Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Lieris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:05 am

I think they're referring to stand your ground being in the juror's instructions.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am

My information is publicly available. They released the tapes of the 911 Phone Call. They released that this phone call took place before the alteraction, and in the call he references that he is in his car.

Eye Witness interviews say that the altercation took place outside of a car, in the grass.

Past that, there really isn't much needed. He was told to do something by an officer of the law.
He didn't do it. He did the opposite
A quick google of Florida Revised Code reveals that Florida also has a Failure to Comply with Order or signal of an officer of the law in their code of laws.

He didn't follow the order of a law officer (news flash: 911 operators are Police Officers)
He committed a crime.
Which then led to an alteraction with someone he didn't know, who looked suspicious.
There was no Crime actively happening when this happened. He was just a suspicious person of interest in the neighborhood.
Had he waited in his car as instructed on the 911 call, he would not have gotten into the altercation, Martin would still be alive, he wouldn't have gotten the shit beat out of him, and he wouldn't have ruined his life.

But because he didn't follow the order, he got into an altercation that put him in harms way. I find the justification of deadly force in this situation ridiculous. Breaking the law, and then killing someone because it put you in harms way isn't standing your ground. It's Vigilante behavior that now has trial law precedence as being acceptable in the state of Florida.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 am

Jabari wrote:I think we can give him a pass for not having a clue this time.

Umm. Thanks? :(
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am

Shoju wrote:Past that, there really isn't much needed. He was told to do something by an officer of the law.

Here is the transcript of the call:
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... erman.html

The closest thing to being told to do something is this:
Dispatcher: Ok, we don't need you to do that.

Which is hardly an order to stay in the car -- Zimmerman was already out of his car at this point -- and was a key point admitted by the prosecution.

This breaks your first point that Zimmerman broke the law by disobeying an officer of the law, and was specifically addressed during the trial. But it's a potent talking point and makes for nice emotional hyperventilating.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 am

Shoju wrote:My information is publicly available. They released the tapes of the 911 Phone Call. They released that this phone call took place before the alteraction, and in the call he references that he is in his car.

Eye Witness interviews say that the altercation took place outside of a car, in the grass.

Past that, there really isn't much needed. He was told to do something by an officer of the law.
A quick google of Florida Revised Code reveals that Florida also has a Failure to Comply with Order or signal of an officer of the law in their code of laws.

He didn't follow the order of a law officer (news flash: 911 operators are Police Officers)
He committed a crime.
Which then led to an alteraction with someone he didn't know, who looked suspicious.
There was no Crime actively happening when this happened. He was just a suspicious person of interest in the neighborhood.
Had he waited in his car as instructed on the 911 call, he would not have gotten into the altercation, Martin would still be alive, he wouldn't have gotten the shit beat out of him, and he wouldn't have ruined his life.

But because he didn't follow the order, he got into an altercation that put him in harms way. I find the justification of deadly force in this situation ridiculous. Breaking the law, and then killing someone because it put you in harms way isn't standing your ground. It's Vigilante behavior that now has trial law precedence as being acceptable in the state of Florida.

Shoju
While that information is public record, there is no freaking way you actually read it because your information is ridiculously false.  That's actually quite reasonable because most of the media stories have had the same false information too.  First of all, the call did not take place from Zimmerman's car, it started there but it most definitely did not end up there.

Zimmerman was already following Martin, and the 911 operator asked if he was following, Zimmerman said that he was, and the 911 operator said "We don't need you to do that".  That's it, there was no freaking order to stay in the car, which would be insanely stupid because he wasn't in his car.  There was no order to stop following Martin, There was no order to do anything at all. 

Further, Zimmerman responded "OK" and then started having a conversation indicating that he was heading back to his truck and that he would meet the police at his truck.  It was also clear that he didn't know where Martin was, because he wouldn't give out his address in case Martin heard it.  All of which is consistent with Zimmerman's statement that he was jumped by Martin while heading back to his truck. 

That's really where the problem is, we don't know what happened in that time after the call and up to Martin's death, but there's no evidence that Zimmerman actually reached Martin.  The evidence we do have lends credibility to Zimmerman's story.  The burden of proof is on the prosecution, and they didn't have much to work with.  Maybe Zimmerman did find Martin and instigated the altercation, but there is no proof of that.

Also Zimmerman did not invoke the stand your ground law.

Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Jabari wrote:I think we can give him a pass for not having a clue this time.

Umm. Thanks? :(

Heh, just giving you a hard time.
(But with a point. I had asked you a while back where you usually got your information from and you never answered. You didn't answer it this time either - I'm beginning to think that's deliberate. I think it would do you some good to expand your horizons a bit and was going to give suggestions. No, not National Review or Free Republic, I promise! :) )

Shoju wrote:He didn't follow the order of a law officer (news flash: 911 operators are Police Officers)
He committed a crime.

This is false BTW. "Orders" from 911 dispatchers are not binding nor required to be followed.

Fridmarr wrote:That's actually quite reasonable because most of the media stories have had the same false information too.

Yup. I'd take this further and say that "most of the media stories have deliberately painted a false narrative".

The interesting question to ask is "why?"

Fridmarr wrote:Also Zimmerman did not invoke the stand your ground law.

See Klaud - this is why I asked you why you thought the two cases were related, and where you get your info. SYG has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the Zimmerman case! The defense specifically waived a hearing for that before the trial started.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Probably missed that part. I am normally good enough with providing links. Heck, I even provided links to back up Fridmarr's poll numbers! =P

But if you ever link me to NRO or Freepers... I will retaliate. >=P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm

I'll post a link to the piece I read, that had the transcript of the call. I would have wagered money that he was told to not pursue, or follow, or something along those lines. After reading what you posted, I'm now really curious if I'm just not remembering correctly (a point I'm willing to admit, since I haven't read it since last year when the 911 call was released), or if the piece I read was factually inaccurate.

I will say though, that at least in Ohio, orders from a 911 operator are as binding as orders from a police officer in person, as was argued in court, and then appellate courts not too long ago (in the last 8-12 years I would say). I will dig up a link on that as well. That it would be different state to state is surprising.

I can't search much on my work computer, or I'd post from here.

I've tried to stick pretty clear of this case. I've read (and now reread the call), and I've read several other pieces of case law. I've stayed way the hell away from the trial. It's a powder keg. Even if I'm wrong and the piece I originally read was factually accruate, My opinion largely remains that Zimmerman was the aggressor, even after reading the transcript you linked to. He didn't have to end up in a fight. He did his "civic duty". This wasn't a burglary. There wasn't a crime in progress. It was just some kid he thought was being sketchy. He showed an attitude of unhappiness with law enforcement response to the situation "because these assholes always get away".

What would really give me a sense of how far out of line Zimmerman was: where was the shooting in relation to the original place he said he would be? Why did he then want them to call him when they got in the area?

I still think he's going to end up losing a wrongful death civil case, and I believe he should. It didn't need to come to that.
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

I listened to it after reading these posts.

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/raw-911 ... ice/vGZq9/

The only thing said is "We don't need you to do that". It's hard to tell what Zimmerman does from the call; he never actually says outright that he'll go back to the truck. He does tell them to call him when they get there instead of agreeing to wait where they can find him.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:10 pm

There is a transcript error in that earlier link too. When asked if he wanted to meet with the police when they arrived Zimmerman answered 'Yes', that answer was omitted.  Also the question asking  basically "where do you want them to meet you" was attributed to Zimmerman, but obviously that was asked by the 911 operator.

It is plausible (and even quite likely) that Zimmerman wanted the police to call because he had to go back to his truck to figure out the address where it was. So he could tell the police where he was.He indicated as much when they asked him where he was parked. Or maybe he wanted a chance to find Martin before they came, it's hard to say.

Even with no evidence you are free to believe he was the aggressor, but as far as the trial is concerned (in my best Tom Cruise voice)...It doesn't matter what you believe, it only matters what you can prove. 

When the case broke I paid attention to the case a bit, so most of my knowledge is from that.  I didn't follow the trial at all, so maybe I missed something, but for all the amazing amount of false information (and man has this thread contributed to that...), hypocritical rhetoric, indications that America (or Florida) just legalized the murder of african americans (...yay more death panels), and all the other idiotic nonsense people are spewing, I have yet to see anyone point to any particular evidence at all, much less evidence that overcomes reasonable doubt.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm

I don't know enough about any of it to comment. I just find it amusing that one of the things that made Trayvon look suspicious to Zimmerman was that he was eyeing up the strange guy sat staring at him while on the phone.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Lieris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Zimmerman is a racist and a murderer and his supporters are cut from the same cloth as he is. It's a joke that this pile of human excrement walks free and with the murder weapon. This is a self-appointed sherif with a criminal record who stalked then murdered an unarmed teenager and yet he has cheerleaders who are continuing to vilify Trayvon and blame him for his own murder. Shameless and gross.

This is a good opinion piece IMO: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ys-verdict
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm

It does not truly legalize the murder of young african americans (the whole open season is quite the hyperbole), that's fer sure; but does nothing to alleviate the idea among african americans that the system plays with loaded dice. (not saying this is actually happening)

It is very clear this is a shooting that shouldn't have happened in the first place -- in part because both men's instinct switched to Fight rather than to Flight.

And that said, it is very possible that many of us would have had the same reaction if we're approached by some stranger that has been stalking after your for several blocks.

I do think Zimmerman should have gone to jail. That's just me.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Lieris wrote:Zimmerman is a racist and a murderer and his supporters are cut from the same cloth as he is. It's a joke that this pile of human excrement walks free and with the murder weapon. This is a self-appointed sherif with a criminal record who stalked then murdered an unarmed teenager and yet he has cheerleaders who are continuing to vilify Trayvon and blame him for his own murder. Shameless and gross.

This is a good opinion piece IMO: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ys-verdict

/facepalm

That article is so full of misinformation (I mean come on, we just covered this) and rhetoric it's sad.  It's still legal to shoot a black man because you don't like the look of him...is it open season on black boys after dark...herp derp. 

So out of curiosity, if Zimmerman was returning to his truck, and was jumped by Martin, does that change your opinion?
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Klaudandus wrote:It does not truly legalize the murder of young african americans (the whole open season is quite the hyperbole), that's fer sure;

It's how African Americans feel right now.

but does nothing to alleviate the idea among african americans that the system plays with loaded dice. (not saying this is actually happening)

The entire criminal justice system is institutionally racist. That Zimmerman wasn't arrested initially and they did toxicology tests on Trayvon's body and not Zimmerman says it all. They tried to blame Trayvon for his own murder, paint him as a thug and brush this one under the carpet.

It is very clear this is a shooting that shouldn't have happened in the first place -- in part because both men's instinct switched to Fight rather than to Flight.

Trayvon tried to avoid confrontation, his instinct was flight. Zimmerman kept stalking him, he was always looking for an altercation.

I do think Zimmerman should have gone to jail. That's just me.

He would have done if he was black and Trayvon was white.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum