Remove Advertisements

Norway takes WoW and Call of Duty off shelves

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Norway takes WoW and Call of Duty off shelves

Postby Thalia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2926885995

Not all stores I think but some major ones there are pulling out Call of Duty and WoW because that excuse for a human being who murdered so many people last month claimed to have played these games.

Thoughts? I know the news isn't so fresh but I'm curious if one nutbag taints all other responsible gamers. IMO just because one rotten apple is found in the tree it shouldn't mean you have to chop down the entire tree.

Really WoW violent..? I mean i know we PvP and all but if they are going to ban everything that might have been part of this dude's life then they are going to have to ban a lot of things.

It's not a government mandated thing so those retailers have every right to do it. Just wondering what you guys think?
Thalia

Re: Norway takes WoW and Call of Duty off shelves

Postby Astronomic » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

He prolly ate a sandwich too.... they should ban all sandwiches
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Dantriges » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 pm

He probably played hide and go seek in his childhood and cops&robbers(correct name?), too.

If he actually played violent games, he played them because he was attracted to violence, not the other way round. WoW a game that creates killers. Yeah sure. His crimes are horrible, people look for the usual scapegoats to assure themselves that they did something.

Stupid idea but seems to be hardwired in our brains, since the stone age. Drought? Someone offended the gods. Expel him. No scapegoat, ge a volunteer up to the top of the pyramid, to sacrifice himself for the greater good, the Plague, the cats are in league with the devil, the jews poisoned the wells, whatever. The 80s, D&D poisons our kids and seduces them to devil worship. Or Rockn´Roll.

One guy got mad ideas in his brain, must be this game, we don´t understand and only "weird" people play.

Dumb idea as usual, accomplishes nothing but making people feel more secure and proactive. They did something. Yeah, shooting themselves in their feet would accomplish the same. Nothing. Ok Doctors would earn more money. :wink:
Dantriges

Postby Arnock » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:45 pm

I have never played call of duty, and I have never killed anyone. Clearly there's a correlation and call of duty MUST BE BANNED!
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Daeren » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 pm

<---- From Norway

It's been discussed a bit, and some know-it-alls always comes and blames video games, as always. People are stupid.

BUT, this from Coop and Platekompaniet is in my opinion a shameless way to gain more PR. As other people have said before you, he ate, drank, read books, watched movies and read books. Yet somehow, only games get targeted.
I guess you would call it fear of the unknown, but for businesses to actually turn this into a PR-stunt is quite bad.
Then again, I guess it's no worse than media already trying to sell from catastrophes, and sometimes hurting people readl bad in the process.
Daeren

Postby Arjuna » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:01 am

Welcome back to the 90s, where you apparently were a satanist as soon as you played roleplaying games! At least in Sweden. It was a huge uproar, even my parents had a 'talk' with me about my interests and stuff. "Old people" just didn't understand even when we told them... :P

Well, the thing about the games in Norway is silly and stupid! The games are available online anyway...
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Treck » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 am

Video games are a new media, people are always scared of new things.
The "video games makes you a terrorist" arguments are only cuz the older generation who controls the world has no insight on the matter.
In a generation or 2, this is most likely going not even going to be a topic of discussion, since EVERYONE has grown up with video games, and only a very small minority who is crazy allready, turns bad.

The removal of the games is also ONLY a way for the ignorant shopowners to show they dont support terrorists.
These shopowners beeing from an earlier generation who again, has no clue about it anyway, but they show to other ignorant people how they show their support, even if its useless for the cause itself.
Treck

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:22 am

Arjuna wrote:Welcome back to the 90s, where you apparently were a satanist as soon as you played roleplaying games! At least in Sweden. It was a huge uproar, even my parents had a 'talk' with me about my interests and stuff. "Old people" just didn't understand even when we told them... :P

Well, the thing about the games in Norway is silly and stupid! The games are available online anyway...

Hehehe, sometimes we players aren't quite helping the newbies :p

Reminds me of an Exalted game where after some heated discussion one of the players just had to scream out loud "Who cares that he's beloved by his people, I'm removing his head with sandpaper. And you will eat his soul if you know what's good for you!"

In the middle of a public square.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Firas » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 am

The world is at risk from us wow players, ALL ~11 million of us are likely to just start shooting everyone and everything.
Firas

Postby Dantriges » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:32 am

So what will the next generation find to blame after video games fall out of favor? :wink:
Dantriges

Postby Dantriges » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 am

Snake-Aes wrote:Reminds me of an Exalted game where after some heated discussion one of the players just had to scream out loud "Who cares that he's beloved by his people, I'm removing his head with sandpaper. And you will eat his soul if you know what's good for you!"

In the middle of a public square.

Limit break or just playing the arrogant godking with no regard for mortal lives?
Dantriges

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:58 am

We were rather caught up in the "violently dismembering anyone who gets in our way" part of our motto: "Spreading freedom, happiness, a desire to live and violently dismembering anyone who gets in our way". We have a Fae pet since then.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Angelarc6570 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 am

Everyone needs someone to blame, and seeing as how they can't physically get to the guy who did it, they are using these video games as their first and probably not last scapegoat.

Its a method that won't go away anytime TOO soon.
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 am

At one point it was music, now it's video games. It'll shift eventually
Lightbeard

Postby Treck » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am

Lightbeard wrote:At one point it was music, now it's video games. It'll shift eventually

In a generation or 2, people are gonna start reading books again.
Then we can blame the books for creating violence!
Treck

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum