Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby cdan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 am

Flex wrote:
Jabari wrote:
The other problem of course is the electorate is just ... savage. Willfully ignorant, horribly mal- (or un-)educated, and a vast majority treat vice as virtue. This country has lost most of what made it civilized, and I'm afraid the only way back involves bloodshed, given that secession won't be allowed.

I am 100% sure that the electorate has never been educated enough to even come close to this romanticized vision that some people have of the past.

Voters have always been politically illiterate. Even the roman politicos knew the value of bread and circuses.

What is different these days is the extent to which pseudonyms need to be used for old fashioned ideas. When the right want to bash racial minorities they use words like Urban and Immigrant.

One big change I am keen on is the fact that the bigots have started identifying themselves as outside of the mainstream by painting themselves and their ideas as victims of the "lamestream" media and similar. That is a significant view as it spells an acceptance of their marginalisation. As soon as you admit that you no longer play a central role in life you are admitting you are heading towards irrelevance. I just hope that, in the US especially, the bigots don't cause too much damage on the way down (as they are trying to do in various southern states with their pernicious abortion laws).
cdan

Postby Nooska » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:41 pm

Well the direct election of a representative (rather than apportioned representatives) in districts, did make the electorate "better educated" back when it was smaller, and the election was held by people showing up and selecting in some sort of common session - they knew who the person they selected was - it was someone they knew, personally (thought maybe not socially).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Qeeze » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Most people have little to no interest in politics, and unfortunately when they actually do form opinions, it's usually based more on emotion {or the bent of the media they follow), than sound reasoning. People just don't think things through on their own. They rely on being told by someone else what they should be for or against. So I have a few random questions I'd like to discuss.

Why do election cycles last so long?

Why do some states have far more clout than warranted.

Why is redistricting & the Census done every 10 years still? This isn't the 19th century anymore after all.

Why don't we have a reliable methods of voting with systems that are actually accurate, with results tabulated & announced instantly?

Why do we allow gerrymandering safe districts regardless of which party it favors?

I have lots more but I kept it to 5.
Qeeze

Postby Amirya » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 pm

The short answer:

Because no one is willing to take the steps necessary to fix the garbage that is US politics.

(Sadly, that also includes me, because I just can't give a damn about the US.)

The long answer:

Will have to come from someone else who has more knowledge than I do.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm

I gotta ask, for teh first question there "why do election cycles last so long?" - whar are you referring to there? the every 2/4)/6?) years a specific person is up for re-election? or the time of being in an actual race/contest?
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 am

wrt cycle lengths, you can campaign for the fucking job, or you can *do* the fucking job. Hard to do a good job trying to do both at once.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 am

fuzzygeek wrote:wrt cycle lengths, you can campaign for the fucking job, or you can *do* the fucking job. Hard to do a good job trying to do both at once.

I fucking hate that. So I agree.

Also, it would be nice if there were term limits for everyone. I'm annoyed several senators, both at state level and national level have been there since I was in middle school.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 am

Was tempted to post this on amusements section instead...

http://snipelondon.com/scoop/emirates-c ... next-mayor

So, London Mayor signs a 10 year contract with UAE to sponsor a car, the contract bans criticism on the contract itself plus also bans making any business with Israel.
---
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 am

I would argue part of the problem with American politics is that few people think it's strange that one can be a "career politician."
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:07 am

I do think its strange... and disgusting... mostly disgusting to be honest. >=/
---
Klaudandus

Postby cdan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 am

Klaudandus wrote:Was tempted to post this on amusements section instead...

http://snipelondon.com/scoop/emirates-c ... next-mayor

So, London Mayor signs a 10 year contract with UAE to sponsor a car, the contract bans criticism on the contract itself plus also bans making any business with Israel.

Not much wrong with limiting trade with a state that practices apartheid. A pity it is a contract with a state with an equally poor human rights record though.
cdan

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:27 am

Yeah, don't get me started on Israel, despite being of jewish descent... I mean, they love Prisoner X so much that after the last one died, they decided to go ahead and get a replacement one... *sigh*

But seriously, it's not so much about the contract telling you that you should not make business with a specific country -- what amused me the most was about the contract specifically barring upcoming administrations from criticizing the contract in the first place.
---
Klaudandus

Postby cdan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:03 am

Klaudandus wrote:Yeah, don't get me started on Israel, despite being of jewish descent... I mean, they love Prisoner X so much that after the last one died, they decided to go ahead and get a replacement one... *sigh*

But seriously, it's not so much about the contract telling you that you should not make business with a specific country -- what amused me the most was about the contract specifically barring upcoming administrations from criticizing the contract in the first place.

Funniest thing of all is that Little Lord Silly-hair is going to be the next Prime Minister.
cdan

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am

Well, I'm not that familiar with british politics, so I had no idea that the london mayor was poised to be the new PM.
---
Klaudandus

Postby cdan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

Klaudandus wrote:Well, I'm not that familiar with british politics, so I had no idea that the london mayor was poised to be the new PM.

It is up for debate, but Boris seems headed for the 'tory leadership by the looks of things. He's a buffoon so people love him and seem to forget his horrible politics and questionable morality.
cdan

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum