Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:49 pm

All I want is for them to take a more prominent role in the drafting of such legislation. Something they don't really get.

you seem to think that women are pretty well represented in this debate. of course, seeing how the filibuster ended, I'd disagree.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:20 am

They don't? Based on what data? Surely not solely based on something as ridiculously anecdotal as the Wendy Davis filibuster? Are you suggesting that only women can properly represent women on this issue? If so, then which women. Is it all women, those just the "medical women" you mentioned earlier, or women who've had kids, or women who've had abortions, or women who have never been pregnant at all? What about (gasp) Christian women...does their opinion count? I'm very curious as to the specifics on this.

Now that we are moving on to representation, I have no clue how you could have surmised my position, since it's never come up before, but honestly I really don't know. I can't say I've got my finger on the pulse of these various slices of women in Texas and how they might feel about the issue. I'm guessing, since nationwide abortions after twenty weeks poll really really low (and that was before this research) that in Texas it's likely to be at least a little bit lower, that it's entirely possible that such representation should be, by your own definition, insufficient to defeat this bill, but then I don't know which slice of women you consider valid and those who shouldn't have a say.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:However, seeing the Wendy Davis filibuster, I guess its pretty safe to assume its something women do not want.

Actually plenty do. I'm sure most women don't know who Wendy Davis is.


Fridmarr wrote:Now that we are moving on to representation, I have no clue how you could have surmised my position, since it's never come up before, but honestly I really don't know. I can't say I've got my finger on the pulse of these various slices of women in Texas and how they might feel about the issue.


Make your mind up. Do you know where women stand on the issue or not?

I mean, you keep saying that women are in favour of the bill, but you haven't tried to point to any examples, just kept pointing back to the men or the imaginary babies.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6812
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 am

Fridmarr wrote:By saying he shouldn't have a vote based on his gender, you are.

The impetus behind this legislation is some controversial research indicating that the baby can feel pain around 20 weeks. I don't think there's any reason to believe having a uterus makes someone more qualified in determining biologic attributes of a fetus. The logic around the whole uterus thing is a red herring and always has been.

You keep saying the "people affected" but keep ignoring the babies.


Under the current law, Klaud is correct in not giving the "babies" as you call them a vote. They aren't a person. They aren't granted rights.

I happen to agree with klaud. I don't have a problem with abortion prior to the fetus being a viable "person" outside of the womb.

That's probably, because unlike a lot of people here, I've been involved in the decision to go forward with an abortion. Is it fun? No. Is it a choice I ever want to be a part of again? FUCK NO. Did we decide that? Yes. Is it something we live with? Yes. Do I want some person who

1.) Isn't the doctor of the woman
2.) Not involved in the pregnancy
3.) pushing a moral agenda over the rights of the woman involved

making the decision? No.

Plain and simple, It's her body. And until the fetus is sustainable outside of the womb, I don't think that it's a person. It doesn't make the decision any less "hard" to make for those involved, but it ultimately comes down to the very idea that it is not a decision that should be relegated to governments, or people not involved.

Set a line in the sand where the Fetus is medically sustainable outside of the womb, and leave it at that. Stop trying to relegate some power or control over a woman because she carries babies in her belly.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:07 am

Like I said, my biggest beef is that the ones pushing all the legislation trying to limit abortion seem to be men, not women.

There doesn't seem to be even a commission where the lawmakers are discussing the legislation with doctors, scientists and women.

Look at North Dakota: http://healthland.time.com/2013/03/25/p ... rmalities/

Also, a good article on the Texas SB5: http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2013/ ... gislation/

When Perry placed SB 5 on the special session agenda, his office released this statement:

“The horrors of the national late-term abortion industry are continuing to come to light, one atrocity at a time. Sadly, some of those same atrocities happen in our own state. In Texas, we value all life, and we’ve worked to cultivate a culture that supports the birth of every child,” Gov. Perry said. “We have an obligation to protect unborn children, and to hold those who peddle these abortions to standards that would minimize the death, disease and pain they cause.”

When Perry says he wants to “cultivate a culture that supports the birth of every child,” what he means is that he wants to force every pregnant person in Texas to carry their pregnancy to term, as demanded by a state government that thinks it knows Texans better than they know themselves—and that thinks it’s better qualified to practice medicine than members of the Texas Medical Association or the American College of Gynecologists.

If Perry cared about the health and well-being of pregnant women and infants and children in Texas, he could have:

* taken the federal Medicaid expansion, which would have helped alleviate the strain of providing quality health care to low-income Texans in a state with the highest percentage of uninsured people in the entire country.
* championed a bill sponsored by state Rep. Lon Burnam (D-Fort Worth) that would restore public funding to Planned Parenthood, which may be the most cost-effective, efficient provider of women’s health services in the state.
* championed any one of state Rep. Mary Gonzalez’s (D-El Paso) bills, which would increase access to contraception among teenage moms, particularly low-income teenage moms.
* championed a bill from state Rep. Jessica Farrar (D-Houston) that would protect the rights of breastfeeding mothers in Texas.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby aureon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am

The best thing about the Texas bill is that the problem is absolutely not the 20-week limit, but the exceptionally strict measures imposed on all abortion clinics, which will probably make all but 4 or 5 abortion clinics in Texas close.
User avatar
aureon
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:41 pm

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 am

aureon wrote:The best thing about the Texas bill is that the problem is absolutely not the 20-week limit, but the exceptionally strict measures imposed on all abortion clinics, which will probably make all but 4 or 5 abortion clinics in Texas close.


Yup. It was a double whammy.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:However, seeing the Wendy Davis filibuster, I guess its pretty safe to assume its something women do not want.

Actually plenty do. I'm sure most women don't know who Wendy Davis is.


Fridmarr wrote:Now that we are moving on to representation, I have no clue how you could have surmised my position, since it's never come up before, but honestly I really don't know. I can't say I've got my finger on the pulse of these various slices of women in Texas and how they might feel about the issue.


Make your mind up. Do you know where women stand on the issue or not?

I mean, you keep saying that women are in favour of the bill, but you haven't tried to point to any examples, just kept pointing back to the men or the imaginary babies.

Those statements are not at all inconsistent with each other, and my very next sentence explained all of it. I'm not sure if you stopped reading or if I wasn't clear, but I'll spell it out more explicitly.

We have 300 million people in our country, the percentage of which that identify themselves as pro-choice is less than half. Polling data shows that as the gestation gets later, the percentage of people opposed to abortion grows. I'm certain, that includes "plenty" of women. That said, those polls are national and not broken down by gender, so I don't know where exactly the women of Texas shake out. I can make an educated guess, which I did in that next sentence.

Shoju wrote:Under the current law, Klaud is correct in not giving the "babies" as you call them a vote. They aren't a person. They aren't granted rights.
But under the current system we all get a vote, so that's kind of moot. If we are changing to a system where only those affected get a vote, then I think the fetus needs to be represented, otherwise if as we have now, recent research that indicates that there may be a reason to change that timeline, there's no advocate to bring it forward.

For the record, viability is more of a technological thing than a biological thing. It's certainly independent of when the fetus is a person.

Klaudandus wrote: Like I said, my biggest beef is that the ones pushing all the legislation trying to limit abortion seem to be men, not women.
Well the face of the legislation is men (duly elected by their constituency to represent them), but then that is going to be true of almost any legislation. My beef is that that shouldn't matter. Argue the legislation, but not the sexist notion that the people who authored it are of a gender that shouldn't have a say in the matter.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 am

Fridmarr wrote:Argue the legislation, but not the sexist notion that the people who authored it are of a gender that shouldn't have a say in the matter.


A legitimate argument will make sense regardless of the color, creed, gender, or nationality of the person making the argument. Invalidating an argument solely based on its author is the worst kind of identity politics.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:04 am

There were commissions on steroids in mlb, but i dont see any commissions on reproductive health.

The reason why i deride the as old white rich dudes is because i dont see them put any effort in getting educated, on hearing all sides of the argument -- instead they seem to drape themselves on this righteous agenda that they know better than anyone else.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am

And that's just more of the same. You can feebly try to wrap it up in a pretty bow with whatever justification you'd like to conjure, but racial and gender attacks are just that. They have no substance. Fuzzygeek pretty much nailed the summation of it.

In all of two minutes (because the list is in alphabetical order -- Donna Campbell) I find a member of the Texas Senate who says she's 100% pro life, is a woman and is also an emergency room physician (she is white though, so I'm not sure if that discounts her...). Now, I really don't know if she is in support of this bill or not, but that isn't really my point. There is no reason to believe that these sorts of legislation don't have supporters and opponents from a broad range of demographics. Hopefully based on the contents of the legislation and not the race or sex of the authors.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:34 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Shoju wrote:Under the current law, Klaud is correct in not giving the "babies" as you call them a vote. They aren't a person. They aren't granted rights.
But under the current system we all get a vote, so that's kind of moot. If we are changing to a system where only those affected get a vote, then I think the fetus needs to be represented, otherwise if as we have now, recent research that indicates that there may be a reason to change that timeline, there's no advocate to bring it forward.

For the record, viability is more of a technological thing than a biological thing. It's certainly independent of when the fetus is a person.



If you truly believe that everyone currently has a vote, you are delusional. Not everyone gets a vote. Not everyone is represented. The winning party is represented, and not even then, can you say that everyone in the winning party's opinions are represented by the person that is elected.

Currently, yes. They are independent. I'm saying, we draw a line in the sand. This is when it can be independent via technology. This is when it is a person. Done. As technology advances, laws can be changed, and amended based on said technology. One day, we'll get to a point where it isn't abortion, but harvesting of the unwanted pregnancies, and they can be grown in a lab just like Brave New World, and we can mess with them with science.

But until that point, we need to respect that it's the woman's body. It's her choice. Period. It's not Sanscrotum's choice, or any of the team rape's choice. It isn't the Texas Governor's choice, and it shouldn't be their choice. It isn't Klaud's choice. Fuck, it wasn't even really my choice. That my wife and I made that choice together speaks volumes to her as a person. She could have just said, If I continue with this pregnancy, there are 3:1 to 4:1 odds that I'M GOING TO DIE, so I'm not doing it.

Or, she could have not told me.

But, ultimately, it's her choice. Period. By thinking that it's anyone else's choice, is to attempt to still hold some dominion over the woman, as if she is somehow inferior to anyone else, because of her pregnancy capabilities.

And, that's bullshit.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

Fridmarr wrote:And that's just more of the same. You can feebly try to wrap it up in a pretty bow with whatever justification you'd like to conjure, but racial and gender attacks are just that. They have no substance. Fuzzygeek pretty much nailed the summation of it.

In all of two minutes (because the list is in alphabetical order -- Donna Campbell) I find a member of the Texas Senate who says she's 100% pro life, is a woman and is also an emergency room physician (she is white though, so I'm not sure if that discounts her...). Now, I really don't know if she is in support of this bill or not, but that isn't really my point. There is no reason to believe that these sorts of legislation don't have supporters and opponents from a broad range of demographics. Hopefully based on the contents of the legislation and not the race or sex of the authors.


And in 30 seconds online, I found a member of the texas senate who believes that a rape kit in an ER can be used to keep you from becoming pregnant. Seriously.

Finding people who are mildly intelligent can be met by finding people who are completely ignorant, and they are all in the same political melting pot.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6349
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

Fridmarr wrote:We have 300 million people in our country, the percentage of which that identify themselves as pro-choice is less than half. Polling data shows that as the gestation gets later, the percentage of people opposed to abortion grows. I'm certain, that includes "plenty" of women. That said, those polls are national and not broken down by gender, so I don't know where exactly the women of Texas shake out. I can make an educated guess, which I did in that next sentence.

Okay, so "plenty" of women are against abortion later than 20 weeks. Define "plenty", and state your sources.

I'm not disagreeing with you here. I'm asking you to back up your assertions.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6812
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:53 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11025
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Passionario and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Passionario and 1 guest