Old School Games

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Old School Games

Postby Mcduffie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:52 pm

That should go on a t-shirt: "I used to play the shit out of F-Zero." With a Blue Falcon car on the front. Or the Green Goose. Or the red one, whatever it was called. There was some sort of new version that I remember playing. On gamecube, maybe? It was not NEARLY as enjoyable.
Mcduffie

Postby Aubade » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:16 am

Blue falcon IMO. So you could blue falcon someone while you wore it!
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Candiru » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 am

I played FZero-X on the N64 a lot. It was a great game. You could fly off the track if you went too fast on sharp bends, but if you did it tactically you could glide and land ahead skipping a large section of track. That and ruthlessly killing your closest competitor by nudging them off the track :)
Candiru

Postby Mcduffie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 am

Candiru wrote:I played FZero-X on the N64 a lot. It was a great game. You could fly off the track if you went too fast on sharp bends, but if you did it tactically you could glide and land ahead skipping a large section of track. That and ruthlessly killing your closest competitor by nudging them off the track :)

This would be the version I hated.

You could also do all those things on the Super Nintendo version.
Mcduffie

Postby cakeftw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Vagrant story anyone? and terranigma?
cakeftw

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 pm

I still have a shrinkwrapped Vagrant Story I haven't started yet either. Man I need to get on this.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby cakeftw » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:41 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I still have a shrinkwrapped Vagrant Story I haven't started yet either. Man I need to get on this.

Be prepared for random "Haha fuck you player" difficulty spikes when enemies switch to a type youve not fought yet and dont have a weapon for
cakeftw

Postby Xenix » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 am

cakeftw wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I still have a shrinkwrapped Vagrant Story I haven't started yet either. Man I need to get on this.

Be prepared for random "Haha fuck you player" difficulty spikes when enemies switch to a type youve not fought yet and dont have a weapon for

Yeah, until you figure out a good pair of abilities to chain, and get the timing perfect so you can do it with 100% risk (with one or both of them being a +1 dmg/chain ability). From there you can just continue chaining until you mess up to beat practically any enemy in one attack. Downside is it'll annihilate the durability on your weapon if you get up to 40+ hits, but at least you'll survive.

The intro on Vagrant Story was awesome - "We should wait here for reinforcements." "Reinforcements? I -am- the reinforcements." :lol:

I'm quite surprised no one mentioned Xenogears though - that's one of the few old-school games I have no problem playing through again, until I get to the 5-hour movie (aka disc 2). :roll:

Also, Valkyrie Profile (the original, re-made as VP: Lenneth for PSP, I believe), was awesome. Still have it on the original PS1 discs, bought for ~$40 before it was remade as a greatest hits.
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Daeren » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:14 am

I have played qutie a bit of games, but as you can see, there's alot more strategy than RPG here.

Dune 2
TMNT for NES (this explains how unforgiving and annoying it is to beat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg)
Operation C (Contra port for Game Boy)
Worms (best physics and most fun, but later games were fun as well, but they had too much OP weapons)
Command & Conquer
Red Alert
Heroes of Might & Magic 2 and 3
Zelda: A link to the past
Warcraft 1 & 2
Starcraft (I remember daisy-chaining serial cables)
Duke Nukem
Need for speed 2
Reunion
Death Rally
Interstate 76
King's Quest VII
Populous 1 & 2
Savage
Counterstrike
Diablo 1 & 2
Simcity classic and 2000
Colonization
Civilization 2
Rise & Rule
Settlers 2
Lords of the Realm 2
Carmageddon 2
Haven

and my personal favorite
Imperium Galactica 1 & 2. I wish they could make sometihng as awesome as these games...

Right now, I'm working on Final Fantasy 1. I have to play it at many times normal speed to get anywhere.
Daeren

Postby Koatanga » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:31 pm

HOMM II & III (especially WoG)
Wing Commander I and II
Space Quest IV
Duke Nukem
Shadowgate
Deja Vu
Dark Castle
Unreal
Need for Speed

I desperately wish they would re-release Wing Commander with updated graphics. I loved the gameplay.

Shadowgate turned me on to the item-based-quest genre, but had the magic element to it, which makes things non-intuitive. If you find a rock you have no way of knowing to combine it with a stick to form the Scepter of Opening, and once you have the Scepter you have no way of knowing what it might open. Space Quest IV was my favourite of the IBQ genre, because of its humour and intuitive (if you thought about it hard enough) use of mundane objects. I loved the bit in SQ-IV where you go back in time and the graphics change to EGA.

Hrm, it occurs to me I may be one of the only people here to have played games in EGA graphics...
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Daeren » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Daeren

Postby Mcduffie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Oooh, I just remembered Ultraman.
Mcduffie

Postby Arjuna » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am

Haven't seen much about one of the best rts games ever: DUNE 2!!! :D

Love it!
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 am

Mcduffie wrote:
Candiru wrote:I played FZero-X on the N64 a lot. It was a great game. You could fly off the track if you went too fast on sharp bends, but if you did it tactically you could glide and land ahead skipping a large section of track. That and ruthlessly killing your closest competitor by nudging them off the track :)

This would be the version I hated.

You could also do all those things on the Super Nintendo version.

I enjoyed doing the matches where you have to do the "Spin attack" to kill your competitors.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 am

Daeren wrote:Right now, I'm working on Final Fantasy 1. I have to play it at many times normal speed to get anywhere.

In my day we walked everywhere at glacial speeds and we liked it!

(in the snow uphill both ways etc.)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum