Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:47 pm

Skye1013 wrote:There are math books that contradict the bible?

Sorry... you can ignore that if you want, since it's not really "on topic."

Yeah, negative numbers only reach to 6000.

*badum tish*

Remark aside, here is the article that mentions only bible-based math books are used in some of these schools. Apparently, set theory is the devil's creation.
http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid ... AG20120601
Last edited by Klaudandus on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Is there something I'm missing about the 14th that makes it not already apply?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I don't see anything on there that would lead me to believe it implies "except homosexuals."

I explained this before. Homosexuality is treated as a choice. So you as a homosexual man have the "right" to marry a women. I as a heterosexual man also have the right to marry a women. Neither of us can choose to marry a man, we are therefore treated identically and you have equal protection.

Of course that's under the assumption that sexual orientation is a choice (otherwise it doesn't make much sense), which is how the federal government currently treats it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Is there something I'm missing about the 14th that makes it not already apply?

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I don't see anything on there that would lead me to believe it implies "except homosexuals."

It's not the action of a state, but of a private school. The 14th doesn't apply. However, there is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which is more affirmative in providing rights rather than telling states what they can't do.

The Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Sexual orientation, as Fridmarr pointed out, is not mentioned.

It is interesting and possibly worth noting that neither is there mention of discrimination on the basis of parentage or legal guardianship. The act specifically states "the individual". Theoretically an organisation could legally discriminate against anyone who has at least one black parent, for example, without discriminating against the individual for being black.

I was referring to the federal dollars, you suggested that a group that discriminates shouldn't receive federal dollars, I was pointing out how legally the supreme court has said otherwise.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Just because its legal, doesn't make it right --- but going beyond this is going down a slippery slope.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:There are math books that contradict the bible?

Sorry... you can ignore that if you want, since it's not really "on topic."

Yeah, negative numbers only reach to 6000.

*badum tish*

Remark aside, here is the article that mentions only bible-based math books are used in some of these schools. Apparently, set theory is the devil's creation.
http://www.reuters.com/assets/print?aid ... AG20120601

I lol'd.

And I'd imagine there are some non-religious folk that would agree about set theory.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Set Theory is doubly evil...

You see, Set is the egyptian god of darkness and chaos; and theory means it's not fact and must be doubted, much like the theory of evolution, so you're better off not teaching it!
---
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 pm

that would make calculus interesting....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Well, calculus was created by a christian heretic (newton), and algebra is obviously an evil muslim creation.

Counting with your fingers is still ok though, since god created your fingers.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Anywho...
Fridmarr wrote:Of course that's under the assumption that sexual orientation is a choice (otherwise it doesn't make much sense), which is how the federal government currently treats it.

Just curious if you have any sort of documentation that shows this, or if it's just supposition based on your observations?
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Well, calculus was created by a christian heretic (newton), and algebra is obviously an evil muslim creation.

Counting with your fingers is still ok though, since god created your fingers.

Dude, knock it off.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Sorry. I was just cracking some jokes.
---
Klaudandus

Postby bldavis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Sorry. I was just cracking some jokes.

i loled but i guess we were derailing it...
sorry :(

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:07 pm

Yeah, my bad. I was being facetious about this to be honest, and just kept rolling with math jokes and their inherent "heathen" nature once I got started.

Didn't really mean to derail, and I hope that since I'm one of the ones that keep posting articles related to LGBT rights is proof enough of that.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Skye1013 wrote:Anywho...
Fridmarr wrote:Of course that's under the assumption that sexual orientation is a choice (otherwise it doesn't make much sense), which is how the federal government currently treats it.

Just curious if you have any sort of documentation that shows this, or if it's just supposition based on your observations?

It's not codified into law if that's what you mean. But that's illogical anyhow, we generally don't write laws as negative scenarios. It's not an enumerated protected status (as noted earlier) so it's not going to be treated as one until it is determined to be a status, which I expect would happen if the Supreme court takes it up, or congress passes a law declaring it so.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:Anywho...

It's not codified into law if that's what you mean. But that's illogical anyhow, we generally don't write laws as negative scenarios. It's not an enumerated protected status (as noted earlier) so it's not going to be treated as one until it is determined to be a status, which I expect would happen if the Supreme court takes it up, or congress passes a law declaring it so.

Right, just was curious if you knew of anything that supported the argument that the government believes it's a choice. The lack of it having been brought up to the Supreme court as a protected status only really proves that nothing has seemed worthy enough to appeal it that far (assuming any of the lesser courts have had to deal with any legitimate issues.)

It's not an enumerated protected status

On a related note, MEO (military equal opportunity) doesn't apply to sexual orientation because of this. I found this out at one of my inprocessing briefings for Osan. I asked the rep after about it, and she really wished I'd mentioned something during the presentation, because it was something she had planned to talk about.

So don't you dare make racists/sexist jokes, but if it's at the expense of a homosexual, feel free*.

*This is probably an exaggeration to some extent... but I'd imagine not by much.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum