Page 15 of 41

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 am
by katraya
Shoju wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--maryland-politician-out-of-line-for-attacking-brendon-ayanbadejo-s-support-of-gay-marriage.html

1.) I think it's awesome that an NFL player, a sport normally known for it's machismo, not its sensitivity, supports gay marriage.

2.) I think it's incredibly sad that the politician is such a freaking wanker about wanting the owner to tell his player to STFU


It's hilarious that the politician seems to think there are no gay Ravens fans. We almost always go to the gay bar by our house to watch the games because there is a good sized crowd without any of the frat boy douchebag types.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 am
by Nikachelle
Didn't Maryland already legalize gay marriage anyway? Why would they assume that the state as a whole does not support gay marriage...

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:52 am
by Shoju
Nikachelle wrote:Didn't Maryland already legalize gay marriage anyway? Why would they assume that the state as a whole does not support gay marriage...



Because a group of idiots have challenged it, and have a repeal on the ballot for November.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 am
by Nikachelle
Sigh.

Think I'll storm into town wearing rainbow everything then.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am
by Shoju
In a funny sort of events, I recently saw one of those "Marriage equality" pictures on Facebook, and shared it. There was part of me that hoped that it would cause my family to have heart attacks, and argue with me about it.

Turns out, my extended family just unfriended me. I don't know what emotion was more dominant in my reaction.

Humor, that my stance on gay marriage would be such a problem that it would cause family to unfriend me on facebook

Or

Sadness, that my stance on gay marriage would be such a problem that it would cause my family to unfriend me on facebook

I don't care if I'm friends with people on facebook. I've been hemorrhaging "friends" from my ultra conservative extended family (cousins, uncles, etc..) and "friends" (people I graduated with) for a month or so now. Before too long, I will just be down to my friends that I find funny, my wife, son, and George Takei.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:05 am
by Klaudandus
Sometimes, less is more.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 am
by Flex
Nikachelle wrote:Sigh.

Think I'll storm into town wearing rainbow everything then.


Just don't insult Cal or Crabs or else you'll really get it.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 am
by Nikachelle
Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Sigh.

Think I'll storm into town wearing rainbow everything then.


Just don't insult Cal or Crabs or else you'll really get it.

I don't even know what those are.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:17 am
by Flex

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:28 pm
by Klaudandus
Kluwe reminds everyone why he's one of the coolest football players of the last few years
http://deadspin.com/5941348/they-wont-m ... porting-it

X-posted from the sports thread

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:01 pm
by Lieris
Shoju wrote:Before too long, I will just be down to my friends that I find funny, my wife, son, and George Takei.


Sounds like good company to me! :) I think you will be happier when that eventually happens.

I think a lot of us can sympathise with you on this as having family members who have no idea how to behave on Facebook isn't uncommon. It's one of the reasons I don't use it.

That and the new and creative ways my cousins manage to butcher the French language.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:08 pm
by Klaudandus
I agree. Me and the rest of the family are not really on speaking terms, and I really don't miss it -- specially since I got a nutjob baptist pastor in the family tree who likes to go all "Bomb Iran to trigger the 2nd coming of Christ" and "Homosexuality caused 9/11", and his congregation eat that shit up.

My poor zeyde is spinning in his grave...

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm
by Melathys


You have me totally jonesing for some Chesapeake bay blackened crab cakes right now.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 pm
by Klaudandus

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 pm
by Aubade
I actually had to unfriend someone on facebook today.

Who I thought was a relatively level-headed smart person went on an anti-gay rant on Facebook, and was talking about how if Obama get's re-elected we're gonna have the apocalypse.


And she was serious =[

People make me sad for the state of this world sometimes.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:14 pm
by Klaudandus
bummer

i check facebook like once a week... i normally miss a bunch of posts, and i don't think i've seen any anti-gay posts, but every now and then I get my facebook flooded with those Jesus/God is Great posts and whatnot, which I normally counter with some Dawkins/Hitchens/Carlin... which they do take offense to every now and then... *facedesk*

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm
by Skye1013
Had a family-friend post one of those "marriage is between a man and a woman" pictures. I simply commented with :(.

I don't know if he truly believes that, or was just passing along something that sounded good in his head, but I did get an apology from him...

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 pm
by Skye1013
Part of what spawned this whole thread might be getting put to rest.

http://www.sdgln.com/news/2012/09/18/ch ... tment-gays

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am
by Skye1013
Oh, this is rich.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/lawm ... dren240812

My favorite part is:
Earlier this year Dwyer supported a ballot measure to strip lawmakers of their office when found guilty of serious crimes which Maryland voters will decide on in November.

If Dwyer is found to have committed an offense and the ballot initiative is successful he may find himself out of office under the law.


Edit: Let it be known that I am glad Karma might be trying to teach him a lesson, but not glad that innocent children had to be injured in the process.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:53 am
by Fridmarr
Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:38 am
by Paxen
Fridmarr wrote:Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.


Sex ed.?

Anyway, I think unfriending people on facebook simply because you disagree with their views is a bit shortsighted. I enjoy watching posts from people I disagree with, even if I think they're retarded. Let's me know I'm not stuck in the internet echo chamber.

Of course, outright anti-gay bashing is pretty rare in these parts. Even those who don't like it usually keep quiet about it.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:06 am
by Fridmarr
Paxen wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Afraid that homosexuality would be taught in schools... What does that even mean? Did I miss the class where heterosexuality was taught because I think I would remember that one.


Sex ed.?

Anyway, I think unfriending people on facebook simply because you disagree with their views is a bit shortsighted. I enjoy watching posts from people I disagree with, even if I think they're retarded. Let's me know I'm not stuck in the internet echo chamber.

Of course, outright anti-gay bashing is pretty rare in these parts. Even those who don't like it usually keep quiet about it.


Well sex ed is hardly specific to heterosexuals.

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am
by Nikachelle
At what age do they start sex ed in the States?

(And one could argue that any form of birth control is considered heterosexual, leaving aside condoms and whatnot for oral sex.)

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 am
by Nikachelle
At what age do they start sex ed in the States? I think we started in grade 5 here in Canada.

(And one could argue that any form of birth control is considered heterosexual, leaving aside condoms and whatnot for oral sex.)

Re: LGBT rights discussion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 am
by Fridmarr
I don't know that it's standard. They start with some topics pretty early. Sure the topic of birth control might be more specific, but as a whole sex ed applies fairly universally.