Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 am

Around here we have a long list of allowed names (A boy can have a given name of "Awesome"), but the law is a "common sense" approach, that you are not allowed to name your child something which can be an obvious problem for the child later, or is directly offensive (as in indecent) or clearly offensive to established religious beliefs - with the caveat that if you can establish that it is a normal name for your family, or that someone else is named the same (first/given) name, you may use it.

The big one here was about a mother being judged to pay daily fines for naming her son Christophpher (single "ph" or double "f" was fine, but double "ph" was not).
She did eventually win it, because, while maybe being stupid, it was not offensive, or obvisously putting the child a a disadvantage (apart from learning to spell his own name possibly).

How "Awesome" can be accepted under this, I do not know.. especially as there is nothing prohibiting you from taking the last name "Sauce" for instance...
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:58 am

If the criteria is putting the child at a disadvantage, at what point do they penalize Scrabble names, since there's actual research behind that?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:17 am

My name is Sauce, Awesome Sauce.

That said, i have never understood why people have the need to name your kid Laquesha or Jamarcus... Or Mackenzie or Tidus...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:41 am

Well one of those names (Mackenzie) is actually an old name, as for the rest...

@fuzzy: I'm not immediately familiar with "scrabble names" ?
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:51 am

Put Scrabble tiles into a bag. Pick out tiles at random. New hip baby name ensues.

Also used to describe spelling "traditional" names in an unusual fashion -- e.g., Jaiymes or Jaxynn or Allasyn, but encompasses Afro-Ameri naming conventions, e.g., Shaniqua, Trayvon, etc.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:51 am

I've no problem with names. I don't put much stock in names. My daughter has a first name that looks like a misspelled name, and a middle name that no one can seem to pronounce, even though it's a common old spelling of the name.

Hell, I went through life with 2 middles names, and because of the way the paperwork was filled out, everyone thought I had 2 first names. Every year I started school, I had to go through the process of correcting everyone that my first name was just one word. Not both.

Thankfully, as an adult I've been able to correct that with my driver's license. They don't ask for your whole name, just first, last, middle initial. So I only put one middle initial down.

I can see having a problem with something like bus stop 16 or whatever, but I have a really hard time stopping people from using other names.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

So our longtime warlock is named Geoff. Just Geoff, like short for Geoffrey.

In Wrath, for the longest time, the raid leader of the ICC 25 group we were pugging kept calling him G-off. G-off this, G-off that. We laughed about it in guild chat, but just ignored it. Then came the day that someone else blurts on Vent, "it's pronounced Jeff!"

"Then it should be spelled that way!"

".....it IS. That's the British spelling."

Dead silence ensued on Ventrilo, while guild chat exploded.

On a similar note, that judge should be overruled. I don't care if this is her first time ordering a first name change (and apparently she chose what it would be? Did I read that right?). That sets a dangerous precedent. I've seen how people in low-to-no Hispanic population areas spell Hispanic words (Estrella became Astraya). What if I were a judge who deemed that Jesus is an inappropriate name for a boy? But it's not pronounced geez-us, it's hay-soos!

(Personally, I think Messiah is a damn stupid name too, but I'm not the parent nor the child. And what's to stop the parents from the new fad, "it looks like Martin, but is pronounced Messiah"?)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:03 pm

So lets have some fun with names.

How would you pronounce

Coryne

I'll give you a hint, it's a feminine name.
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:12 pm

My first thought would be Corin or Corinne, but given the topic at hand, I'm guessing Karen?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Corinne is my guess.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Cah-REE-n(e)?

Ortherwise I'm with corinne, but betting people pronounce it Core-ain.
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 pm

It is Corinne, You guys are good :)

But, everyone pronounces it

KOR ee anne

Ugh. It's not like we even invented the spelling. It's the way it was spelled in a British Dystopia that I read..... in College? I'll check the name of the book tonight. Not very popular book, but I loved it.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 pm

I could see the Cory part, but anne? There's no A there, what the hell
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 pm

A lot of people don't bother to think between seeing the word and saying what they expected to see. So you get Cory-Anne.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Fivelives wrote:Number 16 Bus Shelter is just hilarious.

We have a culture that delights in taking the piss. In the 2001 census, enough people put "Jedi" as their religion that it would have been the second largest religion in New Zealand if it existed.

To be fair, that was actually a protest about the relevance of religion to a census, but you get the idea. Say we can't or shouldn't do something and be prepared for some piss-taking.

But I am looking forward to the wedding of number 16 Bus Shelter to Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii (both real names).
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum