Remove Advertisements

ever had this happen to you?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: ever had this happen to you?

Postby Skwigelf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 am

Malkieri wrote:I generally reread my books 4 or 5 times...so I get that feeling but from a different source if you will..it's more sort of:

'Damn I really want to reread that - it was great, but I read it so recently I can still recall too much of it in too fine a detail....what else do I have on the shelves?'

Sometimes this is followed by: 'Heeeyy yea! That was a good one - I'll go for that again!'

But more often by: 'Dammit I've read all these books too much - I need to get to the bookstore and expand my collection. :roll:'

I'm in the same boat. I love sci-fi/fantasy and I love Warhammer 40k(omg nerd!).

Currently reading the Horus Hersey series. Unfortunately I only have like 5 or 6 of the 15 or so books in the series. So I read them. And re-read them. And re-read them some more.

I'm actually considering getting a Kindle and downloading the whole series now that the Black Library sells e-books. I haven't read the first dozen or so books in a long time, as they all belong to my brother and he moved to London which is about a 2 and a half hour drive from Toronto.
Skwigelf

Postby katraya » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 am

I can't reread books. Maybe years and years later but that's it. No matter how much i enjoy a book I just can't take the time to go through it all again if I already know what happens. They are just too many books and too little time.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:59 am

Masumi wrote:You read a book, watch a cartoon, a tv series and it is so well made that when it gets to the end you can't help like you are missing something?

I finished reading a book a couple of weeks, and for some reason when I got to the end I felt really sad by the ending, it was not a sad ending but just felt like if something special to me is slowly fading from me. the next day I got back from work and looked at my desk and saw the book, it felt like I had missed something like an emptiness and I stood there looking at the book.

Back when I was a child, this happened to me all the time, with Jules Verne and Conan Doyle being the worst offenders.

Nowadays, it happens far more rarely, but I still get caught off guard every now and then.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Santcuff » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 am

I got really sad when scrubs ended (season 8, season 9 doesn't count)
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Postby culhag » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm

I had a big feeling of emptiness when I finished Ocarina of Time and Hyperion.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 pm

katraya wrote:I can't reread books. Maybe years and years later but that's it. No matter how much i enjoy a book I just can't take the time to go through it all again if I already know what happens. They are just too many books and too little time.

Curiously, I re-read in a span of weeks between each readings, all harry potter books in a number inverse to their position in the collection.
Book 1 was read 6 times when I was 10
Book 2 was read 5 times when I was 11
Book 3 was read 5 times when I was 12
Book 4 was read 4 times when I was 13
Book 5 was read 3 times when I was 16
Book 6 was read 2 times when I was 17
Book 7 was read 2 times when I was 20.

Of all of those, only the seventh caused the feeling that created this thread, but I always defaulted to reading something when bored and out of games, and these were the ones most often available.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:43 am

Skwigelf wrote:Currently getting my Whed-on.
/snip

"That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, bingo!"

Seriously, love those series, though I was disappointed with how they ended Angel. And yes, every time I watch the "The Body" I tear up. My favorite part of the episode is when Anya has her breakdown of not understanding what is going on, and everyone getting upset with her for being tactless. I'm actually starting to lose it just thinking about it.

Favorite episodes from Buffy:
"Once More, with Feeling" (probably for the same reason I enjoy watching "Glee", I'm a sucker for musicals)
"Tabula Rasa" ("Randy Giles... no wonder I hate you!")
"The Body" (For the reasons listed above, bit of trivia... it's the only episode in the entire series done sans music, including the opening credits.)

And to answer the OP: Yes.

Books:
Piers Anthony with his Xanth series (still continuing, but it's painful sometimes in between books) and the Incarnations of Immortality
Jim Butcher and the Dresden Files
Harry Potter series

TV Shows:
Buffy (Fairly good wrap-up ending)
Will & Grace (which also has a very appropriate ending, but still was sad to see it end)
Glee (still on-going, but it sucks having to wait for a season to end to catch up.)
Smallville (same as Glee)

Movies:
Harry Potter series (it's a good series, in book and in movie :))
The Dark Knight (especially knowing that Ledger won't be able to reprise his role)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum