Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Kal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Point taken. How about some good news to clear the air?

"Gay Brisbane man Ali Choudhry given temporary halt on deportation as tribunal hears case"
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-07/petition-opposing-gay-mans-deportation-garners-120000-signatures/5188784

Saw this in my FB feed from George Takei.

P.S. Are they not such a cute couple?
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Kal wrote:Point taken. How about some good news to clear the air?

"Gay Brisbane man Ali Choudhry given temporary halt on deportation as tribunal hears case"
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-07/petition-opposing-gay-mans-deportation-garners-120000-signatures/5188784

Saw this in my FB feed from George Takei.

P.S. Are they not such a cute couple?

Ali's a nice guy and a good WoW player. I raided Ice Crown with him a few times when Wrath was all the rage.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/2446266 ... -for-sochi

Hey dumbass italian coot, how bout fuck you instead.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:47 am

http://www.kmsstv.com/news/fairness-ordinance-stays

But none were quite as bold as Pamela Raintree, a transgender woman. Raintree called out the Bible-quoting councilman, daring him to stone her to death.

"Leviticus 20:13 states, 'If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, they shall surely put him to death,'" Raintree began. "I brought the first stone, Mr. Webb, in case that your Bible talk isn't just a smoke screen for personal prejudices."

Webb withdrew his repeal measure just minutes later, without calling for a vote.

OH SNAP.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:44 am

^That is just beyond awesome.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 am

Not to be outdone by Republicans and Russians, the UK enters the idiocy parade:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-25793358
Koatanga

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:32 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 am

The wording's general enough ("sex or gender") that it seems like the bill would protect discrimination against women, too, which I'm pretty sure would contradict existing laws.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Koatanga » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Where would the federal government fall in this? Is it atheistic (separation of church and state) or agnostic? I imagine if the argument was made that the separation means the Fed is atheistic, it could withhold services to anyone of any religion, such as in the matters of farm subsidies and disaster relief.
Koatanga

Postby Kal » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Separation of church and state is secularism, not atheism. You can only have true religious freedom under a secular government. Promotion of any religion, or of non-religion, is not secularism.

Gov. Brownback's problem is that his "religious liberty" is not protected by the Constitution. He and all his religious friends are free to not believe gay marriage is moral, but they are not free to discriminate against it.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Amirya » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Am I wrong for getting the feeling that this is backlash against the lesbian couple who had children conceived with the help of a man from Craigslist, who is now being sued by the State for child support when all three parties (both mothers and the donor) agreed he was not a parent?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:49 pm

Amirya wrote:Am I wrong for getting the feeling that this is backlash against the lesbian couple who had children conceived with the help of a man from Craigslist, who is now being sued by the State for child support when all three parties (both mothers and the donor) agreed he was not a parent?

Nope. It smells of a giant "FUCK YOU"
---
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:53 pm

That's what I thought.

And while I do believe that those three should have investigated the legality of that sort of donation, I also understand that both mothers are supporting the donor's efforts to get that dismissed/appealed - I believe the partner of the biological mother is wanting the State to go after her for the child support, instead of the donor.

Anyways. Kansas. Ya'll need a big ol' tornado to drop you on the Wicked Witch. No ruby slippers needed.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Kal wrote:Separation of church and state is secularism, not atheism. You can only have true religious freedom under a secular government. Promotion of any religion, or of non-religion, is not secularism.

Gov. Brownback's problem is that his "religious liberty" is not protected by the Constitution. He and all his religious friends are free to not believe gay marriage is moral, but they are not free to discriminate against it.

Strictly going by constitutionality, Brownback is guaranteed the freedom to practice his religion, and I don't recall any amendment preventing discrimination on the basis of sexual preference. Gender yes; preference, no.
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum