Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Paxen » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Follow-up!

Cameron linked directly to the detection of Miranda: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... G920130821

I'm starting to get seriously worried, here. Russia, ok, they've never had a real solid grasp on "not authoritarian". Greece, their country is fucked, so weird shit happens. Worrysome, but Greece is small. Hungary, well, the hungarians never did really get a grip with their fascist past, did they. Now it's back.

And now, Britain. Full surveillance, both with cameras and all communications traffic. Reporters detained on bullshit "terrorism" charges. Charges that were so bullshit that no one believed them, not even for a second. I'm pretty sure the airport security struggled to say that with a straight face. And newspapers threatened on the direct order of the PM. V for Vendetta starts to look omniously prescient.

When did Europe take a turn towards totalitarianism? Not that the US is much better, you're only more paranoid over there, so they have to go a bit slow. Orwell should have called his book 2014...
Paxen

Postby Sagara » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:28 pm

More than totalitarism, it's the rise of demagogy that allowed politicians with a rather vague program access to more power than they can wisely use.

The problem is that demagogues are at their heart bullies, so they know of only two kind of relationships: dominator and dominated. You're weaker? You'll be crushed, because they have "the people" behind them. You're stronger and not interested in them? They'll brownnose you to get to that sweet, sweet power of yours.

The second problem is that democracy has no natural fail-safe against bullies, unless people are wise enough to recognize it past their own misgivings. Likelyhood: very low.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:45 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Koatanga » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Sagara wrote:More than totalitarism, it's the rise of demagogy that allowed politicians with a rather vague program access to more power than they can wisely use.

The problem is that demagogues are at their heart bullies, so they know of only two kind of relationships: dominator and dominated. You're weaker? You'll be crushed, because they have "the people" behind them. You're stronger and not interested in them? They'll brownnose you to get to that sweet, sweet power of yours.

The second problem is that democracy has no natural fail-safe against bullies, unless people are wise enough to recognize it past their own misgivings. Likelyhood: very low.

Yup. People can be herded around by the carrot of faith and the stick of fear.

When one party links itself to the dominant religion, it can then market the other side as being against that religion. People can be quite happily led to their own demise by their faith. My mother and sister repeatedly vote for candidates who oppose their best interests on the basis of their faith.

After 9/11 the general public was so afraid of terror attacks they basically said "shut up and take my freedom".

Between those two things, I don't think the US has ever been as vulnerable to demagogues as it is right now, with the possible exception of the Cold War and the rise of McCarthyism.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Again, this is why I am looking forward to Apophis to kill the shit out of us.
---
Klaudandus

Postby aureon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Nooska wrote:Nuclear Fission has its own heap of problems - like spent fuel storage - radioactivity isn't good for you, and storing it for our kids or grandkids don't make it better.

Nuclear Fusion however....

There's reprocess for waste, but hey, it costs money!

Klaudandus wrote:Again, this is why I am looking forward to Apophis to kill the shit out of us.

I'm very sorry to break it, but some months ago, thanks to new observations, the possibility of Apophis hitting earth was declared nil.
Also, Apophis would only be a ~750 megaton hit, which, sincerely, isn't much. It's just a very, very, very big volcano, or ~12 Tsar Bombas. Not a Humanity Extinction Event.
aureon

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 pm

I thought it was not gonna be clear until its 2029 flyby.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 am

http://volokh.wpengine.com/wp-content/u ... nParty.pdf
Disgruntled Republican sues the Republican Party for “Professional Negligence” consisting of the breach of the “legal duty of care, to take care of their constituents with job market protection” and the breach of a “duty to make[] sure the Republican corporate members are well taken care of with plentiful job markets, security from criminals, [and] lots of ability to home and nest for their lineages.”

This made me lol
---
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://volokh.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/FitchvRepublicanParty.pdf
This made me lol

The last line:
Then I want a movie script for me and my African American honky cousin. I would
like to play in Blazing Saddles with him for his first starring role and many other funny as all movies.

The previous few paragraphs are even more bizarre. Hard to tell if person is trying to be funny, or actually mentally ill. Joke or Troll? Hmm.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Apparently, the biggest threat to Russia, after the gays, are pastafarians.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... -ties?lite
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:37 pm

In other political news.

The Law of Unintended Consequences in effect.
http://www.npr.org/2013/08/24/214997385 ... rs-offices
These days, the Federal Public Defender's Office in Tucson, Ariz., has lots of space. Since the federal budget cuts known as sequestration began, the office has lost a quarter of its staff to layoffs or furloughs.

Under the Constitution, clients still need legal representation, so judges have to appoint private attorneys to replace the public defenders.

The sequester was supposed to save money. But in this case, the sequester is costing federal dollars.

In Arizona, using private attorneys costs the government about 25 percent more than using public defenders — that's about $6 million a year. In other places around the country, the difference can be even greater.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 am

I disagree filing that ind LoUC - I'd say thats more the law of stupidity and not understanding consequences. Whiel it certainly wasn't an intended consequence, it certianly was a very foreseeable consequence.

I battle with the same attitude in the apartment company I chair - "we have to save money on this and this so we don't have to collect more rent from our tennants", while ignoring that not maintaining buildings will not only mean a serious rent hike at some future point, but also a bigger total rent increase as its more expensive to do neglected work than to maintain regularly.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:36 am

Nooska wrote:I disagree filing that ind LoUC - I'd say thats more the law of stupidity and not understanding consequences. Whiel it certainly wasn't an intended consequence, it certianly was a very foreseeable consequence.

I battle with the same attitude in the apartment company I chair - "we have to save money on this and this so we don't have to collect more rent from our tennants", while ignoring that not maintaining buildings will not only mean a serious rent hike at some future point, but also a bigger total rent increase as its more expensive to do neglected work than to maintain regularly.

Here is something a little more scarier for LoUC
http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2013/08/ ... z2coZGdvza
Running out of money to fight wildfires at the peak of the season, the U.S. Forest Service is diverting $600 million from timber, recreation and other areas to fill the gap.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Lieris » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:17 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opini ... issue.html

Extract:

But I was unprepared for the vitriolic response she inspired. Thousands of people have “liked” the Facebook page “I Hate Skyler White.” Tens of thousands have “liked” a similar Facebook page with a name that cannot be printed here. When people started telling me about the “hate boards” for Skyler on the Web site for AMC, the network that broadcasts the show, I knew it was probably best not to look, but I wanted to understand what was happening.

A typical online post complained that Skyler was a “shrieking, hypocritical harpy” and didn’t “deserve the great life she has.”

“I have never hated a TV-show character as much as I hate her,” one poster wrote. The consensus among the haters was clear: Skyler was a ball-and-chain, a drag, a shrew, an “annoying bitch wife.”

I enjoy taking on complex, difficult characters and have always striven to capture the truth of those people, whether or not it’s popular. Vince Gilligan, the creator of “Breaking Bad,” wanted Skyler to be a woman with a backbone of steel who would stand up to whatever came her way, who wouldn’t just collapse in the corner or wring her hands in despair. He and the show’s writers made Skyler multilayered and, in her own way, morally compromised. But at the end of the day, she hasn’t been judged by the same set of standards as Walter.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:22 am

^Wht am I missing in regards to politics on this issue?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum