japan tsunami

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Masumi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11 am

I currently have 3 of my cousins from over there staying at our house. Kana had her left arm broken during the quake so my father took her to the hospital as soon as they got here to make sure they did a proper job over there. I am hoping the radiation issue subsides since the rest of my cousins and family members are still over there.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Image
User avatar
Masumi
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 am

Flipthebird wrote:Just because you think something is funny, and it's alright if you do, doesn't mean everyone else should be able to laugh about it as well.


No one says they should laugh about it. They just don't have the right to force you not to say it. Freedom of speech is a two way street and all. Which is why it sucks that I actually have to support the WBC in their funeral protests no matter how vile I think they are.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7505
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby katraya » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 am

The BBC actually had an interesting article on the subject of jokes about tragedies.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389

The comments included at the end of the article reflect a lot of what has been said here. People cope in different ways. Some people makes these jokes to lighten the mood while others do it for pure shock value. It is significantly harder to tell the difference between the two when you're dealing with text based communications.
Image
User avatar
katraya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2112
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Flipthebird » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 am

Flex wrote:
Flipthebird wrote:Just because you think something is funny, and it's alright if you do, doesn't mean everyone else should be able to laugh about it as well.


No one says they should laugh about it. They just don't have the right to force you not to say it. Freedom of speech is a two way street and all. Which is why it sucks that I actually have to support the WBC in their funeral protests no matter how vile I think they are.


I agree. But just because you can do something, doesn't mean you always should.

And my main beef is that people who do intentionally offend like to use the ol' "you shouldn't be so sensitive" crap as if it's the offended's duty to change who they are so the offender can be who he is. They tend to think that free speech is single-lane street and everyone else needs to get to their speed limit or get out of the way.

In reality, free speech is a two-lane street (like you said), but two-lane streets can have yield signs.

WBC is a terrible, terrible cult. They have every right according to the law to do what they do. But, because they do what they do, they are not part of our civilized community. They are a seperate entity bent on causing grief to get their point across.
So Hitler was a vegatarian, and a painter.

He must of been like, 'Ahh I can't get the fricken trees...DAMN I will kill EVERYBODY in the world!"

-Eddie Izzard
Flipthebird
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 am
Location: Texas

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Jabari » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:47 am

Nikachelle wrote:Edit: And this guy was fired from his job for making crass jokes about Japan. http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00039020.html


A couple of pages late, sorry.

Aflac does about 75% of its business in Japan, so that idiot (not going to defile the word "comedian") had it coming for not even knowing the company he was shilling for.


Side note: There's a story going around the Asian media (with a blurb on the BBC) that the US offered help immediately and was turned down as that "help" had some pretty nasty strings attached. Anyone have any more insight into that?
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Jabari wrote:Aflac does about 75% of its business in Japan, so that idiot (not going to defile the word "comedian") had it coming for not even knowing the company he was shilling for.


Dude's been doing pretty successful comedy for 30+ years so it is kinda silly to not call him a comedian.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7505
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Fivelives » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. US "aid" has always come with strings attached - and pretty hefty ones at that. As far as I know, we're the only country in the world that requires quid pro quo for disaster relief. Most countries generally get something in return, but it's given out of respect and friendship - not as a requirement for the aid given.

As far as the WBC, I support them because that's what I fought for in the military. Even the protesters in DC got my support, while I was at Walter Reed. Do I think what they're doing is right? Not a chance in hell. Would I die to protect their rights to do it? Yes.

My cousin and I are tossing around ideas of how to interrupt a WBC protest. So far, we're thinking about dressing up like flaming homosexuals (fishnet muscle t-shirts, circa 70s short shorts, etc.) and propositioning the protesters mid-protest. Then, doing the exact same thing during their "church" services. It should be great fun - we'll even bring boom boxes and blare songs from the Village People while we're at it. I doubt it'll ever happen though, sadly. But if anyone wants to take our idea and run with it, you've got my full support, heh.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Arnock » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Fivelives wrote:My cousin and I are tossing around ideas of how to interrupt a WBC protest. So far, we're thinking about dressing up like flaming homosexuals (fishnet muscle t-shirts, circa 70s short shorts, etc.) and propositioning the protesters mid-protest. Then, doing the exact same thing during their "church" services. It should be great fun - we'll even bring boom boxes and blare songs from the Village People while we're at it. I doubt it'll ever happen though, sadly. But if anyone wants to take our idea and run with it, you've got my full support, heh.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmMONoB8xn0
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: japan tsunami

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:03 pm

i wasnt trying to put a time limit on when things are ok to joke about

i was trying to point out that as time moves on, there are fewer ppl still sore about them

and it is completely different if you are making jokes amongst family and friends, but if there is anyway what you say is going to be public, then why even risk a lawsuit?
ffs everyone is so dam sue happy anymore

i agree freedom of speech is a 2way street
and i may not agree with alot of stuff that is said, i am not trying to get it taken off air

it may make me sick seeing ppl use tragedy for profit/comedy, but i just think they shouldnt do it
i dont try to shut them down and/or get them censored.

tbh its my choice to listen to/read what i want, and nobody is forcing me
last time i checked we didnt live under a dictator.
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7411
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Masumi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Flex wrote:
Jabari wrote:Aflac does about 75% of its business in Japan, so that idiot (not going to defile the word "comedian") had it coming for not even knowing the company he was shilling for.


Dude's been doing pretty successful comedy for 30+ years so it is kinda silly to not call him a comedian.


Flex you are just a heartless person that wants to watch everyone die because you are not happy about yourself. that person deserved to be fired.
Want to know how I am currently feeling? listen to the music in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdNWYUMZpo
Image
User avatar
Masumi
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Tenaka » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Masumi wrote:Flex you are just a heartless person that wants to watch everyone die because you are not happy about yourself. that person deserved to be fired.


You seriously confuse me at times, and I would imagine I'm not alone.
Tenaka
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:58 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby theckhd » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Masumi wrote:
Flex wrote:
Jabari wrote:Aflac does about 75% of its business in Japan, so that idiot (not going to defile the word "comedian") had it coming for not even knowing the company he was shilling for.


Dude's been doing pretty successful comedy for 30+ years so it is kinda silly to not call him a comedian.


Flex you are just a heartless person that wants to watch everyone die because you are not happy about yourself. that person deserved to be fired.


How does whether or not it made business sense for Aflac to fire him have anything to do with whether or not he's been a successful comedian?

Many normal people find humor cathartic, especially in really dangerous or depressing situations. I appreciated all the 9/11 jokes I heard on 9/11, not because I'm an evil jerk, nor because a plane crash-landed within 100 miles of where I was going to college, but because it was a pretty fucking terrible day and it was nice to have a short break from the seriousness and tension.

Would I feel differently if I had lost someone? Possibly, but I don't think so. Humor has always been one of my coping mechanisms. Tragedy sucks, but you can't be depressed and sad all the time or it eats you alive from the inside. It's far better to be able to step back and realize that while everything sucks right now, things will get better, and that's what humor does for a lot of people.

For the record, I think Gilbert is fucking hilarious, as were several of his tweets. They were making light of a terrible situation, but in an uplifting and most importantly not insulting or culturally insensitive way.

I'll take jokes like "Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach, the beach comes to them" over the sort of hate-filled "this is what Japanese deserve" bullshit that you're seeing coming out of the mouths of people like Glenn Beck. Who do you really think is the hateful, heartless person in that scenario?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Dantriges » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 pm

So perhaps we could direct the discussion back on topic.

They said in the News that Tepco thinks about encasing the whole thing in concrete. This is a very different solution from the one in the explanation posted above that they could just flood it with seawater. So is this information about the flooding wrong or is there another reason they don´t use it?
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: japan tsunami

Postby bldavis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:37 pm

flooding it will serve to cool it down
encasing it in concrete, if it is thick enough, will permanently entomb it
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 7411
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: japan tsunami

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm gunna get shot for this, but when freedom of speech encircles the right to make hate speeches and vilify and incite violence then that shit needs to get the fuck gone. I'd rather not have the right.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest