Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

I completely agree. The town I live has had its fair share of tragedies where elementary and middle school kids take guns to the school and end up killing another kid there. Of course it doesnt make national news because... well, my town is basically Texas' armpit. No one cares about it.

Edit: Weird, i can only find records of one fatal shooting, from 1995, but I do recall another school shooting not much later. Did find records of another shooting where a kid is shot and killed by another kid at their house.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jabari » Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 am

Hmm, no posts here in a week. Nothing at all interesting must be happening in politics. At all. Nothing.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 16, 2013 8:00 am

No one replies anymore.

Irs. Yeah, they should be held accountable, but if i recall, some of these organizations were targeted for looking tax exempt status as a political group rather than for being a social welfare group, which do get tax exempt status. Heck, the bronies got a charity started and are now tax exempt!

Ap. ugh, yeah, someone needs to go to jail for this.

Benghazi? Said it before... Fake outrage.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm totally lost on your logic about the fake outrage.  When you claimed that outrage was fake, you were citing previous incidents with death numbers.  I fail to see how that is relevant.

That said, I'm sure there's plenty of grandstanding going on and the positions would be different with a different administration, but that would be across both parties.  Just be fair and recognize that.

Both the IRS thing and the AP thing are quite similar.  They both seem to be a grevious abuse of power.  Fortunately, the consequences on the IRS side seem minor.  On the media side, that is much harder to determine.  There is no rationalizing what happened, and attempts to do so are a little scary.  More transparency and oversight should be mandated to make sure that doesn't happen again.

For the record, I replied about the overtime/comp time legislation, but got no response (that was accurate) to suggest that the bill was anything less than a solid idea, much less anything backing the claim of it being a big load croak, anti-worker, and typical GOP scum.

I think what Jabari is getting at, is that it's been quiet because the homers are taking a beating right now in the news cycle.  If there was more objectivity, this thread would be hopping.  Maybe all the one sided outrage in this thread is fake?

Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Thu May 16, 2013 12:40 pm

The Benghazi stuff is just a partisan witch hunt. Nothing more, Nothing less.

I actually think the intro skit on SNL not too long ago was spot on.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Fortunately, the consequences on the IRS side seem minor.

The big consequence is that any hope of reform to curb abuse by that type of non-profit is now dead in the water.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 pm

There's little point in trying to have a conversation with a True Believer. If it's not a dialogue there's nothing useful to be gleaned.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Fridmarr wrote:For the record, I replied about the overtime/comp time legislation, but got no response (that was accurate) to suggest that the bill was anything less than a solid idea, much less anything backing the claim of it being a big load croak, anti-worker, and typical GOP scum.

I think what Jabari is getting at, is that it's been quiet because the homers are taking a beating right now in the news cycle.  If there was more objectivity, this thread would be hopping.  Maybe all the one sided outrage in this thread is fake?

I gotta say I overreacted to the comp time bill, probably because i've been on the receiving end of the abuse of that.

Yeah, I cannot actually go ahead and say I'll take the overtime, they force me into compensation time.

Anyways... I just cannot muster any outrage for Benghazi, specially when the GOP calls it worse than watergate, iran-contra and the pentagon papers COMBINED (yeah, they said that), and also because there were many more deaths under Bush at embassies/consulates but I dont remember the GOP being even remotely upset about it back then.

Like I said, don't get me wrong, any loss of human life is horrible, and its incredibly sad what happened at Benghazi, but the GOP is trying too hard to make it more than it really was -- specially when either Ryan or Paul said it was all about weakening Clinton for the '16 race.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 pm

As has been said, it's mostly a witch hunt. One that both parties eagerly engage in, but still a witch hunt. But that said, it's not the deaths that they are harping on, which is why the comments about death counts don't make much sense. It's the alleged coverup, and what exactly is being covered up that has their dander up.

As for overtime, are you sure you aren't exempt? Otherwise what they are doing is currently illegal and that wouldn't change (though that bill isn't going to see the light of day). If you are exempt, they don't have to give you jack shit, so getting comp time is a bonus and most definitely not abuse (the other possibility is that they are following a collective bargaining contract). I'm exempt as well so the bill wouldn't directly affect me.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Fridmarr wrote:As has been said, it's mostly a witch hunt. One that both parties eagerly engage in, but still a witch hunt. But that said, it's not the deaths that they are harping on, which is why the comments about death counts don't make much sense. It's the alleged coverup, and what exactly is being covered up that has their dander up.

As for overtime, are you sure you aren't exempt? Otherwise what they are doing is currently illegal and that wouldn't change (though that bill isn't going to see the light of day). If you are exempt, they don't have to give you jack shit, so getting comp time is a bonus and most definitely not abuse (the other possibility is that they are following a collective bargaining contract). I'm exempt as well so the bill wouldn't directly affect me.

Yeah, I agree there was a degree of cover-up, but calling it Iran-Contra+Watergate+Pentagon Papers times 10, as several GOP'rs and FOX News have called it, is so disingenuous that is probably the reason why they're not getting any traction whatsoever when trying to convince others something went on.

I mean, Dick Cheney is on record saying its the worse thing ever he can recall in his life.... I swear my eyes rolled back so hard I went blind for close to an hour.

And, no, I don't think I fall under Exempt status, seeing as like once a year, I do get paid overtime, but 95% of the extra-duty performed is given to me as comp time instead... oh yeah, I have to take it within the same month, at least as per our CTO >=/
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Oh right, you said you are a gov't employee. None of the standard rules probably apply. My point is, I don't think you can apply your situation to this proposed bill. You probably don't legally have a choice, but those covered by the bill would.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 am

I thought the point of the bill was to copy the system used by government employees?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fridmarr » Fri May 17, 2013 6:00 am

Absolutely not. The point of the bill is to give employees a choice in their compensation.

The reference to gov't was just to point out that some of them do have that choice now, and like it, so why not extend that choice to the private sector. One of the big critiques of the bill is that that reference is misleading because the gov't system was instituted to save money, not to give gov't employees a choice. The system that gov't employees have has always been a bit different than the private sector though.

Government doesn't really generate revenue, so the extra work put in by an employee is almost a pure cost, because the productivity can't be turned into revenue. From a budgetary perspective that extra cost can cause problems. In any event, gov't agencies can use comp time in lieu of overtime, legally. This bill does not allow that for the private sector. For the private sector comp time would only be available if the employer chooses to participate and then the employee has the choice of comp time or pay. If the employer does not participate then it's always overtime pay.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 am

My thanks to the NZ health care system. You Americans ought to get something like it.

My wife complained of strong stomach pains on Thursday evening. Took her to the emergency room. She got pain meds, x-rays, CT scan, and was diagnosed with a perforated stomach. Ambulance to North Shore hospital where they could do the surgery. Laporosccopy at 3 am, fixed a 1cm ulcer. Will be in hospital 5-7 days.

We have no private insurance. Out of pocket expense over and above taxes we pay: $0.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Sat May 18, 2013 5:26 am

I was in the hospital for less than 6 hrs. CT Scans, X-Rays. Turns out I had a kidney stone and had already pee'd it out. Didn't even get a room, instead was stuck buck naked 'cept for the hospital gown and my gurney was the whole time under an AC vent in the middle of the hallway. The doctor only saw me once, just to discharge me and to tell me I had kidney stones (captain obvious), and that I could drink a herbal tea known for helping flush out kidney stones.

Total expense: 8 grand, and the insurance only covered 6.5K out of it.
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum