Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 pm

I love this: http://youtu.be/rPOKm20wP4s -- it gets really good at around the 4:30 mark
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Lieris wrote:Not really, I just don't see the point in a drawn out argument (something I don't have the time for) with someone I know I will never see eye to eye with over the reliability of Zimmerman's testimony.

Given that you are a far right crazy who is not so subtly licking his lips at the thought of a civil war (something which will not happen outside the realm of Tea Party wet dreams) I am not going to argue with you either.

Wow nice ad hominem. The lip licking was a particularly nice, yet amazingly hypocritical touch given your stance on Zimmerman. For the record, you actually were not asked about the reliability of anyone's statement.

If you are just going to post judgements and personal attacks and not actually engage in discussion, you can kindly see your way out of the thread. Asylum or not, we aren't going to be feeding trolls.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 pm

I don't think Lieris is intentionally trolling, to be fair.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Lieris wrote:Not really, I just don't see the point in a drawn out argument (something I don't have the time for) with someone I know I will never see eye to eye with over the reliability of Zimmerman's testimony.

Given that you are a far right crazy who is not so subtly licking his lips at the thought of a civil war (something which will not happen outside the realm of Tea Party wet dreams) I am not going to argue with you either.

Wow nice ad hominem. The lip licking was a particularly nice, yet amazingly hypocritical touch given your stance on Zimmerman. For the record, you actually were not asked about the reliability of anyone's statement.

To anyone who doesn't believe Zimmerman's testimony is reliable, asking what they'd think if it was is totally irrelevant.

Because the reliability of his testimony is the real question, not whether a person's legal defence case says the right thing to get a not guilty charge (saying something that'd get a "not guilty" is the entire point of the defence case, after all).
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Aubade » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 am

I'm really confused by you.

Are you really as soapboxy as you are claiming to be here, or are you trolling us all?

Were you there in the bushes watching the zimmerman/trayvon confrontation go down? No? Then I don't trust your every word, and you shouldn't trust anyone who wasn't there.

The ACTUAL facts leave a lot to interpretation, and I won't start debating the actual trial. The outrage of "Open Season on black kids" etc, just makes me sick. It was ONE FREAKING TRIAL, with a lot of grey area.

Lieris wrote:Given that you are a far right crazy who is not so subtly licking his lips at the thought of a civil war (something which will not happen outside the realm of Tea Party wet dreams) I am not going to argue with you either.

This line leads me to believe you're simply trolling us all. I don't agree with a lot of his arguments, but I can guarantee you he's not insane, And not a crazy right-winger. Just a little bit mis-guided. (sorry, I can't fully support anyone who votes republican =P <3)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 am

http://www.sandiego6.com/story/hastings ... n-20130714
So writer who pissed off the army dies in really weird accident, after having emailed some coworkers that he was into a really big story, and is cremated before the family can do an independent autopsy on the body.

Not sure what exactly happened, but the authorities aren't helping by reinforcing tin-foil hat conspiracy theories.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Lieris » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:00 am

KysenMurrin wrote:To anyone who doesn't believe Zimmerman's testimony is reliable, asking what they'd think if it was is totally irrelevant.

Because the reliability of his testimony is the real question, not whether a person's legal defence case says the right thing to get a not guilty charge (saying something that'd get a "not guilty" is the entire point of the defence case, after all).

Exactly, I think there is no point in a very predictable circular bad tempered argument. That's not "trolling" or being sanctimonious, I just don't feel the need to "win" at internet debates.

If you want to turn a blind eye to the very obvious institutional racism in your country (mine has it too btw) and aren't outraged at a man playing wannabe vigilante, chasing and shooting dead a teenager yet getting off scot free (and there wasn't even going to be a trial initially!) then there is something very wrong with you and it says a lot as to the value your society places on the lives of black people.

I also don't feel the need to discuss with someone who votes for a party who are openly racist, classist, homophobic and who hate women. To me that says enough about that person to not want to associate with them. You Americans might be so desensitised to the GOP hateful rhetoric that you give a free pass to such shameless bigotry but that's why their views are so mainstream in polite society, because you legitimise them instead of calling them out for being racist/misogynist etc. I might be blunt but at least I don't make excuses for the American Taliban. If you are a white, straight, able-bodied, financially solvent male then this stuff might not make you angry but if you have any measure of empathy within you then you should be able to at least see why it angers those who are being oppressed by far right politicians and their supporters who prop up the power structures that maintain the kyriarchy.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:39 am

That's absurd, the question was just a hypothetical to understand your position.

George Zimmerman was not on trial as a representative of the institution. This trial was not about America and our racial history. The trial was about the events that unfolded that evening, and that's the standard that must be used to evaluate it. Judging those events, and wanting to put a man in prison over anything other than his actions, is no different than all those terrible evils you mention. Rationalize it any way you want.

Lastly, we don't vote for parties here. There's plenty of variance between the individuals and the party platform itself. It's also the second time you levied those claims at me, and the last time you utterly refused (I'm starting to see a pattern) to defend them against any scrutiny when I asked. That said, I don't think we've actually had a discussion on our voting histories. My guess is that your assumptions on them are not very accurate, but clearly a lack of accurate information hasn't proven itself to be an obstacle to your prejudices, so flame away.

I don't care about the bluntness. The personal attacks are another issue, especially when you aren't willing to even discuss them. You just come in here like Rush Limbaugh inciting the crowd and flaming everyone you disagree with, while offering up precious little substance. This is still a discussion forum, if you don't want to discuss, then don't bother participating.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 am

Let's look at the question, then.
Fridmarr wrote:
Lieris wrote:Zimmerman is a racist and a murderer <snip>

<snip>
So out of curiosity, if Zimmerman was returning to his truck, and was jumped by Martin, does that change your opinion?

I don't think there's any way to know for certain about the killing. But the racist part? Yes, he probably was, regardless of how the shooting happened.

He say a young black man he didn't recognise and assumed he was up to no good. To the point that during the 911 call he had clearly already passed judgement and was intent on keeping track of Martin to make sure he didn't get away with whatever suspicious thing he was supposedly there doing.

I'm not talking about big showy screaming-the-n-word racism here. This is internalised racist stereotyping that comes from exposure to the wider culture which is institutionally racist.

Did Zimmerman force a confrontation by following Martin? Did Martin attack Zimmerman after he'd stopped following him? We'll probably never know. What we do know is that he saw a young black man walking through his neighbourhood and immediately assumed guilt.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 am

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... cmpid=hpts
20 weeks is so yesterday! Lets ban abortion at 6 weeks!
Down the slippery slope in Texas I tell you.

The Ericsson guy was right, Texas is gonna see an increase in coathangers purchases. I should buy stock in them.

Am I allowed to call them old white rich dudes yet? :p
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:47 am

That's a big wall of text that still didn't answer or even remotely address the question.

For the record I don't care whether the question is answered or not. It was just a curiosity that is moot for me at this point.

Also, there's no question that Zimmerman was a bit paranoid, he had called 911 forty some times over the last eight years. I have no clue what the racial demographic of those calls were though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:24 am

I still don't understand the point of the question. "If Zimmerman was really right to do what he did, would you still think he was wrong to do it?" is a dumb thing to ask.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 am

Yeah, we are on different wavelengths or something. 

You actually just kind of answered the question, though you then tried to use the answer in an illogical way.  Based on that post, you believe that Zimmerman would have been "right" had Martin jumped him on the way back to his truck.  That's pretty much the question I was asking, and that's it.  I'm not at all certain that the answer to that question is cut and dry. You seem to think that it is?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am

Lieris wrote: You Americans might be so desensitised to the GOP hateful rhetoric that you give a free pass to such shameless bigotry but that's why their views are so mainstream in polite society, because you legitimise them instead of calling them out for being racist/misogynist etc. I might be blunt but at least I don't make excuses for the American Taliban.

Out of curiosity, do you paint the American Left with as broad brush associating the entire spectrum with their worst elements, or do you truly believe that rhetoric of "American Taliban"?

Can you explain what the Taliban are? Why do you call the GOP the American Taliban?

I'm honestly curious if you've given it some thought and came to your position independently, or if you're just repeating talking points and memes because that's all you know or have been exposed to, where you live.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 am

Zimmerman stopped being right when he pursued someone running away. The 911 transcript shows that he

1.) had a bias against martin. It doesn't address what it was. Unknown person, race, etc...
2.) No faith in the police to actually do something about it.

He was being a vigilante. While I don't feel this verdict sets a precedence of "open season on black people", it does set a precedence that vigilante behavior is acceptable.

And in Lieris defense, I have a very similar opinion of those who still in this day and age can stomach voting republican. It's a farce of a party that has given up it's core values, and sold out to the idea that the line was

Life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.... as long as you believe the same things that I do.

It's not talking points, and rhetoric, and memes. it's the behavior of the republican party for over 12 calendar months now, and Texas and North Carolina are showing that it's a trend in behavior that is going to continue for at least the foreseeable future.

It ends up characterized in a negative light, because of the fact that the loudest and most vocal parts of the republican / tea party movement, also happen to be the racist (in that paula deen way), sexist, homophobic, rich old white guy that Klaud, Lieris, and I have all alluded to (or out right pointed at) in a mocking tone.

The Right (probably more the far right) are awful, dreadful people, who sold out the values of less government intrusion in personal life, in exchange for more votes from a slightly conservative, faithful block of voters. Team Rape, Texas, The Carolina catastrophe, it just keeps adding up, and making the republicans look like shit. Until the party does something about it, yes. They will be openly mocked. And they should be.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum