Portal 2

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Portal 2

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 am

Shathus wrote:I started playing the first Portal last night. I definitely started feeling a bit... 'off' after awhile of going through portals and the ones the flip you around and rotate the screen. I blame getting older.

I know what you mean. It takes some practice but then you'll be less bothered by it, I think. I found myself using wall-portals more than floor/ceiling ones, too, probably for that reason.

If you stick with Steam, it'll pay off. Being able to have a back-catalog of (legally) downloadable games that survive system nukes/crashes, and can be loaded up elsewhere, is awesome. Saying, "Oh hey, let's pay $10, and go to sleep, and have Deus Ex installed and ready to go in the morning" is awesome. I just wish I could change my account name, as when I created it, I used my e-mail address at the time as the account name. So ... now no one can search for my username. ^_^ Getting deals on indie games or the like are also neat, but mainly it's the convenience factor, and that I like their handling of the DRM better than anyone else's besides Stardock's.
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 am

Sabindeus wrote:There are several "action" type puzzle solutions in Portal 1 where you have to fire portals while falling in and out of portals with your perspective rotation 180 degrees and such. Those are definitely the worst offenders. Portal 2 doesn't have any of those. The puzzles in Portal 2 are definitely more of the "rube goldberg machine" variety, where you have to think like 10 steps ahead, then execute one thing that sets into motion a whole ridiculous sequence of flinging yourself around until you're at your desired end state.

Yeah, I remember one or two later levels where you had to "bounce" to platforms of increasing height, which meant you were turning head to tails every couple of seconds.

It's funny - in Portal 2 they've added all these new mechanics that you're meant to use to solve the puzzles, but I still keep finding myself trying to use the old tricks with just portals. Unfortunately, the creators seem to have anticipated and prevented most of the tricks this time, so that each room can only really be solved the "correct" way.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:07 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:There are several "action" type puzzle solutions in Portal 1 where you have to fire portals while falling in and out of portals with your perspective rotation 180 degrees and such. Those are definitely the worst offenders. Portal 2 doesn't have any of those. The puzzles in Portal 2 are definitely more of the "rube goldberg machine" variety, where you have to think like 10 steps ahead, then execute one thing that sets into motion a whole ridiculous sequence of flinging yourself around until you're at your desired end state.

Yeah, I remember one or two later levels where you had to "bounce" to platforms of increasing height, which meant you were turning head to tails every couple of seconds.

It's funny - in Portal 2 they've added all these new mechanics that you're meant to use to solve the puzzles, but I still keep finding myself trying to use the old tricks with just portals. Unfortunately, the creators seem to have anticipated and prevented most of the tricks this time, so that each room can only really be solved the "correct" way.

well you say that now, but wait until you get to the Conversion Gel (aka white paint)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Kelaan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:26 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, I remember one or two later levels where you had to "bounce" to platforms of increasing height, which meant you were turning head to tails every couple of seconds.

I did lots of careful ledge-backing to get from one level to the next, on that puzzle; it was not the intended way but it worked. :)

Bummer. Though, to an extent, that's part of the puzzle: "this'd be great if I could .... wait, that tile is portal-ineligible."

But I did like the thinking with portals.
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:55 pm

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha. The ending is bloody brilliant.

Some of the later puzzles are pretty devious. You really do have to figure out the whole thing and then perform it in one go, or you'll end up going in circles until you work it out.

Yeah, talking about how they restrict you, most of it is the fact that a lot of rooms are built with tiles that won't take portals, so you have very limited options on what to do - you can place portals only in pre-designated locations. Even Conversion Gel can only really be placed in certain positions because of this. There's no more chance of doing things like using portals to bounce yourself up onto an elevator and skip the puzzle.

It's definately a stronger puzzle game for it, but there was an element of fun in working out new ways of doing things by being clever with your portals in Portal 1.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sanctity » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Apparently they went up from an 8 man team (Portal 1) to a full 40 on portal 2 and they had better play testing. They only left in alternate solutions they felt weren't too easy. Fantastic game, I had to take a break halfway through because after 3 hours in my chair I was becoming dehydrated. In of itself the dehydration was, of course, not an issue but it had the undesirable effect of impairing my problem solving skills and making me irritable.

So many good lines that would be completely spoilerific however I think this one is spoiler-lite enough to say: I REALLY want the sound clip of the warning from pretty early on that ends with "If the laws of physics not longer apply in the future, God help you."
*spoilers*(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6lgSo6RvBU around 7:30)*/spoilers*

I did like how there wasn't any mention of the fictitious dessert of Portal 1 notoriety, there's been quite enough of that in other games :)
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Sanctity wrote:I did like how there wasn't any mention of the fictitious dessert of Portal 1 notoriety, there's been quite enough of that in other games :)

I feel like if I contradict you here it would be spoilers for those who have not gotten through certain chapters, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

There's totally a mention of cake in the game.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sanctity » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Sanctity wrote:I did like how there wasn't any mention of the fictitious dessert of Portal 1 notoriety, there's been quite enough of that in other games :)

I feel like if I contradict you here it would be spoilers for those who have not gotten through certain chapters, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

You realise of course that I am going to have to play through again now that you've said that? You cruel, cruel person :p
I think the trick's that you made someone proud.
Sanctity

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Sanctity wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

You realise of course that I am going to have to play through again now that you've said that? You cruel, cruel person :p

Well given that it was in no way hidden I'm betting you just overlooked it. If you want, throw me a PM and I'll tell you.
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 pm

Well, I guess I completely missed it too. Unless it was somewhere in the early part with all the fat jokes; I can't really remember all of them.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 am

I tried this game at a friends house for about an hour, almost any puzzle game can be addicting, but I don't see the real appeal of this game. :|
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:25 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Well, I guess I completely missed it too. Unless it was somewhere in the early part with all the fat jokes; I can't really remember all of them.

Well it was in the early part... to jog your memory:

"I can't believe you fell for that trap."
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah, I just finished my second play through (for the developer commentary) and saw it.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm

There are so many brilliant lines in this game, from absolutely everyone. And the animation, ye gods! Simply amazing, particularly as I slave away building simple rigs to animate a car for class.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Dazhbog

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:14 am

this is really cute: http://rain.nxe7.com/

SPOILERY, DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU BEAT SINGLE PLAYER
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum