Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

Maybe it's part of the mentality of tribalism... which I posted on the politics thread.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 am

Koatanga wrote:I'm sympathetic to the Boy Scouts. While they may want to do the right thing, they are going to get a lot of grief from homophobes who will use their children to advance their agenda.

My sympathy went right out the window for them when it was revealed that they have been keeping a "secret list" and "covering up" for Scout Masters who did terrible terrible things to children for years. My sympathy for them is even less than what I might have at this point for the Catholic Church.

They won't care if their boy is a couple of badges away from Eagle scout if a gay kid joins the troup. They'll have images of gang rapes out in the woods and yank their kid out so fast heads will spin. Even worse if it's an adult member.

If they don't have the ability to respect another human being with a different lifestyle than their own, they really are violating the Boy Scout Law.

Boy Scout Law

A Scout is:
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

So much for being Loyal (to those who would come out as gay who were previous scouts), friendly, courteous, and kind right?

Eventually there will be some kind of incident involving a gay person, either as perpetrator, victim, or frame-job, and it'll make headlines all over.

Because not allowing gay people has proved to be a smashing success at keeping molestation from happing in Scout Troops.

At the same time, they are being hammered for their stance on gay members.

They have no possibility of winning this either way.

When you paint yourself into a corner, and push yourself as a "Conservative" Organization, and then cover up gross negligence that led to molestation, it's bound to happen.
Shoju

Postby Passionario » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:32 am

Meanwhile, Russian parliament has passed in the first reading a bill banning "gay propaganda" on the federal level.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Levantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 am

Shoju wrote:
Koatanga wrote:At the same time, they are being hammered for their stance on gay members.

They have no possibility of winning this either way.

When you paint yourself into a corner, and push yourself as a "Conservative" Organization, and then cover up gross negligence that led to molestation, it's bound to happen.

Yup. This situation is entirely self created. Absolutely zero sympathy for the Scouts, they brought everything that has come and will come on themselves.
Levantine

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am

Passionario wrote:Meanwhile, Russian parliament has passed in the first reading a bill banning "gay propaganda" on the federal level.

And putting a dead whistleblower on trial...

Why does that sound familiar...
Oh yeah...

Though this kinda is more for the politics thread...
Last edited by Klaudandus on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:52 am

Shoju wrote:If they don't have the ability to respect another human being with a different lifestyle than their own, they really are violating the Boy Scout Law.

The kids will never get a say in the matter. Homophobic Dad will yank his kid out of the scouts so fast it'll make your head spin.

Dad currently has plausible deniability - he can pretend molestations don't exist. But if there's one of them gays involved his kid could catch gay, as far as Homophobic Dad is concerned.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Shoju wrote:If they don't have the ability to respect another human being with a different lifestyle than their own, they really are violating the Boy Scout Law.

The kids will never get a say in the matter. Homophobic Dad will yank his kid out of the scouts so fast it'll make your head spin.

Dad currently has plausible deniability - he can pretend molestations don't exist. But if there's one of them gays involved his kid could catch gay, as far as Homophobic Dad is concerned.

Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am

Koatanga wrote:

Dad's Plausible Deniability went out the window in 2011 and 2012. And if Homophobic dad is afraid of "catching gay" there's no cure for his stupidity.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:31 pm

Shoju wrote:Dad's Plausible Deniability went out the window in 2011 and 2012. And if Homophobic dad is afraid of "catching gay" there's no cure for his stupidity.

If he's homophobic, the stupidity is implied. I'm merely pointing out the fact that your average nominally Christian American dad is not going to want to send his son to camp with an openly gay troop leader.

I don't think the average American, or person in general, understands that while pedophiles may be attracted to youths of the same sex, they are pedophiles, not homosexuals. Homosexuals are no more interested in kids of the same sex than heterosexuals are in kids of the opposite sex.

For the average, the math is simply "don't put people who are sexually attracted to males alone in the woods with with male children".
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Koatanga wrote:For the average, the math is simply "don't put people who are sexually attracted to males alone in the woods with with male children".

They just need their programming tweaked a little... it should be "don't put people who are sexually attracted to CHILDREN alone in the woods with children."

And yes, I'm sure YOU know that... but I wish there was an easy way to allow people to see their own stupidity.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
Koatanga wrote:For the average, the math is simply "don't put people who are sexually attracted to males alone in the woods with with male children".

They just need their programming tweaked a little... it should be "don't put people who are sexually attracted to CHILDREN alone in the woods with children."

And yes, I'm sure YOU know that... but I wish there was an easy way to allow people to see their own stupidity.

Sadly, when people hear about a man molesting a young boy, they assume the man is gay, because he went after someone of the same sex. They don't understand it's another category of sexuality altogether.

Take your classic priest-and-altar-boy story that most people have heard about. The priest messes around with another male but doesn't date women. Conclusion: He's gay.

Public perception is a difficult thing to fight.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:59 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:09 pm

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220
UK MPs have voted in favour of same-sex marriage 400 votes to 175.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum