line to be sure, but mind keeping things on track?

In regards to the primary thread topic... I was trying to find something relevant in the news, but the most recent story I've seen is the Mozilla CEO that resigned after 11 days (due to former donations supporting prop 8 coming to light and the LGBT community coming down hard on him.)

On the one hand, he did make anti-LGBT donations...on the other hand... it was ~6 years ago and many things have changed since then (to include the president's views on the subject).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/0 ... 94761.html
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:36 pm

Skye1013 wrote:We seem to have strayed from LGBT rights to politics... a fine line to be sure, but mind keeping things on track?

In regards to the primary thread topic... I was trying to find something relevant in the news, but the most recent story I've seen is the Mozilla CEO that resigned after 11 days (due to former donations supporting prop 8 coming to light and the LGBT community coming down hard on him.)

On the one hand, he did make anti-LGBT donations...on the other hand... it was ~6 years ago and many things have changed since then (to include the president's views on the subject).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/0 ... 94761.html

Yeah, I think that was an overreaction and not really needed.

Here's an interesting blog on it: http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/04/ ... y-clinton/
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:08 am

Not so much rights, but recognition.

City Hall plaza in Copenhagen is being divided by the building of a new metrostation (I believe thats teh cause at least, hasn't been entirely specific). By law the segregated part of the plaza now has to have a new name (as 2 unconnected roads or plazas cannot have the same name within the same postcode).

The name chose?
"Rainbow plaza" (Regnbuepladsen) - which has already had some older, established conservative companies up in arms - they claim it is because they are losing their prestigious address (City hall plaza, "Rådhuspladsen"), but have had some rather, unfortunate, remarks if that was tehe only case (especially when confronted with the fact that law mandates a change of name, so they couldn't keep their streetaddress anyway)

Though rather toothless, thats the extent of the discussion in denmark currently - at least discussion that I get made aware of without being on the "inside" of any networks,and not being all that socaible outside my own small(ish) circdle of friends and aquaintances.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum