Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:24 am

Aubade wrote:I think to get down to the issue some people have with Fox News is the fact that there are a large number of the voting public who take exactly what fox says (everything.) As fact, and think it has 0 spin.

There are close relatives of mine who have said to me "Obama is most definitely a muslim, there is proof, and he is a registered muslim"
To which I responded "Uhh, where did you see this? Is there proof? I find it extremely unlikely."
My relative: "It was on the news."
"Which news? Did they have a reliable source?"
"Fox News, so it's definitely reliable."

And they aren't kidding. This is my problem; they SAY they are an honest un-biased news source but anyone with an open mind and a drive for the truth can see this isn't true. The large majority of the Voting population (In more cases Republican than democrat) don't care to do any research, and don't believe that a news source would lie to them (GASP THAT'D BE BLASPHEMY) And that the people they put on their shows only speak 100% the truth.

They don't.
They know they have the credibility with a lot of people and take advantage of it.
I'm not defending Fox news, I'm indicting the other news services. You single out Fox news as if the other news services don't do that. They do. They are just as bad, they just spin a different direction.

And you don't have to look very far to find evidence of it. This thread has plenty of links. follow some of them. We had one that basically twisted Romney's words to say that he thought corporations were people but teachers were not, it was an absurd article and it came from CBS.

So if you're being honest, you should have the same problem with all of our mainstream media as you do with Fox.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:51 pm

Fridmarr wrote:So if you're being honest, you should have the same problem with all of our mainstream media as you do with Fox.

which i do anymore

i dont believe any of them 100%
and so tend to get news from several sources and try to piece them all together and come up with what the TRUE story is

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby aureon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I'm not defending Fox news, I'm indicting the other news services. You single out Fox news as if the other news services don't do that. They do. They are just as bad, they just spin a different direction.

And you don't have to look very far to find evidence of it. This thread has plenty of links. follow some of them. We had one that basically twisted Romney's words to say that he thought corporations were people but teachers were not, it was an absurd article and it came from CBS.

So if you're being honest, you should have the same problem with all of our mainstream media as you do with Fox.

No one ever said mainstream media is completely beyond reproach.
It's a matter of degree: Fox is the worst of the bunch, and by a mile. Then comes msnbc, and another mile later, all the mainstream media.

The GOP has a bad problem with facts, to the point that the phrase "Facts have a known liberal bias" is now a decade old.
aureon

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 am

They're basically the same. MSNBC is open about it, but they aren't any different than the others in degree either. A mile...seriously? A few months ago, in this very thread, it was like pulling teeth to get you to acknowledge MSNBC leaned left at all. "no democratic equivalent to fox news" despite MSNBC's obvious intent to be just that. They're pretty obviously not a mile away from Fox and they don't want to be either.

It stands to reason then that NBC doesn't fall to far from the MSNBC tree, especially with Matthew's hosting shows there too. Good grief just look at that dude's past, it's not exactly a primer on journalistic ethics. I actually like Matthews, but lets not pretend he doesn't obviously have an agenda.

I mentioned ABC's prime political figure Stephanopoulos earlier, he's a former Dukakis and Clinton campaign strategist. He became one of Clinton's policy advisers and semi press secretary, his allegiances are pretty clear. I could go on through daytime programming and the rest. The broadcast stations are a little more tame overall, but just because they don't spend a lot of time on politics, but when they do they have their own issues.

You can follow the media watch dog groups it you want, both sides have them. Granted they are biased too and are looking for a specific bent, but they have absolutely no shortage of garbage to sort through and they do tear apart plenty of nonsense. It's hard to objectively look at what the mainstream media is regularly producing and single out one station as if there is not a whole ton crap all around.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jabari » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am

Forget it, Frid. You tried, but rabbits gonna rabbit. *shrug*

Re: Media Bias - you have to look for what doesn't get reported. Whether that bit is a small detail (what party is the San Diego ex-mayor that gambled a ton her husband's charity money?), or complete blackout of stories (Bob Menendez?).

Which media is talking truthfully about the debt/deficit situation, and giving actual numbers? Oh yeah, none of them.

Nothing like this, certainly:
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=217892

@bldavis: Hopefully none of your sources are TV! (Just turn the damn thing off - you'll be better for it...)
There are a couple of overseas news sites that are pretty good to follow. Russia Today (really!), and the Asia Times are both fairly unbiased. Unfortunately, Lauren Lyster left RT - her financial/economics stuff for them was fantastic. (Plus, she's hot! *laugh*)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Shoju » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/22/vawa-2013_n_2742096.html

Fuck you, GOP

As far as this goes, I'm not surprised. It involves gaining grant money, and well... we know the republican house members opinions on that right? It's despicable, but I'm not surprised.

Klaudandus wrote:Wow... this is complete and utter crap
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/0 ... rporations
A bill introduced by Montana state Rep. Steve Lavin would give corporations the right to vote in municipal elections...

This... Well, this just absolutely scares the shit out of me, opening the door to all sorts of really fucked up things that could happen. I'm glad it was tabled. I'm hoping someone took him for a mental exam.

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/02/22/rick_perry_not_backing_off_opposition_to_medicaid_expansion_117133.html

Perry is basically saying that as a christian, he believes the best way to treat poor people who get sick is through miracles.

He's grandstanding. I've seen some news coming from Texas lately, that has me thinking the Dems are gaining some serious ground in the state. I think it could be a matter of time before there start to be some serious showdowns in the Texas Government (feel free to correct me if my "feeling" is not accurate.)
Shoju

Postby Nooska » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31 am

I find CNN international (which is the only "US" news network we get) to be fairly neutral in its reporting of both international news and US news - with only the typical western mslant of things. (Being an ignorance of the cultural differences that means that f.ex. arabs generally differ rhetorically from western nations).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

Off the top of your head, to which party do 7 of the top 10 richest congresscritters belong?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 am

Klaudandus wrote:7 are democrats, 3 are republicans

We have a winner -- Did you know that, or did you google it just now? If you knew before, what was the context of learning that? I'm curious.

Looking it up kind of defeats the purpose of the question. I'd've been interested to see people's gut instincts. Oh well.

I had a conversation with a friend who's from Massachusetts and as Blue as Blue gets. He was decrying rich corporate old republican white guys overwhelming the government, and was quite startled to learn that rich republicans do not dominate. The bit about old white guys, however, is kind of true -- Feinstein is the only woman in the top 10.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm

I had a hunch.

Then I googled it and confirmed it.

Still, the dems dont seem to go out of their way to screw the little guy, or the gays, or clamp down on evil vaginas...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Jabari » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Still, the dems dont seem to go out of their way to screw the little guy <snip>

Have you seen what the PPACA has done to small businesses and the "average guy"? With numbers?
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Koatanga » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Speaking of health care, some idiots out there have been told by other idiots that vaccinations can cause autism, so they refuse to have their kids immunised.

I just want to say that they are FREAKING IDIOTS. Unfortunately, as a result of their idiocy, preventable diseases that could otherwise be wiped out get spread around the population. My lovely daughter now has a very mild (because she's immunised) case of whooping cough.

That's like medieval crap that should have been stamped out along with the plague and the crusades. It's ridiculous that in this day and age people should be able to catch something that has had a vaccine for ages.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby bldavis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm

even if they were tied to autism, you can lead a full and fairly normal life with autism

my sisters both have it and they are both in college, the younger one is in vet tech program
autism isnt a death sentence...all it means is life is a little more interesting

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum