Careless Banking?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Careless Banking?

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 am

"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Jabari wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:I log into my online banking at least once a month... that doesn't necessarily mean I pay attention to all of the charges.

Which I think is ok, as long as you're looking closely enough at it to make sure there isn't anything weird there (i.e., you'd catch what started this thread in the first place).

Wife is an accountant, so I get to go through every single receipt. I can understand not wanting to do that, though it really doesn't take all THAT long. It's more of a pain to remember to put all the receipts in the box - I always seem to end up with a couple stragglers in my car or wherever. *laugh*

I've never been poor, at least by what I'd define as poor, and I have no real expenses that I can't just go without if money were to get tight.

I have a general enough knowledge of how much is/should be in my bank account where I'd notice if somebody in Singapore ordered 6000 soccer balls using my credit card info, and my Financial Institution is wonderful and very good at recognizing, preventing, and fixing any identity theft.

So I don't worry about it.
If, once or twice a year, I overpay for something or get double charged for something, and lose less than a hundred bucks, I am OK with that.
I consider it worth it due to the benefit of money simply not being a source of stress in my life. I work hard enough already without needing to to add to it by counting beans over amounts that aren't even significant to me at all.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Aubade » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Well shit brekkie, throw me some of those big numbers. I'll stress out over them for you =P
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Aubade wrote:Well shit brekkie, throw me some of those big numbers. I'll stress out over them for you =P
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 am

I have to agree with Brekkie. If I happen to notice a charge on my account, I might call the bank and say "wtf?" but it definitely isn't a source of stress. Honestly, anyone in the military should be able to fairly easily have money when they need it, unfortunately, many of them have a lot of new found "freedom" and more money than they're used to... so it gets squandered on frivilous things, and then when it comes time to actually pay for something they need, they don't have it.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:24 am

Caught a fraudulent charge on our credit card just this morning. Called up the bank and they're already putting a dispute on it and giving us the money back.

It literally IS that easy to get your money recuperated - so long as you notice it immediately. (The charge was on March 5.)

Edit: Actually, it was kind of hilarious. The charge was for some limousine company on Invis' card this past Monday night. Since I'm the primary cardholder I had to dispute the charge and I can only imagine what they're thinking on the other side of the phone as I'm like "No, I double checked with my husband, he has not idea what this charge is on his card...."
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Hahaha, that's funny. Reminds me of some crazy Hangover-esque scenario.

Being in the military in particular is pretty stress-free as far as finances, and anyone who has trouble is just spending their money on stupid commitments and things they don't need that are beyond their means (though I suppose you could say that this is true in the civilian world as well, but I wouldn't know).
Particularly if you go overseas. I came out of my most recent deployment with $25k in the bank. They have this great thing called the Savings Deposit Program which allows you to basically deposit all your paychecks you get while you are deployed into what is basically a mutual fund with a Federally guaranteed high rate of return, and then get all the money out once you return to the states. Not to mention going Tax Free for almost a year (which includes any bonuses you get for re-enlisting or whatever. I've heard of officers flying into a combat zone just to re-enlist and then flying back out the next day, resulting in their entire bonus being tax free). Although, with the draw down, bonuses are pretty much non-existent now (just in time for me to re-up too! dagnammit)
War is a racket.

At any rate, the way I look at money is different from the way other people look at money. Some people grew up viewing it as a life line, and obsess over it. Those are the people you see stressing out over whether they can afford to order the steak or not when you go out to dinner, or who will not buy something that they need because "the price was too high". I just can't relate to that.
I just view money as an enabler for a cascade of priorities. Everything I need and want is ranked, and I spend whatever it costs to acquire those priorities, in order, descending downward until I run out of money or decide the benefits of saving outweigh the importance of things further down the list. At which point I just stop.

And that's always been easy for me.
The cost of the things at the top of the list never bother me. They cost whatever they cost. Why stress it? They are things that are important so I will get them regardless.
And the things that I can't get, lower down on the list, don't bother me either. I'll get them one day. If they were more important, I'd get them now, but they aren't yet. So why stress over things that aren't that important when all the things that are I have?

I know people that fanatically check receipts and can't remember what your birthday is but know with absolute certainty which one of you bought dinner or a drink for the other last and have this constant tally running in their head. And I can understand why they do it, but I just can't relate. The difference having that mentality makes seems so minor in actual money saved, and there are things that are so much more important to be thinking about and enjoying.

That doesn't mean I always spend money responsibly. I've had wild nights in Thailand or Dubai or downtown Jacksonville that I absolutely regretted in the morning when I looked at my account balance. But those times of irresponsibility also created amazing stories that I will tell of at parties and remember for the rest of my life. If I hadn't spent that money, I would have gotten something else a little further down on my priorities cascade, like a couple new pairs of shoes or a sofa chair.

When I am old and grey sitting in my retirement home with my USMC Veteran hat on with all the little pins and patches, it won't be that sofa chair I'll be telling the whippersnappers about with a gleam in my eye.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum