Remove Advertisements

Home networking question

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Home networking question

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am

Vanifae wrote:Isn't the PS3 wireless?

I have both my Xbox and PS3 on the wireless and everything works just fine, I don't do much online gaming with them but video streaming over the internet or network is A-OK.

I'm... not actually sure. I know I shutdown our wireless access when I thought we had someone piggybacking of our signal, but that might be worth looking into.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 am

It is wireless out of the box, also if someone is piggy backing use better security.

The Xbox 360 is not unless you have the new ones.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 am

Vanifae wrote:It is wireless out of the box, also if someone is piggy backing use better security.

The Xbox 360 is not unless you have the new ones.

Someone wasn't. But my bandwidth had shot through the roof and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out it was having video cams on 24/7 when he lived outside the country and that was causing upwards of 10-15 gigs of transfer out just in a single day.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 am

Well, we thought someone was piggybacking. Turns out it was just US; using video chat 24/7 eats through bandwidth. Apparently.

edit: fs woman
Invisusira

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:00 am

I would recommended wireless if you want to cut down on cable runs.

Both are very easy to setup as well.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Rachmaninoff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 am

I did this myself once. I had my computer and my ruku box (for netflix) and only 1 Ethernet cord connected to my room in this house I was living in. I hooked up an old router unit I had. Took me awhile to do this but what you need to do is reconfigure your router. (192.168.1.1) Disable the DHCP on the router. It will then act as a switch. Win.
Rachmaninoff

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:26 am

I was looking in to disabling DHCP, but I can't figure out how to connect to the damn thing. Any router IP just gets me the modem (which has a router in it).

Granted, it seems to be working now - I plugged everything into LAN ports on the back of the router instead of using the WAN port.
Invisusira

Postby Punkss2 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 am

Do you have access into the modem/router? If so, see what nodes are pulling ip addresses. Type ip address into web browser until one pops up with the 2nd router. Hope you remember the password for the router if you set one. Reguardless, it seems like you have a solution that is working. If it aint broke dont fix it! :P
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:35 am

Punkss2 wrote:Do you have access into the modem/router? If so, see what nodes are pulling ip addresses. Type ip address into web browser until one pops up with the 2nd router.

heh, that's actually what I was doing before
Invisusira

Postby Rachmaninoff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am

Invisusira wrote:I was looking in to disabling DHCP, but I can't figure out how to connect to the damn thing. Any router IP just gets me the modem (which has a router in it).

Granted, it seems to be working now - I plugged everything into LAN ports on the back of the router instead of using the WAN port.

I think thats how I did it. Its been over a year since I moved out of that place. I plugged the wire coming in into a port and not the modem/lan/wan input. But that was after I disabled the DHCP. I just plugged my laptop into the 2nd router and configured it that way.
Rachmaninoff

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Invisusira wrote:gaming?

on wireless internet?

This reminded me of my dad who is an awesome old man gamer..

Dad: "What do you mean you can play games without a damn wire?! YOUR GOING TO DC ALL THE TIME!!!"

Me: "I just pwned your face for the last hour on a wireless, would you like me to connect the ethernet cable?"

Dad: "Hell no... since your not using the cable you can hang yourself with it.. *mumble* I hate this damn game."
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby thegreatheed » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Invisusira wrote:I was looking in to disabling DHCP, but I can't figure out how to connect to the damn thing. Any router IP just gets me the modem (which has a router in it).

Disconnect the router from the rest of your network.
Plug your PC into the router.
Open the command window (old dos style prompt, type CMD in the run line).
type ipconfig

If it comes back with an address listed for the default gateway, that's the IP address of the router.

Here's where having this router here can cause problems.
If that router has an IP address of say 192.168.1.1, and your main router has that same IP address, you will eventually have issues. Conflicting IP addresses are bad news.

Let's say that this router has an IP of 192.168.2.1 and everything else in the house is 192.168.1.xxx. If you change that router to 192.168.1.something, you'll be able to connect to it when everything is back how it was assembled. so give it a static IP, but make sure that static IP isn't inside the DHCP range of the first router, usually like 192.168.1.100-199 or something like that.
thegreatheed

Postby Vanifae » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I game on wireless all the time, not shitty Airport wireless but at home high speed zoom zoom wireless.

Unless that was sarcasm.
Vanifae

Postby Dunkan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 am

What you need to do is reach into your solid-plate pocket and pull out around 30 gold. ($30).

Go to the nearest cheap ass computer shop and buy a cheap 10/100 switch. 4 ports will be fine for your needs. DLINK, LINKSYS, NETGEAR for example.

Check if the switch has an Uplink port or a button on one end that say MDIX. This is a crossover port, essentially.

If it does not have one, buy a $5 Crossover cable.

Go home

Plug your ethernet cable (or crossover cable) into your router and the other end into the switch. Hook your other peripherals into the switch.

That will work unless you have faulty cables.

Thing is, Port to Port must be crossover. Port to Host is straight through.

Gluck.
Khaz'goroth Oceanic
Dunkan

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:44 am

So now every time one of us boots up our computer, we have to go and work some fuckin miracles - unplugging the other router, renewing DHCP leases, etc - to connect to the internet.

Tried plugging the second router straight into my computer to turn off DHCP, but couldn't get the thing to show up.

Dunkan's solution of "stop pulling shit out from under the bed" is looking better and better.
Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum