Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 am

Treck wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Civil unions don't have the same rights/privileges as married couples, for one.

Over here its pretty much exactly the same thing.
I think the term civil union was even removed as they realized there was in essence no difference at all and calling it two different things didnt make sense.
People who have registered a partnership in another country, is officially counted as if they were married by all laws and regulation in sweden.

But "pretty much" is not "exactly" the same thing (although you've said in your country it is now the same thing). No one wants to feel like a second class citizen.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:28 am

Passionario wrote:But I wasn't talking about that. I was simply asking for some basic courtesy towards fellow Maintankadin posters. Is it really too much to ask for?

I read your last post but decided to leave it unanswered as I was having a hard time figuring out how to phrase myself but I felt like I atleast wanted to give you my view on it.

I agree that maintankadin is a very outstandingly civil forum on the internet for imo.
there's always some topic that go off topic ofc, keeping race/sex/orientation/religion out of a topic where it's irrelevant is usually followed.
But here it is not irrelevant, and I do not discriminate, any religion that sets aside facts and knowledge for superstition (Christianity, scientology and nordic/Greek mythology alike) are setting the world back.
The comment could be made that religion is to atleast a very big part a reason for this discussion in the first place, as they are usually the strongest and loudest opponents to this subject, and without .ao.much ignorance and medieval way of thinking ALL of us could be considered equal.
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 am

Treck wrote: any religion that sets aside facts and knowledge for superstition (Christianity, scientology and nordic/Greek mythology alike) are setting the world back.

This was the absolute best way to say it. And I agree wholeheartedly.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 am

One of the worst sides of this marriage issue is how it treats transgendered people. In most countries where you are able to legally change your gender, doing so causes any existing marriage to be null and void. In the UK, they've addressed this by giving couples the ability to create a civil partnership to replace the marriage on the same day.

The situation this creates is one where a couple, between one day and the next, can go from being happily and legally married, to not only having the marriage nullified but also now finding it is illegal for them to be married. Just because one of them had the letter on their passport changed between M and F.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby theckhd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Treck wrote: any religion that sets aside facts and knowledge for superstition (Christianity, scientology and nordic/Greek mythology alike) are setting the world back.

This was the absolute best way to say it. And I agree wholeheartedly.

It seems odd to include Greek mythology in that list. I'm unaware of any examples where Greek mythology forbade the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

Keep in mind that many of these myths were created to explain things that humans didn't and couldn't understand at the time. We didn't have a clear idea how planets and orbits worked, so we made up gods that flew through the sky carrying the sun and moon. They were "gap fillers," as it were. The myths themselves aren't to blame for suppressing scientific advancement, it's the people who use those myths to try and prevent it.

Christianity is certainly guilty of that over the course of history, but I'm not aware of cases where Scientology or Nordic mythology did so. At best, you could say that the mere presence of those myths leads fewer people to try and study the science behind the effects the myths "explain," but I don't think that's a terribly significant effect.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sagara » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:45 am

Shorthand: don't blame Christianity for people narrowing their worldview. Blame the people, and don't let them hide behind religion.
Then, love and tolerate them, as long as they love and tolerate you as an equal.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby theckhd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 am

Sagara wrote:Shorthand: don't blame Christianity for people narrowing their worldview. Blame the people, and don't let them hide behind religion.
Then, love and tolerate them, as long as they love and tolerate you as an equal.

More to the point, out of the ones listed only Christianity and Scientology have a current hierarchical structure that has the ability to make decrees about scientific topics. It's still the people at fault of course - the bishops, cardinals, popes, etc. that decide "our religion feels that X is bad."

But the point I was making is that I'm unaware of any point where Greek myths were used to similarly justify interference with scientific research or topics. "Zeus says abortion is evil," for example. Although who knows, maybe they were used for such justifications when the religions were current. I doubt it though, simply because my understanding is that neither Greek nor Nordic mythology had a central organization dictating theology. You need a strong central organization (like Catholocism, for example) to be able to pull that off.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am

Well the topic currently being discussed isn't of a scientific nature anyhow. That said Christianity and science aren't at odds nearly as much as people seem to believe.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

theckhd wrote:It seems odd to include Greek mythology in that list. I'm unaware of any examples where Greek mythology forbade the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

Keep in mind that many of these myths were created to explain things that humans didn't and couldn't understand at the time. We didn't have a clear idea how planets and orbits worked, so we made up gods that flew through the sky carrying the sun and moon. They were "gap fillers," as it were. The myths themselves aren't to blame for suppressing scientific advancement, it's the people who use those myths to try and prevent it.

Christianity is certainly guilty of that over the course of history, but I'm not aware of cases where Scientology or Nordic mythology did so. At best, you could say that the mere presence of those myths leads fewer people to try and study the science behind the effects the myths "explain," but I don't think that's a terribly significant effect.

Greek mythology was very interested in the persuit of knowledge indeed, and they used gap fillers since they didnt have an explanation at the time, and today we have explanations for a lot of things, people simply choose to ignore instead, or just God as an ever receding gap of knowledge (NDT quote).
But I really only included them as well as I look at them the same way as I do with "modern" religions, they make just as much sense and are just as absurd at explaining the world as the others, thats really all there is to it.
And nordic/greek mythology are obviously not the problem as they are not setting the world back, as they are pretty much dead.

Fridmarr wrote:Well the topic currently being discussed isn't of a scientific nature anyhow. That said Christianity and science aren't at odds nearly as much as people seem to believe.

I would argue that it is atleast a little it related.
Religion have many times claimed they "know" for sure some things.
Like they knew how the earth was flat, or the sun orbits the earth.
Now people believe the earth is 6000years old and that gays having sex will cause the apocalypse.
If they claim to know things that are proved to be bullshit, then why don’t question more of the things they “know”?
Like I said in an earlier post, anyone who choose religion (you cant help if you are brought up religious) simply cant do that without choosing to ignore facts and knowledge to some degree, and this makes me seriously question any scientist who call themselves religious.
Where does it end, what do you choose to accept as true and not?
But yes, the topic isn’t really about how scientific religion is, but if you claim to have all the answers but then change/modernize a religion, then what truth does it hold?
Treck

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 am

Treck wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Well the topic currently being discussed isn't of a scientific nature anyhow. That said Christianity and science aren't at odds nearly as much as people seem to believe.

I would argue that it is atleast a little it related.
Religion have many times claimed they "know" for sure some things.
Like they knew how the earth was flat, or the sun orbits the earth.
Now people believe the earth is 6000years old and that gays having sex will cause the apocalypse.
If they claim to know things that are proved to be bullshit, then why don’t question more of the things they “know”?
Like I said in an earlier post, anyone who choose religion (you cant help if you are brought up religious) simply cant do that without choosing to ignore facts and knowledge to some degree, and this makes me seriously question any scientist who call themselves religious.
Where does it end, what do you choose to accept as true and not?
But yes, the topic isn’t really about how scientific religion is, but if you claim to have all the answers but then change/modernize a religion, then what truth does it hold?

This is unquestionably one of the most ignorant things I've read on these forums.

Religions are generally philosophical in nature, of course people may take those philosophies and draw scientific conclusions from them, but that is not obligatory.

If you choose to allow the poorest examples to define what religion is and further what that must mean about the people who follow them, then you are literally that which you claim to loathe.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Passionario » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:31 am

Treck wrote:But here it is not irrelevant, and I do not discriminate, any religion that sets aside facts and knowledge for superstition (Christianity, scientology and nordic/Greek mythology alike) are setting the world back.
The comment could be made that religion is to atleast a very big part a reason for this discussion in the first place, as they are usually the strongest and loudest opponents to this subject, and without .ao.much ignorance and medieval way of thinking ALL of us could be considered equal.

:shock:

First, I hope that either I'm seriously misinterpreting your post or there's something lost in translation here... because as far as bullshit justifications for bigotry go, "they are setting the world back" ranks somewhere between "they are stealing our jobs" and "they are polluting the gene pool".

Second, despite what some fundamentalist idiots may say, they don't speak for all Christians, much less all people who believe in God. Would you act like an asshole towards Lev, Skye and other LGBT posters just because prison rapists and NAMBLA activists exist? No? Then why do you think that it's OK to lump me and other theists together with Westboro Baptists and other militant jerks?

Personally, if I had to pick the greatest reactionary force blocking scientific progress, I'd have to go with "scientists of the previous generation".

Treck wrote:Religion have many times claimed they "know" for sure some things.
Like they knew how the earth was flat

Just for the record, that particular myth stems from an anti-clerical propaganda pamphlet, which had about as much in common with reality as The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 pm

The problem lies within the popular blanket statement, "I don't have any problems with you as an individual, but I do not condone your lifestyle."

Why does the speaker not condone the lifestyle? What opinions have they, themselves, formed about said lifestyle? In many cases, the answer is "none." They are simply copying and pasting words from others, often from decades or centuries ago.

In the modern day example, we have gay rights. Gays are really no different than women or blacks or any other group that has struggled with inequality. In this case, there is heavy rallying against gay rights from religion, which has absolutely no place in human rights. In this case, religion is holding society back as a whole because of its outdated, biased views.
Invisusira

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:03 pm

But it's not religion it's the people. There are also lots of religious people who are in favor of gay marriage both legally and within their church's frameworks. The problem with lumping it all under "religion" is the exact same problem that you get when you lump something under race. You could walk through our prisons and see that a vast majority of our prisoners are minorities and then suggest that minorites are criminals and holding us back. Of course doing so is incredibly ignorant.

Religious leaders may decree that their religion's concept of marriage doesn't apply to homosexuals, but that's entirely different than saying that homosexuals shouldn't have access to the same legal standing that heterosexual couples do. People that can't make that seperation are the problem, not the religion.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm

I apologize if this isn't cogent or as thoughtful as many of the posters here, but here goes.

One personal rub is when people call homosexuality a lifestyle. I haven't met a homosexual human being that said they've chosen to be so. They've always said its been hard wired that way. Sure, they might have struggled to suppress it from societal/family pressures, but you can't deny what you are.

I'm unequivocally not satisfied with the state of human rights at the moment and the progress of change, though, I do realize that we live in a much better world than say 25, 50, or 100 years ago. I am grateful for that yet realize that I have to pick up where the previous generation left off and try to push that sisyphean-like rock up the hill. Will I see equal rights across our earth before I die? Probably not. Will I try to make this world a speck better than when I came into it? A yes with every fiber of my soul.

Even having this discourse points to a sense of hope that it will change for the better. The fact that the needle has even moved to "love the person, hate the sin" instead of "grab the noose/tar & feathers/shotgun" is an improvement. I still think it's fucking hogwash of an argument/opinion but we are still moving (albeit slowly) forward.

I grew up with christian theology and have come to readily acknowledge that it doesn't solve every problem our current world faces and it has many limitations in the society we live in. However, I hold near and dear some fundamental principles of christianity like loving thy neighbor, giving service to those in need, placing faith in something greater than yourself. A wise person will quickly point out that these just aren't christian principles and to that I will say, "Yep, they're life's principles or so I think they should be."
Not granting equal rights across the board is oppression in some degree. I'm not just talking about legal equality as the legal system can't always protect you from the bigotry or prejudice you might face on a daily basis.

I'm an eternal optimist and I believe in the power of the human spirit, love of man and love for another. There are rational and irrational actors on both sides of each argument. It's up to us to use our reason, logic, and knowledge to find the common ground. It's easy for the loud vocal minority on each side to be heard but that doesn't have to be the end of the discussion. I know I've found it. I pray to my god, hope for better things to come, and realize I have to play my part in bringing about a better world.

I truly believe we'll be in a better spot tomorrow than we were today. That doesn't mean we can rest. We still have to wake up each day and defend those that can't fight, speak for those that are silenced, and pick up those that can't walk.

So with that, I've probably used my maintankadin space quota for the week.
Cogglamp

Postby Treck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Fridmarr wrote:This is unquestionably one of the most ignorant things I've read on these forums.
Religions are generally philosophical in nature, of course people may take those philosophies and draw scientific conclusions from them, but that is not obligatory.
If you choose to allow the poorest examples to define what religion is and further what that must mean about the people who follow them, then you are literally that which you claim to loathe.

As in asking yourself what the purpose of life is? Why we are here? Whats the point of everything?
You don’t have to be religious to ask yourself that, and that is certainly not all that religion is either, sure for some it is nothing more than that, for some it is less, and for some it is a whole lot more.
Those examples were bad for a reason, its was to point out that religions are trying to modernize themselves, meaning that in a way, its just an old way of living that isn’t keeping up with the modern world.

Passionario wrote: First, I hope that either I'm seriously misinterpreting your post or there's something lost in translation here... because as far as bullshit justifications for bigotry go, "they are setting the world back" ranks somewhere between "they are stealing our jobs" and "they are polluting the gene pool".

NO!
Now, I don’t know what religion you follow, but from your post I assume you are religious, so these things might not be anything you have a problem with.
A few examples of “setting the world back”.
Creationism, Adam and Eve, World is 6000years old, Sinners will go to hell, a talking snake? Noas Ark.
These are things thought to kids who don’t know how to think for themselves, in essence indoctrination, putting so much ignorance into young people is imo setting the world back since the next generation is always our future, not to mention child abuse.
None of these make sense, none of them have any facts to support them, instead mountains of evidence against them (except the heaven/hell part I guess) but If there is no evidence needed to prove it, there is no requirement to need evidence to disprove it (C.Hitchens)
What I have a problem with is when religion says they have all the answers, or teaches us to be satisfied with not knowing the world, and teaching young children that. That is the part of religion I wholeheartedly hate.
Passionario wrote:Second, despite what some fundamentalist idiots may say, they don't speak for all Christians, much less all people who believe in God. Would you act like an asshole towards Lev, Skye and other LGBT posters just because prison rapists and NAMBLA activists exist? No? Then why do you think that it's OK to lump me and other theists together with Westboro Baptists and other militant jerks?

Sure, all fundamentalist idiots doesn’t speak for all christians, just like I don’t speak ABOUT all christians.
There are like millions of different brances of christianity alone, all with different opinions and ideas, or different interpretations of the bible, you can obviously not include all every time you mention christianity.

Cogglamp wrote: There are rational and irrational actors on both sides of each argument. It's up to us to use our reason, logic, and knowledge to find the common ground. It's easy for the loud vocal minority on each side to be heard but that doesn't have to be the end of the discussion. I know I've found it. I pray to my god, hope for better things to come, and realize I have to play my part in bringing about a better world.

I really like the very first part of your sentence, there is no denying that is a fact.
But you lost me at the bolded part.
And I completely love the text in Italic, and that is pretty much words to live by.
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum