Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fetzie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Klaudandus wrote:In other political news.

The Law of Unintended Consequences in effect.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/24/214997385 ... rs-offices
These days, the Federal Public Defender's Office in Tucson, Ariz., has lots of space. Since the federal budget cuts known as sequestration began, the office has lost a quarter of its staff to layoffs or furloughs.

Under the Constitution, clients still need legal representation, so judges have to appoint private attorneys to replace the public defenders.

The sequester was supposed to save money. But in this case, the sequester is costing federal dollars.

In Arizona, using private attorneys costs the government about 25 percent more than using public defenders — that's about $6 million a year. In other places around the country, the difference can be even greater.

Presumably this is the effect of cutting costs in the wrong places to meet the sequester rules in order to preserve spending in others. Cutting funding in places the public can see it happening and not in those that the public cannot.

In other news the UK will not be joining any military action against Syria, regardless of the outcome of UN reports. The motion was defeated with a 13 vote majority (285 to 272).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I've criticized the US budget... how for the cost of a single F-22, we could fund my school district for several years and things like that.

I'd like them to cut spending on military equipment and move it to vet services.

It would also be nice if they would cut the salary of congresscritters -- and take their health benefits.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fetzie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 pm

How many billions of dollars has the USAF wasted on the joint strike fighter (that will be ready for the scrap heap before the first one rolls off the production line)? That is the kind of project that needs to be hit by the sequester, not school funding or public defenders.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Fetzie wrote:How many billions of dollars has the USAF wasted on the joint strike fighter (that will be ready for the scrap heap before the first one rolls off the production line)? That is the kind of project that needs to be hit by the sequester, not school funding or public defenders.

Completely agreed. Specially since the pentagon had to lower the bar so the plane would meet their requirements.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02 ... jet-specs/
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 am

Klaudandus wrote:It would also be nice if they would cut the salary of congresscritters -- and take their health benefits.

While not having looked up how much a member of congress is awarded in salary, I doubt that is a viable solution.
Remember, the countries with the lowest corruption are the ones paying a jhigh enough salary to parliamentarians, judges, policeofficers etc.
The pay has to be high enough that a bribe generally isn't worth the risk (the other half is having a penalty for taking a bribe that is big enough).

And the way I understand the political system in the US, bribery is pretty much legal through fundraising, soft money, PAC's and general 'benefits' - I don't think te salary needs to be lowered, unless you want more crooked politicians.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 am

Nooska wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:It would also be nice if they would cut the salary of congresscritters -- and take their health benefits.

While not having looked up how much a member of congress is awarded in salary, I doubt that is a viable solution.
Remember, the countries with the lowest corruption are the ones paying a jhigh enough salary to parliamentarians, judges, policeofficers etc.
The pay has to be high enough that a bribe generally isn't worth the risk (the other half is having a penalty for taking a bribe that is big enough).

And the way I understand the political system in the US, bribery is pretty much legal through fundraising, soft money, PAC's and general 'benefits' - I don't think te salary needs to be lowered, unless you want more crooked politicians.

Perhaps, but that hasnt stopped congress to get money from lobbyists for their campaigns and proclaim that their 150K a year is not enough salary for them, quickly forgetting that the avg household income is barely a tick over 50K, and that 1.5 million households live in extreme poverty, where they subsist on less than 2 dollars a day.
---
Klaudandus

Postby aureon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Nooska wrote:

Perhaps, but that hasnt stopped congress to get money from lobbyists for their campaigns and proclaim that their 150K a year is not enough salary for them, quickly forgetting that the avg household income is barely a tick over 50K, and that 1.5 million households live in extreme poverty, where they subsist on less than 2 dollars a day.

Cutting back on 2000 people's 150/yr won't save 1.5 million households, though.

Reducing politician pay is good for morale, and nothing else - the numbers are way too small to matter.
aureon

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Maybe so, but still.

I mean, there should be no reason to be a career politician? There's been some senators that have been in congress for longer than I've been alive.

I don't expect those to be in touch with what their constituents actually want or need.

Seriously, there is no need for NY/DC to have suffered through 42+ years of Charlie Rangel, if you know what I mean.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:17 am

Nooska wrote:

That's just half the problem. See Brazil, for example. Their pay is pretty damn high, and it's one of the most corrupt ones.
They can get away with crazy stuff easily, like raising their own paychecks.
Their bribes generally are on the 8 figures, and they steal money through overbudgets and facade companies all the time.
They don't fear going to jail, because by and large they don't. When a scandal big enough to drop their mandates pops up they just resign and come back a couple years later, because here if they resign they can't be punished.

So, yeah. High paychecks is fine, but they have to show SOME interest in actually doing some good, fear the consequences of anything they do wrong, and feel a gun on their heads 24/7.
-----------------------
Live example. A deputy was, in 2010, condemned for stealing several millions during the 90s, and sent to jail.(The first time since the 80s a politician was sent to jail for the crimes he's been accused of committing)
Only this week the congress finally voted to revoke his right to working in a public station. Yes, his mandate was still active. They didn't revoke his mandate.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:49 am

Snake-Aes wrote:
Nooska wrote:

That's just half the problem. See Brazil, for example. Their pay is pretty damn high, and it's one of the most corrupt ones.
They can get away with crazy stuff easily, like raising their own paychecks.
Their bribes generally are on the 8 figures, and they steal money through overbudgets and facade companies all the time.
They don't fear going to jail, because by and large they don't. When a scandal big enough to drop their mandates pops up they just resign and come back a couple years later, because here if they resign they can't be punished.

The highlighted portion is the problem here; as I said, it has to be 2-fold.
1) High enough salary that you don't need to take bribes
2) punishment severe enough that taking the bribe isn't worth it (because you would, amongst other things, lose that salary thats enough that you didn't need to take the bribe anyway)

As for politicians raising their own saleries - well, yeah, thats pretty much the only way salaries of politicians can be managed (on a national / parliamentary level) in a democratic system - I meean noone is above or equal to the politicians on that level, so who would decide their salary otherwise?

Also (generally, stopped reponding here), please don't underestimate the amount of work being a politician is (in most countries). They geenrally have hours that are far longer than median / average work hours - and anyone working similar hours gets a lot higher pay generally.
Add to that that a lot of politicians are (were) from professions that have a higher than median income to begin with, and it reallly isn't the money keeping them in the seats.

In the US, the electoral system is a part of the "problem" of career politicians, because while true, the quote from West Wing ("And when it comes down to it there ARE term limits - they are called elections") isn't really accurate, as its not the elections that decide who gets to be the representative in many cases, but the ability of the opposition to mount a proper challenge candidate and/or the distribution of selfidentifying voters of one party or another (it would take a pretty big thing to make a candidate from party X lose in a predominantly X party district).
That is also to say that general ignorance of politics (or uniterestedness in same) is a problem (not just the US, but the western world generally).
What is simialr between parties is often so much more than what seperates them - ad I think I've said before; out of the current 8 parties in the danish parliament, only 1 wants to dismantle the welfare state - the rest just disagree on how big it should be, or where it should focus the most amount of effort (and who should benefit).
The smae indication is true in most other western countries (not specifically the welfare satate) - we have ad our "freedom" or "democracy" (or whichever word you want to use as a label) long enough that what we discuss politically, generally isn't fundamental, principled or even impactful - compared to us actually having a say in what goes on at all.

When was the last time you saw demonstrations in favor of a politician that either lost or was deposed/forced to resign (deposing is quite rare, after all) (in the western world) rather than accept it and move on with our own lives?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 am

Not the case here. They work 3 days per week, and around a hundred of the congressmen(of 230) don't go on any given day, working 6 hours a day. Any work they are called to outside the standard journey is worth an extra day's pay, around 2 grand.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 am

Going back to the Charlie Rangel example. The guy is corrupt as hell. He had an ethics trial going against him and was found guilty of 11 of the 12 charges. He made himself rich through congress.

He's not the only one. We got bunch of congressmen that got rich by ways of insider trading, since there is a congressional exemption from insider trading laws, with access to tons information not available to the public.

The base salary they receive as a member of congress is a pitiance. Even if they screw up, are tried and found guilty of ethics charges, you still remain in congress.
---
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Accepting bribes should be a capital offense. (haha i make small pun)
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:45 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Accepting bribes should be a capital offense. (haha i make small pun)

It might be in china. I know some crimes that here would only amount to a fine and a lawsuit are actually punishable with death over there -- like that CEO for that company that sold tainted milk that ended up killing bunch if kids, I believe he got shot.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 am

Klaudandus wrote:It might be in china. I know some crimes that here would only amount to a fine and a lawsuit are actually punishable with death over there -- like that CEO for that company that sold tainted milk that ended up killing bunch if kids, I believe he got shot.

Not sure if that's a good example of taking bribes and getting fined. Being opposed to the death penalty I can't agree with the chinese punishment (barely), but do you really think he'd only get fined elsewhere? Or is that just Brazil?
Paxen

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum