Remove Advertisements

Just Gotta Say...

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Dazhbog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Arnock wrote:I'm not sure, the whole thing was somewhat hard to follow.

Pretty much this. I didn't find the story compelling or interesting. It was written in a rather drab and childish manner as well.


Yes, well, I wrote it at midnight-1am. It's certainly not my best piece ever. Just wanted to say something for National Coming Out Day, since it's important to me. Make of it what you will.
Image
User avatar
Dazhbog
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Pig and Whistle Tavern

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 am

Nikachelle wrote:It's only rude because he's unaware that it's supporting Coming Out Day.


Actually I was aware of it. The length and poor writing made it TL;DR.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 am

Nikachelle wrote:It's only rude because he's unaware that it's supporting Coming Out Day.


no it was rude because instead of posting constructive criticism, he just spouted off some internet meme
i will admit, it wasnt the best written, and the ending threw me for a loop, but i read it all
when someone puts forth the effort to write something like that, and is willing open themselves up for all kinds of shit by posting it....bravo to them!

maybe its because i love writing, but i could never bring myself to post something like that, but i think a post of just TL;DR is immensely rude and is the lowest form of douchebaggery
i understand if you dont like it, or you have a problem with how it was written, all i a saying is you should post THAT!
SAY that you didnt enjoy it due to its writing style, or that it was too hard to follow

idgara what subject a story is on, it could be anything from 2 zebras falling in love to the plotting of an assassination in full detail (hopefully fictional though...)
i will read anything that short and try to give a critique if i can
unfortunately my internet went out last night mid-reply typing

honestly if TL;DR is the best you can come up with to post, shut your yap and dont post anything
esp as a first post
if i were to post a story i had written, esp about a subject that i cared about, and all i got as a reply was TL;DR, i would be pissed and have my soul-crushed at the same time

the author put time and effort into the story, at least you can take time to read it and give some advice/commentary on it
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7347
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Aubade » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 am

So.

I just need to speak up on this TL;DR issue.

It wasn't rude.

The only reason you guys are getting up in arms about it is the fact it touches on gay rights/coming out day, if it was a different issue, you'd just ignore the post entirely. Now lets put down the gay pitchforks, and CALM THE FUCK DOWN.
Jeez.



Interesting story btw. I've never seen someone bite their lip in something that wasn't a "sexy" moment, so that part confused me a little.
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4877
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Petrus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Image

I love Star Trek's actors.

Neat story, but I was also confused by the ending and TL;DR'd a little at first because it didn't exactly draw me in. Like others in the thread, I didn't realize it was about nat'l coming out day until I read later posts in the thread and then went back to read the story.
User avatar
Petrus
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 am
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Aubade wrote:It wasn't rude.

The only reason you guys are getting up in arms about it is the fact it touches on gay rights/coming out day, if it was a different issue, you'd just ignore the post entirely. Now lets put down the gay pitchforks, and CALM THE FUCK DOWN.
Jeez.

actually if it was the first post after a story like that...yes i would care
i could care less if it was natl coming out day, natl weiner dog day, or natl punt-a-gnome day....
just re-read my previous post to see what i said about it



that is if its not TL;DR

:twisted:
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7347
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 pm

TL;DR is a very clear indication of the quality of the writing.

I guess I could have gone with TL;PW;DR
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Dazhbog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Flex wrote:TL;DR is a very clear indication of the quality of the writing.

I guess I could have gone with TL;PW;DR


TL;DR quite literally indicates the person who says it "did not read" whatever they're talking about. So no, it makes no indication of the quality of the writing. Which, as I said, is in fact pretty poor =P
Image
User avatar
Dazhbog
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Pig and Whistle Tavern

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Despite the quality, I enjoyed the read. Though I do wonder if the bullying stopped after that... realistically I would imagine it probably didn't, but then I didn't write it ;).
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Candiru » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:30 pm

In school it seems that anything which stands out is a reason to get bullied. Whether thats your hobbies, your music preferences, or some aspect of your sexuality. I wouldn't tell the whole school I played WoW as it is giving bullies ammo. I also wouldn't tell them my sexual prefernces or state of virginity.

When you leave school and go to uni / get a job you realise that no-one cares about your sexual preferences. If someone I worked with 'came out' I'd give them a giant 'who cares?' and wonder what took them so long! I guess Cambridge is a rather liberal place though, and its worse in more religious/prejediced places.

Not quite sure what my message is, other than kids be cruel, don't give the schoolyard bullies any ammo you don't have to.
Image
Candiru
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Oddly enough, despite being a gamer/nerd/band geek/choir boy/"outcast"... I never had an issue with being bullied. There was a girl who spread rumors about carrying my child (and considering I'm still a virgin at this point in time, they were definitely just rumors.) Mostly I just ignored her though, since she was known to be a habitual liar. I guess there were also rumblings about my sexuality, though at the time I hadn't really considered that I actually WAS gay... not that I was checking out guys or anything, and had GFs throughout the majority of my HS years. Maybe I just had a thick skin, and none of the bullying was ever physical so I didn't notice it. /shrug
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Belloc » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:33 am

No one ever pays attention to TL;DR posts any other time -- why start now?

Personally, I thought the TL;DR was funny. The post was, in fact, quite long and I can understand why someone, as a result, would not read it. This is a forum and long posts are usually passed over by a significant portion of the audience.

TL;DR is an appropriate way to critique a post of this length on a forum. It's also an incredibly easy post to ignore if you happened to like the story. Why comment on TL;DR when there is an actual topic to comment on?
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Brekkie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I often use TL;DR in the sense of meaning "I STARTED reading this...but it was just such goddamn terrible mind-vomit that it was physically painful to read, and so I stopped reading it a very short way into it and was so turned off by the whole experience that I no longer cared what the remainder said."

Additional thoughts:

-Never heard of "National Coming Out Day".

-It doesn't even strike me as making much sense. Are people supposed to come out on that day? That seems silly, because either A)the decision to do so is serious business for you, in which case the timing of it should be based on whether you are ready, or B)it isn't serious business for you, in which case why the hell are you being all melodramatic about hiding it in the first place?

-I wrote something really long here and in the end just deleted it all. It can pretty much be summarized by "People in general need to stop being such pussies".

-I find the whole "coming out" thing to be melodramatic and unnecessary. Anyone who is truly close to you is going to know such a fundamental thing about you anyway, and anyone who is not probably doesn't care unless you make it a huge deal because it doesn't affect them and isn't really their business. You could make the whole thing a lot less doom-laden if you just called it "so I finally had that conversation with my family I've been meaning to have". To which the response is "That's cool I guess. Let's go get sushi!"

-A Gay Civil Rights Activist was mentioned earlier. Not sure what civil rights it is felt homosexuals lack. Serious question. Because institutionally speaking, they lack none as far as I can think of. Don't say marriage, because it is perfectly possible to do all the important legal functionality of a union already, and beyond that marriage is just a word, mostly religiously defined, and you're free to make your own religion and call your partnership whatever the heck you want. It's just semantics. And besides, is marriage really a civil right? I'm sure if you asked me to define the scope of civil rights before raising this topic, the definition I'd think of wouldn't really fall across marriage anyway.

-From an anthropological standpoint, I think this whole business of labels is silly. Sexuality isn't binary, its a sliding scale, which is another way of saying that all humans are bisexual and it's a question of degree. Males aren't really straight or gay, they are just Horny. And females aren't really straight or gay, they are just Receptive. It only really became a big deal because certain religions made it a big deal, just like some religions made what color you wear or what type of meat you eat on Fridays into a big deal, and defined in stark black and white terms, but there's really no anthropological basis for it. There's really no necessity for categories based on what you stick your genitals in. Sometimes it results in offspring, sometimes it doesn't. But by that basis, why don't we have stark categories of "People who wear rubber thingies on their penises", "People who do not wear rubber thingies on their penises", and "People who could go other way because it depends..."?

-Having seen actual oppression, I can't help but yawn when someone starts talking about how tough they have it as Group X in America.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Fivelives » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Just because a subject is touchy or complex doesn't mean that all derivative works on that subject have some sort of inherent meaning or value.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Just Gotta Say...

Postby Dazhbog » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Brekkie wrote:I often use TL;DR in the sense of meaning "I STARTED reading this...but it was just such goddamn terrible mind-vomit that it was physically painful to read, and so I stopped reading it a very short way into it and was so turned off by the whole experience that I no longer cared what the remainder said."

Additional thoughts:

-Never heard of "National Coming Out Day".

-It doesn't even strike me as making much sense. Are people supposed to come out on that day? That seems silly, because either A)the decision to do so is serious business for you, in which case the timing of it should be based on whether you are ready, or B)it isn't serious business for you, in which case why the hell are you being all melodramatic about hiding it in the first place?

-I wrote something really long here and in the end just deleted it all. It can pretty much be summarized by "People in general need to stop being such pussies".


National Coming Out Day is more of a day to support those who cannot otherwise speak up for themselves, although there is an attitude of encouragement along with it. Before you say, "Well, they should have the balls to speak up," I'll point out that in a lot of places someone who publicly identifies themselves as not heterosexual risks physical violence and quite possibly death, or at least serious injury. What I wrote, while somewhat of a garble, is based in part on my own life; I've actually been that kid in the auditorium, feeling the need to say something important (I was much less blunt and a lot more babbly, but I had the excuse of being somewhat socially timid and it being high school). I've known kids who were picked on, bullied, had physical harm come to them simply for not being afraid to show who they were.

So, yeah, "stop being a pansy" doesn't really cut it when someone's afraid to come out because they might get seriously hurt or worse, and that's why I do what little I can to raise awareness. Even if it's just through poorly written story bits =P
Image
User avatar
Dazhbog
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:17 am
Location: Pig and Whistle Tavern

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arjuna and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Arjuna and 1 guest