Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Brekkie » Tue May 13, 2014 1:32 pm

So I had my interview today. They want to hire me as a full-time Field Organizer. I'd be in charge of managing a network of volunteers for the southern quarter of the state.

The part I find most interesting is the data-driven system they have for targeting specific voters. There is a whole slew of proprietary software the Democratic party uses which is really super cool.

They are going to consult with their Campaign Manager and make me an offer as far as pay. I'm attending a briefing session next week, and if I accept their offer I'd start at the end of the month.

Klaudandus wrote:
Brekkie wrote:I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The Curt Schilling fiasco is a good line of attack: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/05/ ... -on-bonds/

Specially if lawmakers decide to default and get a huge rate hike rather than pay the loan at face value.

The whole thing sucked, that's fer sure.

All three of the Democratic candidates agree the state should honor its debts and not default. The Republicans favor defaulting on the bonds, which would result in a credit downgrade for the state, but what they think isn't important. Whoever wins the Democratic primary will end up as Governor.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 15, 2014 10:38 am

http://www.thelocal.de/20140514/one-in- ... ti-semitic

For the record, these are the questions, from their own website.
1. Jews are more loyal to Israel than to [this country/the countries they live in]
2. Jews have too much power in international financial markets
3. Jews have too much control over global affairs
4. Jews think they are better than other people
5. Jews have too much control over the global media
6. Jews are responsible for most of the world's wars
7. Jews have too much power in the business world
8. Jews don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind
9. People hate Jews because of the way Jews behave
10. Jews have too much control over the United States government
11. Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust

I'm jewish and I am borderline anti-semitic according to their poll. >=/

What a load of rubbish.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu May 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.thelocal.de/20140514/one-in-four-germans-deemed-anti-semitic

For the record, these are the questions, from their own website.
1. Jews are more loyal to Israel than to [this country/the countries they live in]
2. Jews have too much power in international financial markets
3. Jews have too much control over global affairs
4. Jews think they are better than other people
5. Jews have too much control over the global media
6. Jews are responsible for most of the world's wars
7. Jews have too much power in the business world
8. Jews don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind
9. People hate Jews because of the way Jews behave
10. Jews have too much control over the United States government
11. Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust

I'm jewish and I am borderline anti-semitic according to their poll. >=/

What a load of rubbish.

So basically you think you're better than the pollsters. Tick off #4 please :)

P.S. Don menschun ze holocaust.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Which of those would you answer "yes" to?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Io.Draco » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 pm

How are these questions "Anti-Semitic" I could see a few of them, but the whole package? Seriously.

For me personally I'd answer yes to 1, 3, 9, 10 and especially fucking 11.
Io.Draco

Postby Koatanga » Fri May 16, 2014 1:20 am

Personally, I'd answer "no" to all of them, but I'm in New Zealand, which isn't really known for its large Jewish population - or any religious group for that matter. Which in some ways is a pity - we need to import some Poles to make some decent sausage - this British crap is rubbish.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Sagara » Fri May 16, 2014 1:32 am

From here in Belgium, I had a smiliar reaction of "meh", with maybe an exception for 8. We do happen to have a much more heterogenous population, so it's not like there are no Jews around - hell I remember a Jewish school right next to my kindergarden, with armed guards, sniper's dens, the whole shebang.
I'm guessing two root causes is that both communities are too busy crapping on each other and the muslims to bother looking for another scapegoat.

Still, it's funny how perception can drastically change from place to place, even with the Internet slashing right through most of the distance in communication.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 16, 2014 1:51 am

All the questions are examples of racist stereotypes, so the questions are seeing which racist stereotypes you believe. Even if you're anti-Israel (for questions 3 and 10), if you don't see a problem with the fact those statements address a completely generalised group of "Jews" then you maybe need to take some time to evaluate your feelings on this. (Though there's obviously a strong connection, "Israel" is not all "Jews" and "Jews" does not always mean "Israel".)

Honestly, in a poll like that I think a lot of the positive responses just come from people not thinking deeply enough about what they actually mean, not questioning their automatic response.

But answering "yes" to number 9 is pretty much just flat out saying "Yes, I am a racist."
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Fri May 16, 2014 2:26 am

You caught me in a thought-experiment: replace "Jew" with "Muslim" and throw this in Europe.
Hell, I'll push harder and replace with muslim racial stereotyping:

1. Muslims are more loyal to their country of origin than to [this country/the countries they live in]
2. Criminals are Muslim more often than not
3. Muslims have it too easy to enter and live in [this country]
4. Muslims think they are better than other people
5. Muslims want too much control over what's acceptable in the media and the general public
6. Muslims are responsible for most of the world's wars
7. Muslims have too much power in the oil markets
8. Muslims don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind
9. People hate Muslims because of the way Muslims behave
10. Muslims have too much influence over the European government
11. Muslims still talk too much about what happened to them since Israel's founding

Even when many of those are pure racial stereotyping, I *SHUDDER* at the results.

Sagara

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 16, 2014 5:01 am

The Muslims + oil markets question is another loaded one similar to the Jews + global affairs question (though the Jewish one is using the word "control" to imply Zionist conspiracy, a specific thing that doesn't really have a parallel in Islamophobia). A lot of the world's oil is in Muslim countries, therefore Muslims have very high influence, so the question catches people out. Then again, the implication is that somehow the fact that the people are Muslim is the objectionable thing, so the question remains valid for the purpose.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sagara » Fri May 16, 2014 6:07 am

KysenMurrin wrote:The Muslims + oil markets question is another loaded one similar to the Jews + global affairs question (though the Jewish one is using the word "control" to imply Zionist conspiracy, a specific thing that doesn't really have a parallel in Islamophobia). A lot of the world's oil is in Muslim countries, therefore Muslims have very high influence, so the question catches people out. Then again, the implication is that somehow the fact that the people are Muslim is the objectionable thing, so the question remains valid for the purpose.

Wasn't really planning to reach that far with similarities, honestly. Glad I got a lucky accident.
I'm idly considering putting this one somewhere out there to "test" people, but I'm afraid I'd get to see straight-on some darker aspects of my loved ones.

Sagara

Postby Io.Draco » Fri May 16, 2014 6:30 am

f you don't see a problem with the fact those statements address a completely generalised group of "Jews" then you maybe need to take some time to evaluate your feelings on this

Generalizations exist because world events are not influenced by all people, but rather a select few, be them politicians, religious leaders, scientists, generals and so forth. It has always been so and will continue like this.

If a poll deems you anti-Semitic for judging a group of people based on the actions of a very visible minority that makes the decisions or heavily influences them then it's just a load of bilge.

Jews in the world are represented by one country: Israel, and Israel has an elected right wing government that not only has a lot of influence and power on regional affairs but also a very loud entitled mouth using the Holocaust as justifying for everything they are doing right now.

That many Jews in Israel and the rest of the world may not be in favor of what's going on doesn't matter at all unless they act against it, same goes with other situations.

Following World War 2 the Germans where held to be collectively responsible for the actions of a minority during World War 2 that committed the atrocities and to this day, despite only a fraction of people still living from that time, they are still held responsible for it. Why should Jews, especially those in Israel, be treated differently? Why should the Russians be excused for Soviet crimes during and after World War 2?

Collective punishments still exist to this day in one form or another for the actions of a few, generally they take the form of economic sanctions that can severely affect life of ordinary people not involved in the decision making.
Last edited by Io.Draco on Fri May 16, 2014 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Io.Draco

Postby Klaudandus » Fri May 16, 2014 6:39 am

The questions are loaded, which is why I consider this poll shenanigans.

And yeah, I'd agree with Io.Draco on which to tick yes, and I'd add 4 due to my extended family... and by the ADL standards, if you score 6 out 11, then you're anti-semitic.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Fri May 16, 2014 11:10 am

Sagara wrote:You caught me in a thought-experiment: replace "Jew" with "Muslim" and throw this in Europe.
Hell, I'll push harder and replace with muslim racial stereotyping:

1. Muslims are more loyal to their country of origin than to [this country/the countries they live in]
2. Criminals are Muslim more often than not
3. Muslims have it too easy to enter and live in [this country]
4. Muslims think they are better than other people
5. Muslims want too much control over what's acceptable in the media and the general public
6. Muslims are responsible for most of the world's wars
7. Muslims have too much power in the oil markets
8. Muslims don't care what happens to anyone but their own kind
9. People hate Muslims because of the way Muslims behave
10. Muslims have too much influence over the European government
11. Muslims still talk too much about what happened to them since Israel's founding

Even when many of those are pure racial stereotyping, I *SHUDDER* at the results.

it also works with african americans and gays... =/
---
Klaudandus

Postby Sagara » Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Depends on location, I guess.

Anti-gay sentiment is really fairly low and less agressive politically on this side of the Pond. And whelp, ain't that many afro-american :) And here in Belgium at least, we've had africans from our old colony in Congo for so long we don't really think much of their presence.

A bit like the Italians, which are surprisingly numerous.

Sagara

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum