Remove Advertisements

Plotholes You Noticed In Your Favorite Movies

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Plotholes You Noticed In Your Favorite Movies

Postby Lightbeard » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I ask this because I just got through watching Back to the Future (one of my favorite classics).

I haven't seen it for a while but it just struck me.

After Marty befriends his mom and dad and saves their marriage and years later they have a kid.

Did they just completely ignore that their child resembles George's high school best friend and the mom's high school crush? Biff now works for the McFly's, which seems to imply they've forgiven him for attempting to rape Lorraine on prom night.

It wasn't that long for them to completely forget. Just somethings that struck me after I watched it.
Lightbeard

Re: Plotholes You Noticed In Your Favorite Movies

Postby Arnock » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 am

Certainly would't call it one of my favorite movies, but there's a big point in Star Wars Ep. I that always bothered me.

When they were stranded on tatooine, the reason given was that watto wouldn't take the republic currency, so they couldn't buy a new hyperdrive.

However, wouldn't there have been pilots or smugglers that travel offworld who would have been happy to take their money? I mean, it's not like there's no precedent or anything...

Furthermore, if they couldn't find a pilot, wouldn't it still be easier to sell this nice, shiny, expensive-looking ship, for a cheaper, yet functioning ship?

Nope, instead they risk everything on betting on a race...
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:31 am

Arnock wrote:Certainly would't call it one of my favorite movies, but there's a big point in Star Wars Ep. I that always bothered me.

When they were stranded on tatooine, the reason given was that watto wouldn't take the republic currency, so they couldn't buy a new hyperdrive.

However, wouldn't there have been pilots or smugglers that travel offworld who would have been happy to take their money? I mean, it's not like there's no precedent or anything...

Furthermore, if they couldn't find a pilot, wouldn't it still be easier to sell this nice, shiny, expensive-looking ship, for a cheaper, yet functioning ship?

Nope, instead they risk everything on betting on a race...

IMO you bring up "reasoning" more than "plotholes"

It's sensible that they could have somehow found someone to take their currency or traded ships..

A plot hole at least to me is that they mention in episode 1 that slaves have an explosive in them that detonates if they try to escape.. but they never revealed if this was either 1) a myth or 2) removed.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Aerron » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 am

Arnock wrote:Certainly would't call it one of my favorite movies, but there's a big point in Star Wars Ep. I that always bothered me.

You could explain that though as the difference between the Republic and the Empire. The Republic is non-expansive, more of an inclusion by invitation club. The Empire is a growing, expansive entity gobbling up systems.

So in this case, the Republic really doesn't care about widening its sphere of influence as far out as some backwater as Tatooine. But by the time of the Empire, there's major spaceports and maybe even a garrison there.

Sweet, maxed out on nerdpoints for the day. I'll go watch ESPN or somethin.
Aerron

Postby Dantriges » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, abit strange that Watto doesn´t take Republic coins. It´s the biggest power in the galaxy after all.

Tattooine doesn´t look like it has a strong stable government that issues money.

Even if the planet has his own currency, money exchange is quite common today. There should be someone able to exchange your coin into local currency.

With Tatooine´s reputation as a haven for smugglers and criminals, I think that many smugglers would be happy to get rid of their Tatooine dollars before going into republic controlled space. Would be an invitation for a thorough search by customs officers otherwise.

Ah well, seems you can find info about everything in SWverse. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Credit_Standard

Seems no one wanted to touch the credit unless necessary in the Rim. Still weird. Sould be like refusing dollars or Euro. At least some people who do money exchange should be available.
Dantriges

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:05 am

Lightbeard wrote:It wasn't that long for them to completely forget. Just somethings that struck me after I watched it.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that they wouldn't have perfect memory of some guy's face after 1) they only knew him for a few days, and 2) Their child wouldn't've looked like "Marty" until many years after he was born, by which point memory fades even more, and they associate this face with their child.

Also not really a plot hole, per se.

This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:19 am

I can't remember exactly, but the finale of Star Trek TNG had some pretty shady physics/timelines iirc. I CBA to post the details, but something about the timelines of the 3 Enterprises didn't add up to them all occupying the same area/time. I think it was that the "anomaly" would have happened in the past for Riker's ship, and travelling backwards in time, not the future, preventing him from being able to affect it at all.

Yeah, I don't have much.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 am

cerwillis wrote:I can't remember exactly, but the finale of Star Trek TNG had some pretty shady physics/timelines iirc. I CBA to post the details, but something about the timelines of the 3 Enterprises didn't add up to them all occupying the same area/time. I think it was that the "anomaly" would have happened in the past for Riker's ship, and travelling backwards in time, not the future, preventing him from being able to affect it at all.

Yeah, I don't have much.

Reading this =

"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby cerwillis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:23 am

I think that we settled on the idea that the anomaly radiates out from one point in time, expanding backwards and forwards.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:It wasn't that long for them to completely forget. Just somethings that struck me after I watched it.

Doesn't seem unreasonable that they wouldn't have perfect memory of some guy's face after 1) they only knew him for a few days, and 2) Their child wouldn't've looked like "Marty" until many years after he was born, by which point memory fades even more, and they associate this face with their child.

Also not really a plot hole, per se.

This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?

I could see that but even though they only knew Marty for a few days. He basically changed their lives. He was basically George's best friend and all Lorraine wanted to do was bone him.
Lightbeard

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 am

cerwillis wrote:I can't remember exactly, but the finale of Star Trek TNG had some pretty shady physics/timelines iirc. I CBA to post the details, but something about the timelines of the 3 Enterprises didn't add up to them all occupying the same area/time. I think it was that the "anomaly" would have happened in the past for Riker's ship, and travelling backwards in time, not the future, preventing him from being able to affect it at all.

Yeah, I don't have much.

Out of all the Star Trek plothole driven episodes ever written, you take THATONE as an example? :P
The finale if one of the best pieces ever created with the TNG crew, the fact that it has plotholes big enough for the ship to pass through doesnt bother me when compared to "real" plotholes in the Star Trek universe :P

I think its amusing that in the movie Generations, The Enterprise B is apparently the ONLY ship within the solar system, and the only ship to warp to rescue something 3 lightyears away from earth orbit (the closest star to the sun is 4lightyears away for referance)

And all the endless technobabble to solve everything :P it gets hilarious at times ^^ and it is a reason why i do like the shows, even great movies have obvious plotholes, i guess the best movies are those where you dont really think about them when watching it for the first time :P
Treck

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:32 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?

The major plot hole for me was, if he was really smart and could learn anything in a matter of days (tops). Why couldn't he just learn chemistry and how to make his own pills? -SPOILER- We know it's possible, and he could probably even do it faster than the guy he hired to. -SPOILER-
Jeremoot

Postby gibborim » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah, I don't have much.

No such thing as a plothole when Q is involved.
gibborim

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Jeremoot wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?

The major plot hole for me was, if he was really smart and could learn anything in a matter of days (tops). Why couldn't he just learn chemistry and how to make his own pills? -SPOILER- We know it's possible, and he could probably even do it faster than the guy he hired to. -SPOILER-

It's implied that he kind of did end up doing this at the end, and set up multiple labs and whatnot. But yes, the whole limited-supply nature of the pills was kind of forced.

Also, wtb pills.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm

gibborim wrote:No such thing as a plothole when Q is involved.

Not in that episode atleast, but the Q's themselves leave pretty big plotholes ^^ or maybe thats what they want us to think? :P
Treck

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum