Celebrity Idol - America vs World

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Celebrity Idol - America vs World

Postby Arnock » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Melathys wrote:the op states that whitney houston would be out...have you heard her sing lately? sure, in her prime she'd be a top contender, but I'm talking right now, so no dead people, and no one who has gone to hell (ie, whitney houston) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paCjsQi ... re=related

I actually agree with wierd al, now that I think of it. In all honesty, he's got to be one of the most talented singers out there, with all the styles he can do.

In these constraints, I'm 99.9% sure that the world would utterly destroy our little ol' USofA
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby tlitp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:20 am

cerwillis wrote:(...) if you guys really wanna cut heads with USA musicians, I welcome the challenge, post your best, and I'll come back with a Yank that created or perfected the style. FACT.

Some people may call them oldies, but all the listed performers are still in the business. Try to find US analogues.

Let's change the game : early The Prodigy (up to and including The Fat of The Land), Laibach, Aussies such as Snog or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (sorry for picking an extremely cheesy example, this clip makes me giggle like a little girl every single time). Not challenged enough, should we up the ante ? :P
tlitp

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 am

cerwillis wrote:Allison Krauss, Sarah Mac are amazing singers. Also, based purely on singing talent and ability:

Mary J Blige
Jennifer Hudson
Chris Cornell
Mike Patton

I think you'd have to handicap the USA pretty hard to make this an even competition.

Sarah MacLachlan is Canadian. Just throwing that out there.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Euphoria » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 am

I honestly can't think of any male singers that were born in the US I'd put up on an international stage. I'm comfortable with my suggestion for female artist but totally stumped on living male artists. I guess I could put forth BT, his voice isn't great but the boy has skillz when it comes to mixing music.

Nikachelle, listen to some of the Allison Krauss floating around on YouTube. A.) I think you'd like her and B.) she can hit all of those notes live.
Euphoria

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:34 am

I actually had a CD by her, great singer.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:19 am

Florence Welch hasn't been mentioned yet? :shock:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 am

katraya wrote:Florence Welch hasn't been mentioned yet? :shock:

Ooooo good call.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:44 am

Euphoria wrote:I honestly can't think of any male singers that were born in the US I'd put up on an international stage. I'm comfortable with my suggestion for female artist but totally stumped on living male artists. I guess I could put forth BT, his voice isn't great but the boy has skillz when it comes to mixing music.

Nikachelle, listen to some of the Allison Krauss floating around on YouTube. A.) I think you'd like her and B.) she can hit all of those notes live.

I thought Josh Groban was english or something, but turns out he was born in LA, so score one for the male american side. Most popular male american singers would likely come from country music, but I don't know the genre very well.
Melathys

Postby Arnock » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 am

I used to listen to a lot of country, haven't listened to much lately though. Alan Jackson and Mark Wills both come to mind as great vocalists
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby sahiel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:59 am

cerwillis wrote:Honestly, though, I've been too kind, if you guys really wanna cut heads with USA musicians, I welcome the challenge, post your best, and I'll come back with a Yank that created or perfected the style. FACT.
/thread

Hai der!
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 am

The Beatles are of course, awesome. They were just trying to sound like Elvis and black American musicians at the time, in their own words. NEXT!!!

P.S. Nika, Canadians get to be awesome too. I will now refer to American Music as the bestest in the world. Rush is from the future and Geddy Lee sings like my Grandma, but better. Check this mullet out! :lol:

Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 am

tlitp wrote:
cerwillis wrote:(...) if you guys really wanna cut heads with USA musicians, I welcome the challenge, post your best, and I'll come back with a Yank that created or perfected the style. FACT.

Some people may call them oldies, but all the listed performers are still in the business. Try to find US analogues.

Let's change the game : early The Prodigy (up to and including The Fat of The Land), Laibach, Aussies such as Snog or Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (sorry for picking an extremely cheesy example, this clip makes me giggle like a little girl every single time). Not challenged enough, should we up the ante ? :P

For the first part of the list, well, folk music is folk music. Those clips are good, but I thought that this game was about pop stars. And besides, you actually called her the "French Madonna". We currently have a star by the name of Lady Gaga. Perhaps you have heard of her.

IMO music isn't a competition, but these stupid shows have made it one. I was a little drunk last night, but again, in a steel-cage match of pop stars, it's not a fair fight.
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:27 am

Where was it decided that this was about pop? I thought this was just about good vocals in general.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:34 am

Nikachelle wrote:Where was it decided that this was about pop? I thought this was just about good vocals in general.

hmm so Jay-Z and Nate Dogg would be on this list.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby cerwillis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

Thread Title wrote:Celebrity Idol - America vs World

Doesn't that mean it's like the show?
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum