Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Election 2012

Postby Koatanga » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Republicans are generally in favour of big business and reducing the influence of the federal government. The government basically exists for defense and infrastructure support, and beyond that should let people live their lives without interference. They prefer a survival-of-the-fittest mentality, and probably represent more of a true democracy - let the majority decide what's right and what's wrong. This does tend to favour a more discriminatory society, however, because beliefs that go against the majority opinion tend to be suppressed. So they are conservative in the sense of "we don't want to establish new laws to protect people - the old ones are just fine".

The basic idea is you are who you are, and through your own efforts you will make your life what it will be.

Democrats tend to extend the government's role as protector beyond military defense, and into areas like health care, literacy, and social equality. Democrats seek to protect minority causes from being steamrolled by majority rule, and hence tend become the champions of human rights issues, particularly where a minority group or opinion is being suppressed by the majority. Rather than conserving the old ways, they want laws and programs to right wrongs and combat social injustice and inequality.

The basic idea is that all men need to have an equal opportunity to reach their potential without being held back by birth or circumstance.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Malthrax wrote:Replace "women" with "liberals", and I agree 100%:
Our country might have been better off if it was just conservatives voting. There is nothing worse than a bunch of mean, hateful liberals. They are diabolical in how they can skewer a person.

Don't want liberals voting so we can have an idiot like Romney in the white house?

To be fair, I'm not supporting Obama. I fall under the camp of "almost anyone would be better than Romney."
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Am I the only person getting sick and tired of all this crap about the consulate attack? Yes, It was sad that we lost a great ambassador and other americans. Wether or not it was a terrorist attack, exactly who did it etc. That's government military information. Exactly what they say on the first few days/weeks/months while they're still trying to figure out all the information, what the next steps are etc. Is most likely in any other situation to be classified information. We were informed of the attack, informed of the loss. That's all in an active situation that I would want to know. I don't need to know the details of an ACTIVE MILITARY SITUATION. And the politicizing of this whole thing is making me sick.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Also, someone on twitter
"Dear Jesus.My wife and I can't make a baby. Can you please send someone to rape her?" #DesperateRepublicanPrayers
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 pm

Aubade wrote:Am I the only person getting sick and tired of all this crap about the consulate attack? Yes, It was sad that we lost a great ambassador and other americans. Wether or not it was a terrorist attack, exactly who did it etc. That's government military information. Exactly what they say on the first few days/weeks/months while they're still trying to figure out all the information, what the next steps are etc. Is most likely in any other situation to be classified information. We were informed of the attack, informed of the loss. That's all in an active situation that I would want to know. I don't need to know the details of an ACTIVE MILITARY SITUATION. And the politicizing of this whole thing is making me sick.

What bothers me is republicans whitewashing their history...

1983: Bomb Blast At U.S. Embassy In Beirut Killed More Than 60, Including 17 Americans
1983: Car Bomb Damaged U.S. Embassy In Kuwait
1987: Car Bomb Exploded Outside U.S. Embassy In Italy
1990: Palestinian Guerrillas Attempted To Attack U.S. Embassy In Tel Aviv
1998: Terrorist Bombs Near U.S. Embassies In Kenya, Tanzania Injured More Than 1,000 And Killed More Than 60, Including Eight Americans (because its fair to throw in Clinton as well)
2002: U.S. Consulate In Karachi, Pakistan, Attacked; 10 Killed, 51 Injured
2004: U.S. Embassy Bombed In Uzbekistan
2004: Gunmen Stormed U.S. Consulate In Saudi Arabia
2006: Armed Men Attacked U.S. Embassy In Syria
2007: Grenade Launched Into U.S. Embassy In Athens
2008: Rioters Set Fire To U.S. Embassy In Serbia
2008: Ten People Killed In Bombings At U.S. Embassy In Yemen

Not saying criticism is not deserved regarding what happened at Benghazi, but republicans shouldn't be throwing stones while living in a glass house
---
Klaudandus

Postby Torquemada » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Fair is fair. Can we call the Fort Hood shooting a terrorist act now? It's been 3 years, and the victims and families are getting fucked because it isn't considered one by the government.
Torquemada

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:36 pm

I think that largely depends... was he shooting up the place because of an affiliation with AQ and/or other terrorist groups, or was he just a disgruntled worker? If it's the latter... then do school shootings also qualify as acts of terrorism? I think it all comes down to "where to we draw the line?"
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Stepping away from the upcoming US elections... this cracked article is awesome, though the title is arguable, based on your definition of "crazy."

Snake (and any other Brazilians), how do you like the elections down there?

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the- ... than-usas/
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:41 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/10/25/a-fan-letter-to-certain-conservative-politicians/

This made me lol

I'm not sure why you LOL'd, but that is quite possibly the most fantastic piece I have read regarding the idiocy that is the Republican's "Year of Rape" that they have had this year.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I lol'd because it was that or feel impotent at the absurdity/ignorance/dissonance Republicans display when it comes to abortion...

And now I feel impotent... thanks for bringing me down back to earth, now I gotta go punch a republican to feel better.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I lol'd because it was that or feel impotent at the absurdity/ignorance/dissonance Republicans display when it comes to abortion...

And now I feel impotent... thanks for bringing me down back to earth, now I gotta go punch a republican to feel better.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad, I just wasn't sure what the LOL was from, that maybe I was missing something. I applaud the writer. What a fantastic way to tie a bow on the topic, and put it into terms that are very easy to understand.
Shoju

Postby Malthrax » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Klaudandus wrote:... now I gotta go punch a republican to feel better.

You didn't punch him. Government punched him for you.

On a related note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6G3nwhPuR4 I guess it proves the adage, "Once you've had Barack, you'll never go back".
Malthrax

Postby Melathys » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Melathys

Postby Aubade » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Maybe I'm Biased, but I saw that video and said okay, I see it as a good thing. He's still standing for the things he wanted 4 years ago, and doesn't feel satisfied with the current progress he's made in 4 years, and wants to keep doing them.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum